Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria (4866 Views)

How Is This Even Supposed To Be Possible In The World Of Magic? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / My Bro Scored 202 In Jamb..is Admission Possible In Computer Science, Unizik (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by oyetpel(m): 10:30am On Mar 23, 2018
I have come across several Hollywood movies that depicts children being homeschooled by their parents i.e Captain Fantastic, The Glass Castle (both are recent movies).
Also this week i read about a homeschooled boy who killed someone in a US school.

After several school shootings, many Americans are now considering homeschooling their children as a safe option to prevent their kids being gun down in schools.

Also in Nigeria, we have cases whereby schoolgirls are being kidnapped in Chibok and of recent Dapchi.

Before all these rampage, kidnap and killing of students in schools, Americans and some developed countries are known to home school their wards.

In fact, there are about 2.3 million homeschooled students
in the United States.

A major factor that have been said against homeschooling is socialization.

Homeschooling is illegal in some countries.

In Nigeria, even if the parents are illiterates or they do not know how to teach, they can employ tutors to teach their ward at home without going to convectional school. So there is no excuse.

So my question is, can Nigerians home school their children?
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by shegn: 4:38am On Dec 19, 2018
Currently looking into this option. I hope to return here with my findings.
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by MariaJob(f): 12:00pm On Jan 27, 2019
@shegn What have you discovered, please share. I am also looking into this option.
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Thecuddleblog: 6:15am On Feb 11, 2019
It is possible to homeschool in Nigeria, I am currently doing it and I know a couple more people. Depending on the age of your child, I have an article for simple homeschooling guide...

https://www.thecuddleblog.com/2018/11/homeschooling-in-nigeria.html?m=1

You can send an email to me if you have any questions
thecuddleblog@gmail.com I'm also @thecuddleblog on Instagram

2 Likes

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Educore: 9:43am On Feb 11, 2019
It is possible if you are wealthy and have a self esteem because other parents in Nigeria will make it look like you can't afford a school or your child has a problem.
Nigerians are just dramatic.

SO, IT IS POSSIBLE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by oyetpel(m): 10:35am On Feb 11, 2019
Educore:
It is possible if you are wealthy and have a self esteem because other parents in Nigeria will make it look like you can't afford a school or your child has a problem.

SO, IT IS POSSIBLE!

Good point.

Nigeria have a long way to go to curb social prejudice.
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 11, 2019
Educore:

SO, IT IS POSSIBLE!
If one or two tries it and it works, many will opt in.
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by oyetpel(m): 2:36pm On Feb 11, 2019
asuustrike1:

If one or two tries it and it works, many will opt in.

That's true, especially with so many substandard schools around. Everyone wants to have a school.

Most pay peanuts or overwork teachers.

Some don't even have good teachers.

I will probably homeschool my kid from creche to pry4, and try and find other means for socialization for the kid.

2 Likes

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2019
oyetpel:

That's true, especially with so many substandard schools around. Everyone wants to have a school.

Most pay peanuts or overwork teachers.

Some don't even have good teachers.

I will probably homeschool my kid from creche to pry4, and try and find other means for socialization for the kid.
Yea but you child can still socialize with his or her peers within your neighbourhood, church and extended families.
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by scoundrel(f): 3:08pm On May 24, 2020
There is no greater motivation for a child to learn than “you can watch those cartoons after you solve these quadratic equations. You have to get accurate results first.” My best memory of primary school was having a home teacher. I enjoyed seeing this man come every afternoon and breaking concepts into bite-sized portions. My grades flew from being average to top-tier. Why my parents stopped I will never know.

2 Likes

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by bedivine: 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2020
You should try preschool.webs.com

They help you with activities and worksheets for your children age 3-5 so you can homeschool with less stress
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Mrshape: 8:32pm On Jun 02, 2020
oyetpel:
I have come across several Hollywood movies that depicts children being homeschooled by their parents i.e Captain Fantastic, The Glass Castle (both are recent movies).
Also this week i read about a homeschooled boy who killed someone in a US school.

