Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,072 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities (999 Views)

The Highest And Most Polished Culture On Earth Is Yoruba Culture - Reno Omokri / Itsekiri Is Yoruba- CAN President / Emir Dantoro Suspends Officials For Allowing Fulani Herdsmen Enter Communities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by Ofodirinwa: 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2018
Please this isn't to start a war or insult match. I want to know something about land ownership in Yoruba and Edo cultures

I've been made aware (though not sure how accurately) that in most yoruba communities that land is owned by a single baale.
I want to know, is land owned by the monarch in the yoruba community. In many african communities, land is the property of the community, under the ownership of a single king. Is it the same with Yoruba communities outside of major cities?

Also, does the Oba of Benin own the land or is it owned by individuals?

I'm trying to learn more about the system of monarchy in Africa compared to that of Europe
Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by FisifunKododada: 1:57am On Mar 19, 2018
Go and ask Davido - he is part Yoruba part Edo

Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by Ofodirinwa: 2:29am On Mar 21, 2018
so you don't know
Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by AxxeMan: 8:48am On Mar 21, 2018
Don't ever Put Edo in the same sentence as Yoruba!!....greatness and Fraud don't mix!!
Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by macof(m): 9:44am On Mar 23, 2018
AxxeMan:
Don't ever Put Edo in the same sentence as Yoruba!!....greatness and Fraud don't mix!!
this ones hatred for yorubas will still land him a juicy heart attack
Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by Ofodirinwa: 1:52pm On Mar 23, 2018
so you guys don't know either?
Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by geosegun(m): 10:57am On Mar 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
Please this isn't to start a war or insult match. I want to know something about land ownership in Yoruba and Edo cultures

I've been made aware (though not sure how accurately) that in most yoruba communities that land is owned by a single baale.
I want to know, is land owned by the monarch in the yoruba community. In many african communities, land is the property of the community, under the ownership of a single king. Is it the same with Yoruba communities outside of major cities?

Also, does the Oba of Benin own the land or is it owned by individuals?

I'm trying to learn more about the system of monarchy in Africa compared to that of Europe

In Yoruba nation, land is not owned by a single Baale or Oba but rather owned by each family, that make up a Village/town/community... has ancestral lands that they can either share, rent or sell, if required , and the proceeds shared among the family trees.

The Yorubas do not have a feudal system whereby land belongs to just one person.

A little digression: please note that the yoruba system of government is likened to the recent British government. The rights of women and children are also well respected generally, except for some greedy family members. Hence the reason women of other tribes prefer Yoruba men to others.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Land Ownership Is Yoruba/edo Communities by Aizenosa(m): 10:54am On Mar 25, 2018
In Benin in the old days the oba owns the land, but today it's the community who gives out the land, but paperwork with the obas signature must be given for the land.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

4 Fantastic Virtues Ancient Ibibio People Are Known For / Business Or Social Norms / Something For My Igbo Brothers And Sisters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.