Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,107 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? (1303 Views)

What Will You Do In A Marriage Like Mine? / Why Does Sex Slowly Die Off In A Marriage After 10+ Years?? / Nigeria Introduces New Federal Marriage Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by holluphemydavid(m): 4:21am On Mar 16, 2018
Good morning nairalanders, I was involved in a conversation of whom ought to keep the marriage certificate between the husband and the wife, pls the experienced people in the house should enlighten we that are coming up about this, knowledge is power they say, so we wudnt be an ignorant of this, thanks
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by LanreGH(m): 5:28am On Mar 16, 2018
There is no law that say who keeps the certificate. But many marriage/relationship counselors says the woman should keep the certificate.

I believe the woman should keep it since they are weaker vessels
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by Donald3d(m): 6:24am On Mar 16, 2018
LanreGH:
There is no law that say who keeps the certificate. But many marriage/relationship counselors says the woman should keep the certificate.

For some reasons the boldened just smashed a cord in my brain.It didn't just sit well with me grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by Donald3d(m): 6:29am On Mar 16, 2018
You both live in the same house.Personally I believe it should not be an issue.Find one safe water proof box and put am inside.Place it in a travelling box and put in your wardrobe or somewhere safe.As much as its important, its just paper.What you both share and how you treat each other is what matters

7 Likes

Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by Funkybabee(f): 10:19am On Mar 16, 2018
Wife ofcourse, And if it's court wedding self they will give her instantly to keep. I know that during my street sister wedding
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by chocolatemom(f): 10:55am On Mar 16, 2018
the wife of course, I was even told at the registry that it's my property.
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by ImaIma1(f): 12:27pm On Mar 16, 2018
LanreGH:

The fact that it is advised that the woman keeps it obviously does not go down well with you. That's why you had to drop the "weaker vessel" line even if it wasn't necessary in this context.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by holluphemydavid(m): 6:35am On Mar 18, 2018
chocolatemom:
the wife of course, I was even told at the registry that it's my property.
It's actually both court and church, d court own is coming up on 28th of dis month while d church is 5th of May
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by holluphemydavid(m): 6:36am On Mar 18, 2018
Funkybabee:
Wife ofcourse, And if it's court wedding self they will give her instantly to keep. I know that during my street sister wedding
It's both court and church
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by frozen70(f): 9:24am On Mar 18, 2018
holluphemydavid:
Good morning nairalanders, I was involved in a conversation of whom ought to keep the marriage certificate between the husband and the wife, pls the experienced people in the house should enlighten we that are coming up about this, knowledge is power they say, so we wudnt be an ignorant of this, thanks
Both church and court registry marriage certificate is always given to women to keep.
One of the reasons is that in case there is need for a divorce, the certificate is one of the most important documents to tender in the court as prove of marriage, so if the wife is interested in the divorce she will release it to the husband for processing of divorce and if she is not interested, on the divorce she won't release there by making it difficult for the man to apply. Its a weapon given to women incase the man messes up

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by Funkybabee(f): 12:55pm On Mar 18, 2018
holluphemydavid:

It's both court and church

Oh ok
Re: Who Is To Keep A Marriage Certificate? by holluphemydavid(m): 4:09pm On Mar 18, 2018
frozen70:

Both church and court registry marriage certificate is always given to women to keep.
One of the reasons is that in case there is need for a divorce, the certificate is one of the most important documents to tender in the court as prove of marriage, so if the wife is interested in the divorce she will release it to the husband for processing of divorce and if she is not interested, on the divorce she won't release there by making it difficult for the man to apply. Its a weapon given to women incase the man messes up
Hmmmmmm tanks, d information is helpful

(1) (Reply)

How To Homely Produce Powdered Detergent (e.g. OMO) / Where Can I Locate A Good Online Marriage Councellor / I Don't Worth Living Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.