Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? (6139 Views)

I Buy Chicken Intestines/dead chickens/chicks From Poultry Farmers (ibadan) / How Reliable Are Point Of Lay Birds Sourced From Poultry Plaza? / 5 Ways to Eliminate Wall Geckos In Your Home/ Office. No 2 Will Shock You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by obongitiad(m): 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2018
Am considering starting a poultry farm in a residential area. But am discouraged because of the usual offensive poultry odour.

Please does anyone know about any system that totally eliminates the odours?
Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 23, 2018
Am also interested in this topic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:
Am considering starting a poultry farm in a residential area. But am discouraged because of the usual offensive poultry odour.

Interesting topic.

Well, I am going to give you the principle behind it and allow you work your way around it.

The principle behind it is turning the droppings to compost at a very fast rate. Accelerated process. The question is: what turns manure to compost? If you find that, then you are on your way to solving it.

The simple answer is microoganisms. Therefore, you need to increase the population of microorganisms on the floor of your poultry cage or house. The kind of structure you have and how you build it, and the kind of material or pattern of your floor must be put into consideration so as to support quick build up of the microorganisms needed.

Read about "effective microorganisms". Then, start making research on different kinds of species you can use.

Warning: Do not go and fall sick and get infection you cannot cure easily. I repeat, you are doing what can lead to serious sickness if you expose yourself. This is why organic farming can be dangerous for farmers themselves.

Some farmers import them and use. You need to find the best ones for you and the dosage. Or you can culture them yourself.

I will not like to give you any procedure as this is delicate. I culture different types myself and there are couple of people i have assisted with poultry, piggery, etc in urban areas and no single complain from neighbors.

If you use compost from such poultry for vegetables, and you put mulch on top of your beds, you will sing a new song. The income from your vegetable might tripple that of poultry. You will be amazed. Poultry is not just my thing because it is not profitable for me. It may be for you. I am not arguing with you. But anyone with poultry compost with high microoganisms, and then use modern technique for vegetable farming like mulch, drip, fertigation is a super man.

Best of luck!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by OluchiDelly: 9:32am On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

Interesting topic.

Well, I am going to give you the principle behind it and allow you work your way around it.

The principle behind it is turning the droppings to compost at a very fast rate. Accelerated process. The question is: what turns manure to compost? If you find that, then you are on your way to solving it.

The simple answer is microoganisms. Therefore, you need to increase the population of microorganisms on the floor of your poultry cage or house. The kind of structure you have and how you build it, and the kind of material or pattern of your floor must be put into consideration so as to support quick build up of the microorganisms needed.

Read about "effective microorganisms". Then, start making research on different kinds of species you can use.

Warning: Do not go and fall sick and get infection you cannot cure easily. I repeat, you are doing what can lead to serious sickness if you expose yourself. This is why organic farming can be dangerous for farmers themselves.

Some farmers import them and use. You need to find the best ones for you and the dosage. Or you can culture them yourself.

I will not like to give you any procedure as this is delicate. I culture different types myself and there are couple of people i have assisted with poultry, piggery, etc in urban areas and no single complain from neighbors.

If you use compost from such poultry for vegetables, and you put mulch on top of your beds, you will sing a new song. The income from your vegetable might tripple that of poultry. You will be amazed. Poultry is not just my thing because it is not profitable for me. It may be for you. I am not arguing with you. But anyone with poultry compost with high microoganisms, and then use modern technique for vegetable farming like mulch, drip, fertigation is a super man.

Best of luck!

Mr Mobile Encyclopedia!
Which one be your discipline self:

Quantity Surveying/mathematics,
Civil engineering,
Microbiology,
Agric Sc/ biotechnology
Biz Admin /marketing
Oya tell us grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by obongitiad(m): 9:35am On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

Interesting topic.

Best of luck!

Wow! This is so awesomely informative.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do exactly? Are you a microbiologist or sth?

