Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! (27234 Views)

Olufunke Oshonaike Survives Ghastly Accident (Photos) / Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 / Funke Oshonaike Bows Out Of 2020 Tokyo Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by 5Ebisco: 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2018
Nigerian table tennis legend, Funke Oshonaike took to her Facebook page to recount her life experiences. According to her, she was sexually abused, battered and duped by a man 10 years older than me.

She however encouraged her followers not to give up on their dreams.

Read her facebook post below;

My name is olufunke oshonaike(God gave me to my parents to take care of) . I’ve really been loved and well taken care of by my parents . After getting a lot of discouraging messages from lot of people , though not new to me , I’ve decided to let you know a little about this super woman.

I started representing nigeria at the age of 14. I give God almighty the glory for this talent and all that I’ve achieved today . This are some of the downs in my life that made me a strong woman;

*When I was in primary 6, I ran out of school to play a competition at Rowe park and I was seriously caned by my teacher but I never gave up on Table tennis

*I was always booed every time I played a competition back then in Nigeria because I was very shy! I asked why and I was told that I was proud, arrogant, blunt and I don’t mix with people. I’m talking about Funke at the age of 13 till 19. I cried a lot ,went trough a lot, and there was even a time the crowd was going to stab me in Lagós because I defeated there darling Biola Odumosu my arch rival back then at Rowe park. My Nos 1 fan, my dad consoled me and still never gave up on table tennis in Nigeria. My decision

funktt.jpg

* left nigeria after my diploma course at university of lagos to pursue my professional career, that was my decision even when I was advised not to go.

*left italy after 4yrs to Germany in 1998 because I wanted more, that was my decision.

*I got pregnant during my career and I was confused on what to do, but I kept it and I was still playing professional tt till I was 7 months pregnant which is like a taboo in nigeria!i even played African championship and won it , though nobody knew I was pregnant !That was my decision .

*i gave birth to my first child 2003 and I played all Africa games the same year and won 4 gold medals for Nigeria. My child was barely 6 months old. That was my decision

* I went to see my boyfriend of 10yrs relationship and I saw him sleeping in a bed with her girlfriend! I was heartbroken !The next day I had to travel to Australia, Sydney 2000. I cried all the way from Nigeria to Australia but I never gave up on men and my training. That was my decision

* I was physically, sexually, emotionally and mentally abused by a man that was 10yrs older than me . This man beat me ooo for more than 3 yrs and I remembered always going to Unilag with a battered face but I still never gave up on TT , men or living. That was my decision

I was duped of all my properties and my bank account was in his name(olodo funke). I left everything without looking back and I started my life all over again. It was very hard for me, but that was my decision

I fell in love again with my best friend here in Germany , 3 months to our wedding, he went to nigeria on holiday and he was shot by armed robbers ! I went through hell here in Germany without him. I mourned him for 2yrs, stopped going to nigeria because of him but still never gave up on TT and living . That was my decision.

*I’ve been spending my money to represent nigeria lately and I can’t remember the last time I’ve been payed any allowance or the last time i was awarded for winning for my country. I’m very hurt about a lot of things that’s happening in sports in nigeria but because of the love I have for my country, I’m still trying my best to keep on keeping on. That’s my decision .

I was born in the 70s and I know one thing for sure that people born in 70s don’t give up on things easily. We learned ‘ise ni OGUN ise Mura si ise ore mi…….’. . So to some of you discouraging me, you’re just encouraging me indirectly because I’ve gone through a lot in my life that has made me stronger than you. Live your life and allow others do the same. I ain’t giving up on my dreams because of some no life, no dream people. TOKYO 2020, HERE I COME

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1676428002416394&id=100001476321803

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by greatnaija01: 10:29pm On Mar 11, 2018
wow.. SHE IS STRONG O... to grow through these tough things and still be a SUCCESS.... THIS IS A TRUE SLAY QUEEN for she has slain her demons.

