Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. (4276 Views)

A Truck Conveying Goat & Grains Falls In Jos (Graphic Photos) / Fulani Man Helps A Stranded Lady & Her Friends In Jos (Photos) / Ring Road, Benin-city: See The Works Of Art That Adorn This City Center (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 1:59pm On Mar 18, 2018
Hi Everybody! I intend to relocate to Jos in the future because of the cool weather and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I want people who live and have lived in Jos to tell me/us about the following:
(a)how good is the road infrastructure?
(b)is Pidgin English widely spoken by the inhabitants or dwellers;and if not,then what language is spoken by the majority of the people?
(c)what is the security condition of the city?
(d)what is the price range of intra-city transport fare?
(e)how good is housing infrastructure. ?

This is definitely a front page thread!

cc: Seun,DisGuy,justwise,Freiburger, r231,Lalasticlala,Mynd44,Dominique,etc..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Danielomisco(m): 2:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
Why havnt u relocated since?this town is United State of Nigeria,Thats what you should know for now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by traeces(m): 2:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
Me too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 2:06pm On Mar 18, 2018
Danielomisco:
Why havnt u relocated since?this town is United State of Nigeria,Thats what you should know for now
Please,tell me more about this city.

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 2:31pm On Mar 18, 2018
I need answers to my questions. Folks just viewing! cry

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 2:34pm On Mar 18, 2018
@DisGuy, justwise,r231 & Freiburger,this is a noble topic for the front page.Please,move this thread or topic to the front page.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Danielomisco(m): 2:51pm On Mar 18, 2018
1.Infrastructure : well,road networks linking areas are very assessable and conducive. Few areas are not polished but very well manageable.
Average hanging out spots but the people lyt it up than any other Northen city in Nigeria.I heard some areas dnt have 24hr light but in my side I have 24hrs lyt.
2 by now u shud know Plateau State is the most learned state in North.Settlers and indigenes speak polished english and as well unstnd pidgin,and speak (pseudo)Hausa as a complimentary language of cos its the north central we understand Hausa language more than Igbo
3.Security condition: of course the town had issues of crisis,bombs but theres peace now as the town is divided into Jos north(predominantly muslims) and Jos south(Christian majority) tho both live in all regions in a fragile way.
4Transport is 20-30naira,50box,from Jos south where I live to Jos north main market I pay 80box hadly 100naira.
5housing is cheap getting comfy places for the price range of 60-120k face me I face u even cheaper 12k-40k
In conclusion the city is very accommodating,good weather,cheap with easy living and exposed individuals due to diversity reason we have all the major tribes settling here and never planning to go back and anyone that comes even for nysc never leaves

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
Danielomisco:
1.Infrastructure : well,road networks linking areas are very assessable and conducive. Few areas are not polished but very well manageable.
Average hanging out spots but the people lyt it up than any other Northen city in Nigeria.I heard some areas dnt have 24hr light but in my side I have 24hrs lyt.
2 by now u shud know Plateau State is the most learned state in North.Settlers and indigenes speak polished english and as well unstnd pidgin,and speak (pseudo)Hausa as a complimentary language of cos its the north central we understand Hausa language more than Igbo
3.Security condition: of course the town had issues of crisis,bombs but theres peace now as the town is divided into Jos north(predominantly muslims) and Jos south(Christian majority) tho both live in all regions in a fragile way.
4Transport is 20-30naira,50box,from Jos south where I live to Jos north main market I pay 80box hadly 100naira.
5housing is cheap getting comfy places for the price range of 60-120k face me I face u even cheaper 12k-40k
In conclusion the city is very accommodating,good weather,cheap with easy living and exposed individuals due to diversity reason we have all the major tribes settling here and never planning to go back and anyone that comes even for nysc never leaves
Nice reply!
How many kilometres(the distance) is Jos South to Jos North?
Is there any thing like taking taxi drop in Jos and what is the price range?

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Danielomisco(m): 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
EDUECO:
Nice reply!
How many kilometres(the distance) is Jos South to Jos North?
Is there any thing like taking taxi drop in Jos and what is the price range?
30-40mins Jos South to North.
Lol of cos there is drop to anywhere 200huns to 400hunz every where

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
Danielomisco:
30-40mins Jos South to North.
Lol of cos there is drop to anywhere 200huns to 400hunz every where
Whao! Transport is pretty cheap in Jos.

