Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Please Advise Me On How To Go. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Advise Me On How To Go. (719 Views)

Advise Me On My Decision Plz / Kindly Advise Me. / Pls Guys Advise Me, I Want To Go Into It But I Dont Know What To Choose Adivse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise Me On How To Go. by VURN(m): 4:26pm On May 01, 2010
Hi, we just started a new programming course, CPE 414 ( assembly language and microprocessor programming). I want to really understand it before hand as some said it's d most difficult language. I really want you to advice me on steps as regards to the topics i should know in d order they are supposed to be read to achieve the best understanding of d course. I would really appreciate your advice.
Re: Please Advise Me On How To Go. by IbrahimB: 10:33pm On May 01, 2010
This may be helpful:

1. Understand the architecture of the microprocessor you're going to work with. Know the size of it's data/address bus (i.e. whether it's an 8/16/32 bit processor etc). You should also know the clock frequency of your processor.

2. Know the various addressing modes: immediate, register etc

3. Know the typical I/O that interface with the processor such as timers, ROM, RAM. You should understand how a processor accesses its peripherals

4. Know the registers of your processor. Processors usually have special-purpose registers (like the accumulator) and general-purpose registers.

5. Understand flags, zero flags, sign flag etc

6. Understand 1's and 2's complement arithmetic

7. Learn to work with hexadecimal and binary numbers. Be able to convert between them.

8. Learn to write pseudocodes, flow charts etc

9. Know the instruction sets for your processor like: mov, jmp, add, sub, goto etc. They may be different for your processor but the idea is the same

10.Finally, read as many texts as you can on the subject

Good luck!
Re: Please Advise Me On How To Go. by IbrahimB: 10:37pm On May 01, 2010
This may be helpful:

1. Understand the architecture of the microprocessor you're going to work with. Know the size of it's data/address bus (i.e. whether it's an 8/16/32 bit processor etc). You should also know the clock frequency of your processor.

2. Know the various addressing modes: immediate, register etc

3. Know the typical I/O that interface with the processor such as timers, ROM, RAM. You should understand how a processor accesses its peripherals

4. Know the registers of your processor. Processors usually have special-purpose registers (like the accumulator) and general-purpose registers.

5. Understand flags, zero flags, sign flags etc

6. Understand 1's and 2's complement arithmetic

7. Learn to work with hexadecimal and binary numbers. Be able to convert between them.

8. Learn to write pseudocodes, flow charts etc

9. Know the instruction sets for your processor like: mov, jmp, add, sub, goto etc. They may be different for your processor but the idea is the same

10.Finally, read as many texts as you can on the subject

Good luck!
Re: Please Advise Me On How To Go. by VURN(m): 11:05pm On May 07, 2010
@IbrahimB
i'm very gratefull for your advice and guidance. I now know how to go about studying the course as i now know what i am doing. Thanks so much
Re: Please Advise Me On How To Go. by IbrahimB: 11:20pm On May 07, 2010
Cheers smiley.

It's strange but my post is still not showing. I wonder why . . .
Re: Please Advise Me On How To Go. by Seun(m): 3:31am On May 08, 2010
Fixed

(1) (Reply)

Browsing / Help With Google Merchant Account / Learn Programming Language Of Your Choice FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.