After several school shootings, many Americans are now considering homeschooling their children as a safe option to prevent their kids being gun down in schools.

Also in Nigeria, we have cases whereby schoolgirls are being kidnapped in Chibok and of recent Dapchi.

Before all these rampage, kidnap and killing of students in schools, Americans and some developed countries are known to home school their wards.

In fact, there are about 2.3 million homeschooled students
in the United States.

A major factor that have been said against homeschooling is socialization.

Homeschooling is illegal in some countries.

In Nigeria, even if the parents are illiterates or they do not know how to teach, they can employ tutors to teach their ward at home without going to convectional school. So there is no excuse.

So my question is, can Nigerians home school their children?

Science and mathematics are learned at home in Nigeria not school.

Homeschool is the best.
The student learn at his own pace

1 Like

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Thattallgirl(f): 11:28am On Jul 19, 2022
oyetpel:
they can employ tutors to teach their ward at home without going to convectional school. So there is no excuse.
I love this but is it legal according to the education policy
Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by stillwerise: 8:27pm On Jan 16, 2023
I was recently introduced by a friend to some therapist family friend of his in Lagos. I followed the guys work at tcmacademy and discovered he was homeschooled at some point and still turned out okay contrary to what i believed. It was university that had him going out of home. The couple are always calm looking like the stress of daily life never gets to them. They decided to homeschool their four kids in 2019 and it looked like heaven was going to fall. When covid hit us, their kids were simply chilling as that was their norm. They go fishing weekends, hiking, church on Sunday, all four in karate class, speak 2 foreign languages each, travel once a year for 1 week exchange programs with their mum and 4 teachers coming in daily to teach them except Fridays where the whole house turns into a game den from morning to night . From the smart TV in their house to the devices all around, everything has been turned into learning devices. Their 4 and 7 yr old's pass by shouting questions at their age-restricted AMAZON kindle fire tab. Alexa what is this, Alexa show me that. These parents are young but made a choice many were afraid to. The funny thing is that these kids can discuss topics even some of us are afraid to discuss with our kids in school.

I don't need to go too far to tell you that even when my guy showed me the overall term results they had to improve on, it could pass for excellent in some schools. Parents! Parents! be confident in your decisions to homeschool your kids, The world around you is changing. As you train yours, not everyone puts in that effort to train theirs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Homeschooling Possible In Nigeria by Thattallgirl(f): 9:44pm On Jan 16, 2023
stillwerise:
I was recently introduced by a friend to some therapist family friend of his in Lagos. I followed the guys work at tcmacademy and discovered he was homeschooled at some point and still turned out okay contrary to what i believed. It was university that had him going out of home. The couple are always calm looking like the stress of daily life never gets to them. They decided to homeschool their four kids in 2019 and it looked like heaven was going to fall. When covid hit us, their kids were simply chilling as that was their norm. They go fishing weekends, hiking, church on Sunday, all four in karate class, speak 2 foreign languages each, travel once a year for 1 week exchange programs with their mum and 4 teachers coming in daily to teach them except Fridays where the whole house turns into a game den from morning to night . From the smart TV in their house to the devices all around, everything has been turned into learning devices. Their 4 and 7 yr old's pass by shouting questions at their age-restricted AMAZON kindle fire tab. Alexa what is this, Alexa show me that. These parents are young but made a choice many were afraid to. The funny thing is that these kids can discuss topics even some of us are afraid to discuss with our kids in school.

I don't need to go too far to tell you that even when my guy showed me the overall term results they had to improve on, it could pass for excellent in some schools. Parents! Parents! be confident in your decisions to homeschool your kids, The world around you is changing. As you train yours, not everyone puts in that effort to train theirs.
smiley

(1) (Reply)

IS THIS TRUE? / Discover The Excitement Of Jeetbuzz Bookmaker - The Ultimate Betting Experience / Waec Result Is Now Out At Last :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.