Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria (17219 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by magazineguy(m): 9:00am On Mar 16, 2018
Life comes at you fast in the workplace and for some organisations, it’s just like high school all over again. There is no perfect work environment but for some, they have found themselves in the best possible workplaces imagined. As an employee, you need to be in a workspace that encourages optimum productivity not diminishes it. Discrimination is defined as the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex. Synonyms: prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanship.

It can also be described as recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another e.g. “discrimination between right and wrong”. For this article, I would be using the former.

Here are my top 4 types of discrimination you are most likely to come across in the workplace

Tribe

Where do you come from? In most workspaces, the dominant tribe rules and if you are not from there or understand their language then there is a problem. You are most likely to be treated unjustly if you are not from a particular tribe. You can even be judged by the attributes associated with people who are from your own tribe.

Being older or younger can either be in your favour or not. Even though there is no particular age that calculates efficiency or productivity, in most workspaces, it is embedded in the foundation of the organisation. Even job requirements have a stipulated age range if you are beyond the age bracket you don’t qualify for the position.

Marital Status

Are you married? In most workplaces, especially if you are of certain age, not being married doesn’t speak well of you and could be frowned upon. For men, it means they cannot manage managerial positions and therefore don’t qualify for promotions and for women every other female employee who is married would be treated better than you.

The world’s biggest issue. Inclusion.Gender is a major issue in the society with women protesting equality and fairness. In most workplaces being a woman is seen as weakness, emotional instability or pressure. Promotions are denied, compassion is ignored and if you have to take your child to the hospital, questions like “ where is your mind really at” is asked. For men, it is easier. The masculinity, the beards, the abs, even the gait is seen as a potential image of the organization to be a leader, to be nominated for a promotion or represents “that your mind is really here”. Which in most cases isn’t the case.

Other types of discrimination in workplace are; political believes or activity, religion, disability, pregnancy out of wedlock etc. Efficiency shouldn’t be judged by any of this but by what you bring to the table.

Not all workplaces encourage discrimination. I know of many that encourage inclusion and the above mentioned are not even thought about when you are about to be given the job.

If you are in a workplace that you feel you are discriminated against and there is nothing you can do about it, find another place. One that recognizes your worth and welcomes it. They exist. I work for one.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/4-types-workplace-discrimination-nigeria/

2 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by pharigoldltd: 2:50pm On Mar 16, 2018
Good.

Apply for Hobark International Fresh Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

Hobark International Limited (HIL) is the parent company of the Hobark group operating in the oil and gas industry. The company was incorporated in 1998, starting as a staffing agency based in Port Harcourt. Currently we have offices in 4 countries with our head office in Lagos. Hobark International Fresh Job Recruitment (6 Positions) as follows;

1.) Drilling Engineering Team Lead

Click Here To View Details

2.) Head Drilling Operation

3.) Head Drilling Engineering

4.) Drilling Project Manager

5.) Drilling Cost Performance Engineer

6.) Asset Integrity Engineer

Application Closing Date: Not Specified.

Source: http://jobs.cbizsoft.com/ucbizjobs/(X(1)S(3k0xihu5kxkja5qqfke0flhm))/jobs.aspx?cid=cbizl_okor&consintid=&consid=&contactid=&source=
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by miracool946: 2:50pm On Mar 16, 2018
stc

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Caustics: 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2018
grin
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by WittyBozz(m): 2:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
Word..word.. wink
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Freiburger(m): 2:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
5. Whom you know. The so-called connections.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Elparaiso(m): 2:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
I really don't understand why Africans use age as a determining factor for a lot of stuff. That you're older than me only means you were born before I was. That's all, not that you're better. Age doesn't always correlate with wisdom, it's just a number.

As for gender, I'm all for equal rights, that's another nonsense.

In 2018, we're still discriminating against the unmarried? Na ona know, come force me marry. It's a choice to get married, the same way it's a choice to be efficient and effective at work.

Tribe? Really, tribe? This one weak me.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Actuarydeji(m): 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
You forgt to add Religion

6 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by id4sho(m): 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2018
useless discrimination tips , wen work no dey.

