Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

To Accept Or Not, Either Tea Or Coffee In A Serious Meeting Or Job Interview? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To Accept Or Not, Either Tea Or Coffee In A Serious Meeting Or Job Interview? (334 Views)

Job Of 130k On The Mainland Or Job Of 330k On The Island (please Advise Me) / Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To Accept Or Not, Either Tea Or Coffee In A Serious Meeting Or Job Interview? by Paulline: 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2018
Aaron Dinin answered on Quora:

Absolutely! 100% Yes! Without a doubt!

This is called the Hollywood Rule. I first learned it when I was fresh out of college during a meeting with a former Hollywood producer.

At the start of our meeting, he offered me a drink, and I said, “No thank you.” He then explained that, in Hollywood, the rule is you’re always supposed to accept a drink when it’s offered.

Here are some of the reasons why:

1) Show That You’re Comfortable

No matter how nervous you are, by accepting a drink at the beginning of a meeting, you’re showing the people you’re meeting with that you’re so comfortable you don’t even mind imposing on them to get something for you.

2) Put Yourself In Control

By having the person you’re meeting with get you a drink, you’re setting a precedent that you’re in control and the other person should be doing things for you. While not always appropriate or necessary, when you want something from the person you’re meeting (e.g. a job), it’s a useful way to reconfigure the power dynamic.

3) Acclimate To A New Environment

From an evolutionary perspective, the “hunter-gatherer brain” deep inside all of us needs a few minutes to adjust to any new environment before we feel safe. Since having part of your brain thinking about other things is problematic, accepting a drink gives you more time to adjust to your surroundings before you have to focus on the meeting itself.

For more news, information and updates click link below to follow us on:

https://drifternews..it/?m=1
Re: To Accept Or Not, Either Tea Or Coffee In A Serious Meeting Or Job Interview? by yorex2011: 6:31pm On Mar 12, 2018
I agree... Its a good way to ease tension

Just don't ask for bread or rice even though we know food is our problem here (look at at BBN). Just manage the tea

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need A Paypal Account That Can Send And Receive Money / Learn To Add Value To All You Do / Vacancy: Quantity Surveyor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.