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by justwise(m): 4:06pm On Mar 18, 2018
EDUECO:
@justwise,this is a noble topic for the front page.Please,move the thread or topic to the front page.

Super mods will do their job if they think that the thread is front page worthy.

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 18, 2018
Danielomisco:
Which part of Jos have 24 hours electricity?
Jos i know is not too flashy though only stayed there for four days about 4 years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Danielomisco(m): 4:43pm On Mar 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Which part of Jos have 24 hours electricity?
Jos i know is not too flashy though only stayed there for four days about 4 years ago.
I never said "Jos is too flashy". Thats why I said some areas dont hve but where I stay Rayfield I have 24hrs light .

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 4:44pm On Mar 18, 2018
justwise:

Super mods will do their job if they think that the thread is front page worthy.
Alright Sir!
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 18, 2018
Danielomisco:

I never said "Jos is too flashy". Thats why I said some areas dont hve but where I stay Rayfield I have 24hrs light .
How is the weather there currently? Most times people think the place have all year freezing temperature. The weather when i came there around July 2014 was just average.

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 18, 2018
Compared to Jos, Bauchi looks neater, more organised and finer.

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 5:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

How is the weather there currently? Most times people think the place have all year freezing temperature. The weather when i came there around July 2014 was just average.
Does this mean it has day time weather that is very warm or hot?

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2018
EDUECO:
Does this mean it has day time weather that is very warm or hot?
Could be hot during the day but cold at night though not as hot when compared to Abuja, Lokoja.

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Danielomisco(m): 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Its not freezing ryt now but its definitely cooler than where u ar ryt now

2 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 9:22pm On Mar 18, 2018
Afroresorts:
Seychelles has some of the best resorts for your vacation waka in Africa you can check out on afroresorts.africa. I checked and the site has lots of good travel gist in several Countries.
Please,stop derailing this noble thread!
Is Jos we talking about not Seychelles.
Thank you.
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 2:39pm On Nov 28, 2018
EDUECO:
Hi Everybody! I intend to relocate to Jos in the future because of the cool weather and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I want people who live and have lived in Jos to tell me/us about the following:
(a)how good is the road infrastructure?
(b)is Pidgin English widely spoken by the inhabitants or dwellers;and if not,then what language is spoken by the majority of the people?
(c)what is the security condition of the city?
(d)what is the price range of intra-city transport fare?
(e)how good is housing infrastructure. ?

This is definitely a front page thread!

cc: Seun,DisGuy,justwise,Freiburger, r231,Lalasticlala,Mynd44,Dominique,etc..

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Necksonnel: 12:40pm On Nov 29, 2018
Jos is a very good place to live, the only problem is the crisis. Apart from that, you're good to go

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Ttipsy(f): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
following
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by lorhema(f): 11:59am On Dec 01, 2018
Many of the roads in Jos are tarred. There aren't many painted taxis, more of kabu-kabu. Kekes rule in the more central parts of the town. Buses ply limited routes.

The weather varies but is generally cooler than what I experience in Abuja, Lagos or Ibadan. Right now the harmattan is here and the afternoons are hot ( 34degrees) but it is very cool indoors or under some form of shade.

The naira has more value here than in many places down south but I have seen an increase in prices of vegetables which is possibly linked to inflation. A basket of A-grade tomatoes which we bought for 6k at the tomato market last month would have cost us 1.5k last year. We are waiting to see if the prices will reduce going in to January.

Cucumber, cabbage, green pepper etc are cheap though not like before.

Hotels here are as expensive as elsewhere.

Jos is a small community. The crisis has spoilt the interaction it used to enjoy and it appears itis gone for good. But you won't feel you are a statistic here. We live on an estate with a good mix of ethnic/ religious groups and I see us all seeking a peaceful living.

As we go about the city, we recognize students from the university working at jobs ostensibly to put themselves through school. That says something to us about the income levels here. In Lagos, for example, some students probably work but you wouldn't know them. Here you meet them in the bakery or restaurant or at the filling station.

We generally get a good supply of electricity, at least 23 hours daily where I live. It would cost a lot to live like we do in many other cities. We definitely have a better quality of life here than we did elsewhere.

