Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,403 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Starting Out Programming? Read This: - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Starting Out Programming? Read This: (1904 Views)

Starting Out And Need All Help I Can Get / Eyeopener: Aspiring Nigerian Game/App Developers Should Read This / Who Wants To Learn Programming In Python Easily Without Stress? READ THIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Out Programming? Read This: by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 14, 2018
Starting Out Programming

Computer programming is gaining popularity by the day. Some people start it out as a hobby and others pursue a career out of it. Being mainly a self-taught programmer myself, here is 5 advice I will give to those starting out:

1. Start With The Core Web Technologies
Start with HTML, CSS then JavaScript. This is particularly true of your are starting out programming. The simple structure of web languages like HTML and CSS means you'll be making progress quickly. If you're going into programming for the challenge, must I say it is worth your while still. Try replicating common websites like google.com or another site you admire.

Another reason you may want to start out with the web is that the standards will pretty much remain the same for the foreseeable future. You don't have to worry that you are learning one fleeting technology that may soon become obsolete. With the dynamic nature of tech field, this is something to watch out for.

A third reason has to do with the popularity of HTML and CSS. Their popularity means you can run the code on just about any device, PC or mobile phone. If you're among the millions like myself that are without adequate power supply or resources, it's not hard to see why this is an advantage.

2. Get A Tutor/Mentor
This is important when starting out. The only reason you'll want to go through the self teaching path is if your circumstances relegate you to that. When you are just starting out, almost every choice is a tough call. What editor to use, what language to start with, what projects to work on, the list is endless. A mentor will both guide and stretch you beyond your comfort. Sometimes too, it's easier to have someone dish out what the best practices are and point out why it's like that. You save time and stress by following this step.

3. Learn Right
If you are currently learning from a book or tutorial that was published in 2004 (or around that time) you are doing it wrong. Depending on what you are learning, there is a good chance that most of it is obsolete. The material may be severely outdated. To avoid having to learn and relearn, it may be helpful learning on the internet directly. Another alternative will be getting a tutor who is. If you are going to do something worthwhile, you might as well do it right.

4. Start Teaching Others Too
Teaching others is not easy, particularly something that you are learning yourself. The goal here isn't to excel, at least not initially. Expect to be stuck and come across concepts you don't fully grasp yourself. This kind of challenge will only stretch you and make you level up in time. By all means teach others.

5. Have Fun
Technology has come has come a long way, developed and redeveloped in the process. At the moment, it is pretty sophisticated. It can be somewhat daunting taking in so many decades of knowledge and best practices. You will need patience while you make that journey. Enjoy every bit of it like you would the destination. Happy coding!

Here are some resources and tools to get you started

W3shools

Mozilla Developer Network

[url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.edit&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dquick+edit+apk+google+play&pcampaignid=APPU_1_YgSpWtSRB8eqUauPiMAK]QuickEdit Text Editor For Android[/url]

Reach me if you have inquiries:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 26, 2018
Additional Tools and Resource

[url=https://play.google.com/stoe/apps/details?id=com.mia.jsrun&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Djs+run+play+store&pcampaignid=APPU_1_b8C4WrfiM4usU8KHtiA]JSRun Run JavaScript On Android[/url]

HTML5 Doctor
Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by Nobody: 9:47am On May 28, 2018
Learn website design and programming the right way and fast. Use the WhatsApp invite link to join the group by me.

Learn Programming Link: plu. sh/dekn6
(Copy and paste link in new tab, remove spaces and hit enter)

It's free and practical
The lessons are self paced
You get to ask questions and get a response

You'll have access to resources like books, articles and videos on the subject

You can chat me up concerning this on WhatsApp

Or Call: 07033140170

Looking to meeting you! Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Lawrence
Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by tatawesome(f): 12:15pm On Jun 02, 2018
As a novice, can I venture into this field and not stuck I'm the long run? I want to make a career out of it
Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 04, 2018
tatawesome:
As a novice, can I venture into this field and not stuck I'm the long run? I want to make a career out of it

It's good you're looking at the long run. Everyone started as a novice. My advice will be that you should take that plunge. You're overly capable of making a career out of it.

1 Like

Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by ediko5(m): 8:49pm On Jun 04, 2018
Nice one there.

If you are in Rivers State. Let's learn it together. Check my signature
Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by tatawesome(f): 7:53am On Jun 05, 2018
Awwww! im resident in Lagos.
ediko5:
Nice one there.

If you are in Rivers State. Let's learn it together. Check my signature
Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by tatawesome(f): 7:53am On Jun 05, 2018
many thanks Mr. Lawrence.

lawrenceogri:

It's good you're looking at the long run. Everyone started as a novice. My advice will be that you should take that plunge. You're overly capable of making a career out of it.

1 Like

Re: Starting Out Programming? Read This: by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 05, 2018
tatawesome:
many thanks Mr. Lawrence.

You're most welcome. If you're unsure where to begin, please join this WhatsApp group by me:
Learn Programming Link: plu. sh/dekn6
(Copy and paste link in new tab, remove spaces and hit enter)

It's free and practical
The lessons are self paced
You get to ask questions and get a response

You'll have access to resources like books, articles and videos on the subject

You can chat me up concerning this on WhatsApp

(1) (Reply)

Why I Am Stepping Into Rust / Suggest Where I Can Learn Cyber Security/cloud Computing / Creating Application To Transcribe Audio To Text

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.