Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. (681 Views)

Does Cultural Appropriation Exist In Nigeria? / Why Black Americans Are The Blackness Police ? "Cultural Appropriation" / 6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 19, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFefLj218U

Does anyone not see what is wrong with this??
Re: Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. by Wulfruna(f): 9:20pm On Mar 19, 2018
What is wrong with it? Is it the fact that it was directed and produced by Igbo film makers?

I like the battle scene, btw. Nollywood makes really shitty battle scenes. It was refreshing to see this one. Didn't know about this film until now, and now I just have to see it.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 19, 2018
Wulfruna:
What is wrong with it? Is it the fact that it was directed and produced by Igbo film makers?

I like the battle scene, btw. Nollywood makes really shitty battle scenes. It was refreshing to see this one. Didn't know about this film until now, and now I just have to see it.

Judging from the trailer, the story seems completely corrupted. I think of they are going to do her history justice then they ought to do the proper research which it seems they haven't. Best of all, I just feel it's not their story to tell. Maybe they should have included a few kannywood actors or at least get a Hausa actress to portray the titular role. Imagine casting a white guy to play Malcolm X. The Hausa language should at least have some part in this. It just looks and feels all wrong in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Appropriation In Nollywood. by Wulfruna(f): 1:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
MitrikDenholm:

Judging from the trailer, the story seems completely corrupted. I think of they are going to do her history justice then they ought to do the proper research which it seems they haven't. Best of all, I just feel it's not their story to tell. Maybe they should have included a few kannywood actors or at least get a Hausa actress to portray the titular role. Imagine casting a white guy to play Malcolm X. The Hausa language should at least have some part in this. It just looks and feels all wrong in my opinion.

Oh, I see. I read the synopsis and there were Kannywood actors involved, most prominent being Ali Nuhu and Yakubu Muhammed.

A Kannywood production of Amina's story already exists; I don't see anything wrong with this one obviously aimed at a wider audience.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa And Yoruba, Are They Two Different Ethnicity / The Mysterious Link Between Ancient Egyptian Language And Yoruba / A Guy Who Won Medal In Usa Proudly Showed The Biafran Flag.photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.