On the other hand I learnt from google about air filtering plants si I was thinking of planting air filtering plants within the poultry farm and outside the farm to help minimise the air pollution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 24, 2018
OluchiDelly:

Mr Mobile Encyclopedia!
Which one be your discipline self:

Quantity Surveying/mathematics,
Civil engineering,
Microbiology,
Agric Sc/ biotechnology
Biz Admin /marketing
Oya tell us grin

Have you heard professor Osinbajo talk Nigerian economy? Have you listened to his analysis on our health system? And can you really see his proactive nature when he settled Eastern crisis when Mr President first went abroad? His crisis management skill is super. And did you observe he knows when to withdraw the sword and watch? This is what he is doing now because some people almost turned his boss against him. This is a Nigerian law professor who is into many areas and operating like a professional in every field he touches. And this is where he is different from what baba obasanjo experienced. Osinbajo is not weak but meek. People still do not know him well. I see him do more for Nigeria.

My brother, your dicipline does not make you who you are. It is the ability to cover many areas. King Solomon is the wisest man on earth till date. Well, people said he asked God in his dream for wisdom and he got it. But alas! That is just potential gift. He had to use a force (physics calls it kinetic energy) to draw out his potentials. From the Bible I read, King Solomon studied poet, literature, animal languages, invesments in gold, silver, timber, olive oil, etc. He learned bilateral relationships, foreign affairs, public administration, public policy, etc. He was a composer, a singer, a producer, a writer etc. Above all he was a lover man. The guy dey do babes runs like grin. Queen Sheba had to fall in love with him. She had no choice but to release herself to the great King of Israel.

But he said something. He warned that "All is vanity". The sole responsibility of man is for God's purpose to be fulfilled.

Think about this. My writings are not to show pride, or put myself out there, but to give glory to my creator. Whether anyone believes there is God or not, that is not my problem.

My service is to humanity. Shikena!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:

Wow! This is so awesomely informative.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do exactly? Are you a microbiologist or sth?

On the other hand I learnt from google about air filtering plants si I was thinking of planting air filtering plants within the poultry farm and outside the farm to help minimise the air pollution.

How many plants can filter "poo" smell (odor)? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by OluchiDelly: 11:53am On Mar 24, 2018
Those days, because I had access to awoof HCl, I used to pour some drops into the pit I used to dump the waste. It worked well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by obongitiad(m): 1:12pm On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

How many plants can filter "poo" smell (odor)? grin

Hahaha. Plenty oh!

But that's some serious food for thought oh. Or maybe it's best to combine both and see how it goes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:

Hahaha. Plenty oh!

But that's some serious food for thought oh. Or maybe it's best to combine both and see how it goes.

You can send me email and let me check up these plants. It will be nice having them in ones compound especially in this Lagos. Or don't you know the rate of air polution in Lagos is extremely, incredibly, alarming high?

Yeah! Comination of the two can work. But everything is about knowing how to do calculation. You may need large population of the plant. Honestly, its good.

There are bacteria that actually defeat bad odor. Composting the dropping is the main focus. However, we may include air filtration too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 24, 2018
OluchiDelly:
Those days, because I had access to awoof HCl, I used to pour some drops into the pit I used to dump the waste. It worked well.

Hahahaha! Interesting..

I don't doubt you because hydrochloric acid is used often in laboratory settings as a catalyst and proton acceptor in reactions. However, is it good and healthy for the birds?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by obongitiad(m): 3:41pm On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

You can send me email and let me check up these plants. It will be nice having them in ones compound especially in this Lagos. Or don't you know the rate of air polution in Lagos is extremely, incredibly, alarming high?

Yeah! Comination of the two can work. But everything is about knowing how to do calculation. You may need large population of the plant. Honestly, its good.

There are bacteria that actually defeat bad odor. Composting the dropping is the main focus. However, we may include air filtration too.