124 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by thorpido(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2018
She's really been through a lot.I like the fact that she's taken a stand and she won't give up.

However, girls should stop being naive.I don't like the idea of unwanted pregnancies.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by stephleena(f): 10:38pm On Mar 11, 2018
5Ebisco:
Nigerian table tennis legend, Funke Oshonaike took to her Facebook page to recount her life experiences. According to her, she was sexually abused, battered and duped by a man 10 years older than me.

My name is olufunke oshonaike(God gave me to my parents to take care of) . I’ve really been loved and well taken care of by my parents . After getting a lot of discouraging messages from lot of people , though not new to me , I’ve decided to let you know a little about this super woman.

I started representing nigeria at the age of 14. I give God almighty the glory for this talent and all that I’ve achieved today . This are some of the downs in my life that made me a strong woman;

*When I was in primary 6, I ran out of school to play a competition at Rowe park and I was seriously caned by my teacher but I never gave up on Table tennis

*I was always booed every time I played a competition back then in Nigeria because I was very shy! I asked why and I was told that I was proud, arrogant, blunt and I don’t mix with people. I’m talking about Funke at the age of 13 till 19. I cried a lot ,went trough a lot, and there was even a time the crowd was going to stab me in Lagós because I defeated there darling Biola Odumosu my arch rival back then at Rowe park. My Nos 1 fan, my dad consoled me and still never gave up on table tennis in Nigeria. My decision

funktt.jpg

* left nigeria after my diploma course at university of lagos to pursue my professional career, that was my decision even when I was advised not to go.

*left italy after 4yrs to Germany in 1998 because I wanted more, that was my decision.

*I got pregnant during my career and I was confused on what to do, but I kept it and I was still playing professional tt till I was 7 months pregnant which is like a taboo in nigeria!i even played African championship and won it , though nobody knew I was pregnant !That was my decision .

*i gave birth to my first child 2003 and I played all Africa games the same year and won 4 gold medals for Nigeria. My child was barely 6 months old. That was my decision

* I went to see my boyfriend of 10yrs relationship and I saw him sleeping in a bed with her girlfriend! I was heartbroken !The next day I had to travel to Australia, Sydney 2000. I cried all the way from Nigeria to Australia but I never gave up on men and my training. That was my decision

* I was physically, sexually, emotionally and mentally abused by a man that was 10yrs older than me . This man beat me ooo for more than 3 yrs and I remembered always going to Unilag with a battered face but I still never gave up on TT , men or living. That was my decision

I was duped of all my properties and my bank account was in his name(olodo funke). I left everything without looking back and I started my life all over again. It was very hard for me, but that was my decision

I fell in love again with my best friend here in Germany , 3 months to our wedding, he went to nigeria on holiday and he was shot by armed robbers ! I went through hell here in Germany without him. I mourned him for 2yrs, stopped going to nigeria because of him but still never gave up on TT and living . That was my decision.

*I’ve been spending my money to represent nigeria lately and I can’t remember the last time I’ve been payed any allowance or the last time i was awarded for winning for my country. I’m very hurt about a lot of things that’s happening in sports in nigeria but because of the love I have for my country, I’m still trying my best to keep on keeping on. That’s my decision .

I was born in the 70s and I know one thing for sure that people born in 70s don’t give up on things easily. We learned ‘ise ni OGUN ise Mura si ise ore mi…….’. . So to some of you discouraging me, you’re just encouraging me indirectly because I’ve gone through a lot in my life that has made me stronger than you. Live your life and allow others do the same. I ain’t giving up on my dreams because of some no life, no dream people. TOKYO 2020, HERE I COME

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/03/3-months-to-my-wedding-my-fiance-was.html
so beautiful and strong

11 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by josh123(m): 11:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
She is a real woman unlike all those broke girls pretending to b porch

8 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by PlaybooyGANG(m): 4:28am On Mar 12, 2018
stephleena:

so beautiful and strong

So you quote the whole post just to write this

You see your life??