1 Like

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by judecares1(m): 3:07pm On Mar 16, 2018
TRIBE

YORUBA PEOPLE ARE FOUND OF THIS

14 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Childofaking: 3:07pm On Mar 16, 2018
Do you know that in many advanced countries, it is illegal to asked for age or include age in your job requirements? Therefore people don't include age in the their cv. You asked for their age where you are not sure that the individual is up to the age for working.
But here age requirement is always loud and this make a lot of people to lie about their age. People have 2, 3, 4 or 5 cvs with different ages.
These are some of the things i expect the national assembly to look at especially in our labour law.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Sardonicus: 3:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
It is when you are about to leave they start realizing how valuable you are.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by berniceunice: 3:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
Religion
Tribe
Marital status
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by berniceunice: 3:11pm On Mar 16, 2018
Religion
Tribe
Marital status
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Yoruba4Life: 3:17pm On Mar 16, 2018
If you wanna play the tribal cards... Really?

At least, every other ethnicities and tribes thrive among each other at their host's home lands EXCEPT for the Igbos.

Not very many pple outside of the Igbo tribe can succeed in the South-East. They're very unfriendly sad , not welcoming sad and married to tribalism! angry angry angry Go figure!

7 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Yoruba4Life: 3:20pm On Mar 16, 2018
judecares1:
TRIBE

When your grammar is proficient enough, you'll be hearing from me.. angry angry

8 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Yoruba4Life: 3:21pm On Mar 16, 2018
Freiburger:
5. Whom you know. The so-called connections.

You mean 'Nepotism' angry

2 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by viqSmallz(m): 3:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
Tribal bigotry is evident in most organisations and funny how merit is set aside for tribal reasons. Reason why an expatriate led org or an expatriate filled org. fare better than those headed by Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Nymeria247(m): 3:34pm On Mar 16, 2018
Dear OP,

The following category of people are discriminated in the workplace too.

1. People with disabilities
2. People with different Political views
3. People with different Religious orientation
4. People with different sexual proclivities (Gays)

The world is made up of people who think their sh*t smells better than other peoples sh*t.
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Dammylois(f): 3:51pm On Mar 16, 2018
100% true
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by uuzba(m): 3:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
miracool946:
stc

Have your present for a wonderful achievement.
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by djbussy(m): 3:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
Years of experience.
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by djbussy(m): 4:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
Professional Certifications and referrals linking in getting the job.
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Dcholeric: 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2018
I don't agree with number four.

there's equality already ..if not more to help females
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Icon79(m): 4:45pm On Mar 16, 2018
The only reason any employer would be allowed to ask questions about age, marital status, and tribe is because Nigeria is a failed state. In an advanced society, no employer would ask you such questions because those questions don't have anything to do with your qualification for the job.

O pari
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by AlanTuringAI: 4:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
judecares1:
TRIBE

Shut your bigoted mouth up. There are an appreciable number of Igbos in the Lagos State Civil Service while in your enclave, the South East, we've seen a case of a governor (Theodore Orji, Abia) retrench fellow Igbos because they were not from Abia state. Is it such people that would then consider people from other tribes? Always quick to cry victims when you're worse off.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by easzypeaszy(m): 5:00pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nymeria247:
Dear OP,

The following category of people are discriminated in the workplace too.

1. People with disabilities
2. People with different Political views
3. People with different Religious orientation
4. People with different sexual proclivities (Gays)

The world is made up of people who think their sh*t smells better than other peoples sh*t.

r u gay?...ifni kw u in my wrkplc i wil tel u to ur face nt to evr greet me or try to assist me..bc na der toastin dey strt...mk i no go kil u
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by kazyhm(m): 5:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
judecares1:
TRIBE

you never jam hausa ? you go knw say yorubas are learning
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Buhari4Hunger: 5:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
judecares1:
TRIBE

Correct yourself
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Buhari4Hunger: 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2018
AlanTuringAI:

Shut your bigoted mouth up. There are an appreciable number of Igbos in the Lagos State Civil Service while in your enclave, the South East, we've seen a case of a governor (Theodore Orji, Abia) retrench fellow Igbos because they were not from Abia state. Is it such people that would then consider people from other tribes? Always quick to cry victims when you're worse off.
Asides civil service, most businesses are owned by Igbo's so the greater presence
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by Harfisco(m): 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
religion is the worlds biggest issue. not age as you have said
Re: 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria by dasparrow: 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2018
I bless God I do not reside in Nigeria. I cannot work with Nigerians because of their bigoted tendencies. It is the same reason I keep Nigerians at arm's length here abroad. I have never met a more bigoted group of people like Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Survive A Job Loss / Salary Earners: How Far Did Last Month Salary Take You This Month? / Access Bank Forces Staff To Take Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.