You can get by with English or pidgin; a friend of ours has lived here and done business for over 25 years but I think acquiring Hausa is an asset.

Healthcare costs are relatively cheaper here than in Abuja, Lagos etc. And there are at least three major institutions offering healthcare services.

Artisans tend to be poor in skills from our experience. Watch out for the same crooked ways you find elsewhere.

Security is very important now so you watch the areas you move in, and pray not to be in the wrong place when the crisis erupts.

The aesthetics of Jos must be mentioned. Green- covered hills in the rainy season give way to the brown rocks as the harmattan sets in. Wild sunflowers and other plants give a picture you won't find elsewhere. During the rainy season too, every available space is taken up by crops reminding you that this is an agrarian state.

It's the reason why you find yourself doing some gardening/farming at home and enjoying it.

All in all, Jos is a nice place to live in. A youth corper we know came from Lagos, went back home and is back here, to stay.

8 Likes

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by kwakwakwa(m): 5:27pm On Dec 01, 2018
NYSC in Jos, Plateau aeon ago

love jos weather, people, cheap foods..............
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 01, 2018
Jos including Kaduna are now no longer safe to new residents. Those who want to relocate must be very careful.
Many others have relocated from these places.
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by Mizwisdom(f): 10:21pm On Dec 01, 2018
lorhema:
Many of the roads in Jos are tarred. There aren't many painted taxis, more of kabu-kabu. Kekes rule in the more central parts of the town. Buses ply limited routes.

The weather varies but is generally cooler than what I experience in Abuja, Lagos or Ibadan. Right now the harmattan is here and the afternoons are hot ( 34degrees) but it is very cool indoors or under some form of shade.

The naira has more value here than in many places down south but I have seen an increase in prices of vegetables which is possibly linked to inflation. A basket of A-grade tomatoes which we bought for 6k at the tomato market last month would have cost us 1.5k last year. We are waiting to see if the prices will reduce going in to January.

Cucumber, cabbage, green pepper etc are cheap though not like before.

Hotels here are as expensive as elsewhere.

Jos is a small community. The crisis has spoilt the interaction it used to enjoy and it appears itis gone for good. But you won't feel you are a statistic here. We live on an estate with a good mix of ethnic/ religious groups and I see us all seeking a peaceful living.

As we go about the city, we recognize students from the university working at jobs ostensibly to put themselves through school. That says something to us about the income levels here. In Lagos, for example, some students probably work but you wouldn't know them. Here you meet them in the bakery or restaurant or at the filling station.

We generally get a good supply of electricity, at least 23 hours daily where I live. It would cost a lot to live like we do in many other cities. We definitely have a better quality of life here than we did elsewhere.

You can get by with English or pidgin. A friend of ours has lived here and done business for over 25 years but I think acquiring Hausa is an asset.

Healthcare costs are relatively cheaper here than in Abuja, Lagos etc. And there are at least three major institutions offering healthcare services.

Artisans tend to be poor in skills from our experience. Watch out for the same crooked ways you find elsewhere so one must be careful.

Security is very important now so you watch the areas you move in, and pray not to be in the wrong place when the crisis erupts.

The aesthetics of Jos must be mentioned. Green- covered hills in the rainy season give way to the brown rocks as the harmattan sets in. Wild sunflowers and other plants give a picture you won't find elsewhere. During the rainy season too, every available space is taken up by crops reminding you that this is an agrarian state.

It's the reason why you find yourself doing some gardening/farming at home and enjoying it.

All in all, Jos is a nice place to live in. A youth corper we know came from Lagos, went back home and is back here, to stay.

Thanks!
Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by mfm04622: 11:33am On Dec 02, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Jos including Kaduna are now no longer safe to new residents. Those who want to relocate must be very careful.
Many others have relocated from these places.

I don't know about Jos, but Kaduna is very safe! As people move away, other come to Kaduna

1 Like

Re: Jos: I Want To Know More About This City. by EDUECO(m): 9:13pm On Dec 02, 2018
Profound thanks to lorhema(f) ,Danielomisco(m) ,and others that have found it worthy to contribute to this educative and noble thread!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arik To Suspend Abuja To London Flight Route As from 28th October 2011 / Which Is Better: Masters Degree In Australia Or Canada? / Pls Advise Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.