Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Steps To Writing a Kick-ass Résumé (Detailed Post) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Steps To Writing a Kick-ass Résumé (Detailed Post) (454 Views)

Most Sexy African Big Ass Photos / Lady Who Cleans Up Jabi Lake, Kick-starts Tree Planting Exercise In Abuja / Meet The Karate Pastor Who Hunts Your Demon In A Kick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Steps To Writing a Kick-ass Résumé (Detailed Post) by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 26, 2018
Author: Lawrence
Phone or Whatsapp: 0703 314 0170

Here are curated tips to help you write better résumés
• Avoid having just one generic resume. Tailor your resume to the needs of the job or position you are applying for. This is tedious work but it will pay off

• Follow instructions i.e if asked for a cover letter, equally attach one along with the resume

• Avoid typos and improper grammar, go through your resume carefully or let someone do that for you

• Do not use an unprofessional email username e.g emeka2nice@gmail.com, it's not cool. Preferably, your email username should have your name in it

• Avoid the use of personal pronouns like me and I in your resume

• Drop the objective statement, use a headline instead - a short summary of your core competencies

• Avoid too much information, only include what is relevant. Ask yourself the relevance of any information before adding it

• Don't make it hard to read in an attempt to make it fit a set number of page(s) by reducing font size, removing white spaces and margins

• Do not lie, it's really easy to verify. Be sure you don't exaggerate your level of competency on any technology or area. Don't sell yourself short either by understating your competence

Here is what to leave off
• Personal info like age, weight and marital status should be left off

• Absolutely leave off photographs even if you're cute, unless the position you are applying for requires it, modelling for example

• Leave out hobbies, they take up valuable space. Only consider including them if they are relevant to the position

• Delete obsolete technologies like Office 2003 for example, if anything, it will make you look outdated

• Leave off references. Your references should be a standalone document like your cover letter. There is no point including it in your resume. You may want to leave out the available upon request lines too. Your prospective employer presumes this already. References take up valuable space and are hardly useful at the onset, unless maybe after a successful interview. You should however have a references document ready if an employer ever needs it.

How long should it be?
If you find your resume going over 2 pages long, it could be a sign you need to remove irrelevant items and shorten it. If you are just out of school or have less than 5 years experience, you should fit it on a page. Otherwise, you may want to consider 2 pages.

When it comes to resume length, there isn't exactly a right answer. You should allow the length and breadth of your experience dictate the length of your resume.

Conclusion
Your resume is your sales pitch, your aim is to be hired. When a recruiter grabs your resume, he should be convinced (not confused) on why you are the right person for the job. You'll achieve this if you are concise and only include what is relevant. Highlight your achievement and accomplishment.

Ask yourself: Will my current resume make the employer reach for the phone to call me? If I was a recruiter, would this resume appeal to me enough to read on? Based on your resume, would you hire you? If you answered no to any of the questions don't despair. You should consider reformatting or reorganizing your resume with the tips above.

Follow this steps and get ready for that phone to ring!

Re: Steps To Writing a Kick-ass Résumé (Detailed Post) by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 26, 2018
Additional layout

Re: Steps To Writing a Kick-ass Résumé (Detailed Post) by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 04, 2018
I'll help write a kick-ass resume for you. It's just N1000! I know, it's unbelievable. Call or Whatsapp: 0703 314 0170

(1) (Reply)

Sex Sex Sex,the Devil Has Released His Demons To Destroy Souls! Beware??? / *fourteen Unwritten Rules For Civilized Conduct* / You Can Earn Up To N21600 Weekly For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.