Okay here is the list:

1. Aloe Vera
2. African Daisies
3. Areca Palm
4. Dendrobium Phalaenopsis
5. Boston Fern
6. Spider Plant
7. Snake Plant
8. Golden Pothos
9. Chrysanthemums
10. Peace Lily
11. Schefflera/Umbrella Tree
12. Weeping Fig
13. Kimberly Queen Fern
14. Chinese Evergreen
15. Bamboo Palm
16. Devil's Ivy
17. Lilyturf
18. Flamingo Lily
19. Broadleaf Lady Palm
20. English Ivy
------------------------------------------------------

Apart from aloe Vera I don't think I know the rest oh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:

Okay here is the list:

1. Aloe Vera
2. African Daisies
3. Areca Palm
4. Dendrobium Phalaenopsis
5. Boston Fern
6. Spider Plant
7. Snake Plant
8. Golden Pothos
9. Chrysanthemums
10. Peace Lily
11. Schefflera/Umbrella Tree
12. Weeping Fig
13. Kimberly Queen Fern
14. Chinese Evergreen
15. Bamboo Palm
16. Devil's Ivy
17. Lilyturf
18. Flamingo Lily
19. Broadleaf Lady Palm
20. English Ivy
------------------------------------------------------

Apart from aloe Vera I don't think I know the rest oh.

It is better you post the link to the article here too since you have posted this.

What kind of gas is emitted from poultry dropping?

What these plants should do is to absorb the gas. Right? So, which among these plants can absorb the exact emitted gas?

This is how to think in the right direction to solve this problem. It is not just reading about filteration. It is what I always tell people. Readers must learn to interprete what they read. And must be able to use common sense to brainstorm challenges.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by OluchiDelly: 5:34pm On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

Hahahaha! Interesting..

I don't doubt you because hydrochloric acid is used often in laboratory settings as a catalyst and proton acceptor in reactions. However, is it good and healthy for the birds?

What happened at the pit has nothing to with pen house. They are far from eachother. The pit is like a dumping site where we dispose the waste after sweeping under the birds' cage.
But I don't advise the use of the method. It's risky for a novice to handle and keep concentrated acids at home

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 24, 2018
OluchiDelly:

What happened at the pit has nothing to with pen house. They are far from eachother. The pit is like a dumping site where we dispose the waste after sweeping under the birds' cage.
But I don't advise the use of the method. It's risky for a novice to handle and keep concentrated acids at home

You are right. I agree with you if the pit is far from the pen house.

However, the challenge we have is that we do not want the slightest offensive odor from the pen itself. Therefore, it is paramount to make sure the dropping in the pen is taking care of.

Does daily evacuation solve it? Maybe we quickly move out the dropping to the pit before decomposition process is initiated; thenafter, we treat with HCl. If yes, is it cost effective? I always consider the cost of production when solving every challenge.

In the 80s and 90s there were so many oil fields that were not mined because the cost of production was high then than the price of oil. But when the price of oil jumped to a crazy figure range, every nation went back to abandoned oil projects. Now, it is not worth doing again. Lol.

As solution providers, low cost of production should be our target when brainstorming.

Sincerely, I hope poultry owners are following this thread. And I wish selfish readers can contribute too. Lolz. It does not pay well at the end of the day to just be consuming info. You go soon explode. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by gamargu(m): 7:25pm On Mar 24, 2018
in Shonghai farm they use activated bacteria though i don't know what it is exactly, it certainly eliminates the smell from their poultry droppings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 24, 2018
gamargu:
in Shonghai farm they use activated bacteria though i don't know what it is exactly, it certainly eliminates the smell from their poultry droppings.

Correct man!

Maybe Shonghai calls its own activated bacteria. Another guy branded its own effective microganism. One Japanese guy called its own Bokashi. Guy, everything na branding lolz.

Miroorganism = Fungi + Bacteria. Shikena.

What kind of species do you need? Where do you get them from? How do you multiply them? How do you protect yourself?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by adisabarber(m): 8:13pm On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:

Lactobacillus!!!

Google it. Learn how to make it. Use it

Cc: fluentinfor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by obongitiad(m): 8:50pm On Mar 24, 2018
fluentinfor:

It is better you post the link to the article here too since you have posted this.

What these plants should do is to absorb the gas. Right? So, which among these plants can absorb the exact emitted gas?

This is how to think in the right direction to solve this problem. It is not just reading about filteration. It is what I always tell people. Readers must learn to interprete what they read. And must be able to use common sense to brainstorm challenges.

You're absolutely right oh. I actually just wrote them down to do more studies on the individual characteristics of each plant.