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by metroid(m): 6:05am On Mar 12, 2018
God bless you

3 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by kokozain(m): 6:06am On Mar 12, 2018
This is encouraging

4 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by wunmi590(m): 9:30am On Mar 12, 2018
Welcome to Nigeria, where Nigerians lives id like cow meat.
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:31am On Mar 12, 2018
stephleena:

so beautiful and strong

Yea, whatever does not kill you ...
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by ChiefSweetus: 9:32am On Mar 12, 2018
Chai, d aunty fine o! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by dignitate: 9:32am On Mar 12, 2018
5Ebisco:
Nigerian table tennis legend, Funke Oshonaike took to her Facebook page to recount her life experiences. According to her, she was sexually abused, battered and duped by a man 10 years older than me. abi her

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1676428002416394&id=100001476321803
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Brymo: 9:33am On Mar 12, 2018
grin
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 12, 2018
I celebrate real women and they are few. This is one of them cool

15 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by ceecee0703(m): 9:34am On Mar 12, 2018
Holy lawd I salute you, beautiful and a darling!

2 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 12, 2018
Heard it on radio, I feel for her.
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by oneda(m): 9:37am On Mar 12, 2018
The labor of our heroes past shall never be in vain

who are these heroes?
Those that planted this tribalism in our polity with their sectoral politics?
Those that played regional politics and divided us on religious lines?
Or we talking about our living ancestors who even at 80+ won't give way to the young generation?
Please tell me, mention one of such heroes and don't you dare mention Nnamdi Azikiwe or Ahmadu Bello or Obafemi Awolowo and do not remind me of Gowon, Buhari etc al
This Lady here is the hero and all like her who even without pay still even use their own resources to do what needs to be done

11 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Christafarian(m): 9:37am On Mar 12, 2018
sad
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Sage7(m): 9:38am On Mar 12, 2018
In life, there are worse things!

Your situation can turnaround anytime

2 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Ishilove: 9:38am On Mar 12, 2018
thorpido:
She's really been through a lot.I like the fact that she's taken a stand and she won't give up.

However, girls should stop being naive.I don't like the idea of unwanted pregnancies.
The pregnancy didn't enter there on its own

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 12, 2018
You are in a room and can only walk out with as much as you want out of one of these -
Diamond, 'share'
Gold, "Comment"
Money, ''Like"
Which will you choose?
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by okonja(m): 9:39am On Mar 12, 2018
Weldone FUnke
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by fresherdanU: 9:40am On Mar 12, 2018
HERE IS TO WOMEN WHO KNOW HOW TO STRIVE EVEN WHEN LIFE KNOCKS THEM DOWN, THEY GET BACK UP.

THANK GOD FOR GRACE.
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Liftedhands(f): 9:40am On Mar 12, 2018
Wow!
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Oblongata: 9:40am On Mar 12, 2018
olodo, no go find job like your mates, dey there dey thief 10kobo , oloriburuku
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by iamdannyfc(m): 9:41am On Mar 12, 2018
Gr8, in jesus name "tribalist" on this thread disappear by fire!!!!!
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by shaybebaby(f): 9:41am On Mar 12, 2018
A worthy role model for every young girl out there.
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by majamajic(m): 9:42am On Mar 12, 2018
Ahhh
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by kennymartinz(m): 9:43am On Mar 12, 2018
Waoh what a strong woman.
Re: Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! by Liftedhands(f): 9:44am On Mar 12, 2018
thorpido:

Doc thorpido don't put the blame on girls alone! A pregnancy becomes unwanted cos the guy( in most instances) is scared of his responsibility.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Utd Vs Leicester City: Iheanacho Voted Leicester City's Man Of The Match / AFCON 2021 Round-of-16 : Burkina Faso Vs Gabon (7 - 6) pens On 23rd Jan 2022 / Katsina Utd Vs Remo Stars: How 2 Mins Added Time Afte Full Time Turns To 36 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.