Maybe you can do that for us na and let us know na. grin
fluentinfor:

You're absolutely right oh. I actually just wrote them down to do more studies on the individual characteristics of each plant.

Maybe you can do that for us na and let us know na.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 24, 2018
adisabarber:

Lactobacillus!!!

Google it. Learn how to make it. Use it

Cc: fluentinfor

Nice one. This is just one strain that is good. You can collect the strain from air by trapping it in starchy water. Then use milk to multiply it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 24, 2018
obongitiad:

Maybe you can do that for us na and let us know na. grin

Maybe you can do that for us na and let us know na.

Lolz. Guy, the difficult part is that I have shown you the path to follow. Before, you were clueless but now you know what to learn. What stops you from picking your plants one by one and write what you find about them here? What about that? So, you expect me to sit down and do the work for you from A to Z. Na waooo. If I see easy direction like this when I started, I am sure, I would have explored more. No one even understood what I was doing. Nothing on nairaland in those days. I just had to figure things out myself.

Do you realise I researched almost over 1,000 microorganisms strains? And I had to stop when I had to do other things.

Which microorganism strain used for farming that I do not know about? I want to see. If you want to fight fusarium wilt and some other deadly wilt, there are bacteria you can use to fight them. Guy, you better sit tight and get focused. Just my one cent advice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2018
We have identified the following options:

1. Microorganisms
2. Plant filtration
3. HCl

Another method I know you can use is vemicomposting. Feed worms with fresh manure. The compost you get here is high quality better than poultry manure. It is one of the best compost around.

You need to calculate the weight of worms needed to handle the quantity of manure produced by your birds daily. Pick up vemicomposting and read the aubject thoroughly. You will be glad you did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by adisabarber(m): 11:08am On Mar 27, 2018
I heard biodigesters too can be effective BUT I have never seen it in action and I don't know how to build one to test if it truly works.

fluentinfor:
We have identified the following options:

1. Microorganisms
2. Plant filtration
3. HCl

Another method I know you can use is vemicomposting. Feed worms with fresh manure. The compost you get here is high quality better than poultry manure. It is one of the best compost around.

You need to calculate the weight of worms needed to handle the quantity of manure produced by your birds daily. Pick up vemicomposting and read the aubject thoroughly. You will be glad you did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by Johnboom: 5:28pm On May 03, 2019
Let me contribute, you can reduce odour by given ur birds fermented feed instead of direct feed. I am a consultant in poultry. You may contact me on 08032781837 , small charge is applicable though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by SmartFarming: 7:43am On May 04, 2019
obongitiad:

On our concrete floor pig farm (pigs are noted to smell a lot) we cleaned with a lot of water and neem extract before we started using lactic acid bacteria for cleaning the pens. We have never had an issue with smell from our farms. I suspect that, our pigs poop which is composted near the pig pens does not give offensive odour probably due to the feed we give them.

We will be adopting the deep litter system on our expanded pig farm. The microorganisms in the living deep bed fights bad odour causing pathogens. The science behind fighting bad smell in the deep litter poultry system is sound. We will be adopting this deep system because it will save us all the water we use for cleaning.

For your poultry farm, I am sure by now you have a solution. You can share that with us. If you are still searching for thensolution, that has been a very long time and I suggest you adopt the deep litter system innoculated with either indigenous microorganisms which you can learn how to cultivate yourself
or purchase microorganisms which have been formulated by commercial companies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by kunleweb: 3:55pm On May 19, 2019
obongitiad:

I have the perfect answer to this. Have you found the answer?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can One Eliminate Offensive Odour From Poultry Farming? by femu(m): 5:31pm On Aug 26, 2019
Odo’calm is a sweet smelling liquid that controls the bad odour from Poultry or Pig farms.

For Odour control on wet waste
Add 150ml Odo’calm per cubic meter of manure .
1 cubic metre =1000 litres of manure.

For solid waste
Dilute 1% Odocalm in water and spray on the poo.

SMS or WhatsApp 08034209301 for more details

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Order Polystyrene/Styrofoam Boxes and Sheets Products From Us / Affordable Transport Service For All Your Farm Produce / Catfish Brood Stock For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.