Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third (1108 Views)

Micro-implants / 3 Phase ATS With Inbuilt Inverter-battery-low Sensor And Gen-auto-shutdown Time / Diy Micro Mini Paper Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by IAmSkinny: 2:21pm On Mar 27, 2018
In the heart of every single digital camera lies a digital imaging sensor which is basically a sensor that detects and conveys the information that makes up an image. This device is a very important, and the most expensive component of a digital camera to manufacture. In fact, the size of a sensor usually determines the price of a digital camera and this explains why basic point-and-shoot pocket digital cameras are the least expensive imaging devices in the market today. Sensor size also determines image quality and this further explains why Point-and-shoot digital cameras, usually with tiny sensors of 1/2.3inch (approx. 6.3mm x 4.7mm) produce image of inferior quality compared to cameras with APS-C sized sensors.

In this age of digital camera and digital photography, it is very important for every photographer to understand what sensor size is all about, and how it affects image quality and field of view. This article will give you an in dept understanding of the three most popular digital camera sensor size and digital camera sensor size in general. So here comes everything about digital camera sensors:

Full Frame Vs APS-C vs Micro Four-Third.

Digital camera sensor size: Full Frame
A full frame sensor is roughly the same size (36mmx24mm) as a 35mm film. 35mm digital imaging sensors are expensive to manufacture and this partly explains why full frame digital cameras are very expensive. Full Frame digital cameras are also backward compatible with 35mm film camera lenses if the lens mount are the same. Apart from superior image quality, one other advantage of full frame sensors over smaller sensors is that they retain the same angle of view as indicated on the lens. For example, a 50mm lens mounted on a full frame digital camera still remains 50mm. If you are using a digital camera with a smaller sensor, then the concept of “crop factor” comes into play.

In digital photography, crop factor is used to compare the field of view and image quality of different cameras (different sensor size) with the same lens. So sticking a 50mm lens on an APS-C digital camera (crop factor of 1.5x times 50mm) gives the same angle of view as a 75mm lens on a full frame digital camera. From this, we can easily deduce that full frame cameras have a wider angle of view and are perfect for landscape photography.

Full Frame digital cameras produces better image quality even at a high ISO value compared to any other digital camera sensor size. Examples of digital cameras with full frame sensor are: Canon eos 6D, 5DmarkII, eos-1Dx nikon D4, D810, D750, Sony a99, a900 etc

Digital camera sensor size: APS-C sensor

APS-C (advanced photo sensor type c) sensors have a typical dimension of 22.5×15 mm for Canon(1.6x crop factor) and 24×16 mm for other camera manufacturers (1.5x crop factor). An APS-C digital camera offers a more narrow field of view compared to a full frame digital camera. You can get the full frame equivalent focal length of an APS-C digital camera by multiplying the focal length by the equivalent crop factor of the APS-C digital camera. So a 24mm lens on a nikon D5000 is going to be 1.5(which is the crop factor of nikon APS-C digital cameras) multiplied by 24mm(the focal length) equals to a 36mm lens on a full frame digital camera. This means a 24mm lens on an APS-C is not 24mm on a full frame digital but 36mm. Compare the two images below and see what I mean.

Full frame vs APS-C crop factor

APS-C cameras are cheap and produce inferior image quality compared to full frame camera. Examples of APS-C cameras are: Sony a58, a6000, a350, nex c3, nex 6 canon eos 1200D, 40D, 60D, 650D, Nikon D3300, D500, D90, D7200 etc.

Digital camera sensor size: micro four third

Micro Four-Third sensors are significantly smaller than APS-C sensors which means micro four-third cameras will perform poorly in a low light conditions compared to APS-C digital cameras. Micro Four-Third utilizes an image sensor which measures 18 mm × 13.5 mm (22.5 mm diagonal). Compared to full frame digital cameras, micro Four-Third digital cameras have an equivalent sensor crop factor of 2.0. What this simply means is that the field of view of a micro four-third lens is the same as a full frame lens with twice the focal Four-Third length. For instance, a 50 mm lens on a micro Four-Third body would have a field of view equivalent to a 100 mm lens on a full frame camera. Also, a micro Four-Third digital camera offers a greater depth of field compared to a full frame and APS-C cameras due the larger crop factor. In fact, an aperture of f1.8 on a micro four-thirds is equivalent to f3.6 on a full frame digital camera. Micro Four-Third digital cameras are generally small, “mirrorless” and use electronic view finders.

Must read: Learn how to take Amazing photos

Micro Four-Third digital cameras use a universal lens mounting system which makes it possible to stick an olympus micro Four-Third lens on a Panasonic micro Four-Third camera.

The Panasonic lumix dmc G10, G80, GH4 and olympus OM-D EM5 are some examples of micro Four-Third cameras.
Source:
http://www.fototech.com.ng/digital-camera-sensors-size-full-frame-vs-aps-c-vs-micro-four-third/

1 Like

Re: Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by IAmSkinny: 2:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
The red rectangular is the angle view from a full frame camera while the blue rectangle is the angle of view from an APS-C camera; both fitted with a lens of the same focal length and image taken at the same focal length

1 Like

Re: Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by Viktorr(m): 3:51pm On Mar 27, 2018
Great work, op.
I find this informative and quite useful for purchasing a digital camera.
Re: Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by IAmSkinny: 4:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
Viktorr:
Great work, op.

I find this informative and quite useful for purchasing a digital camera.
Cc Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
I don come to educate my fellow photographers again ooo.
Re: Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by nicki1991(m): 12:48pm On Jun 27, 2019
Dude, I don't understand why you have to limit yourself only by digital cameras. There are many options that can replace a full-fledged camera, such as a smartphone, sports camera, compact camera, Bridge camera. Really, in fact, they all take pictures well, but you need to understand that you need to choose a proven model. For example, I bought the sports camera GoPro Hero 6 Black after reading the best digicam review, and I was right choosing that camera, because it turned out to be reliable. Moreover, as for me it's an ideal solution, as this camera takes pictures better than the most modern smartphone, but more compact than a professional camera.
Re: Sensor Size: Full Frame Vs APS-C Vs Micro Four-third by goodspeed963(m): 10:39am On Jun 28, 2019
nicki1991:
Dude, I don't understand why you have to limit yourself only by digital cameras. There are many options that can replace a full-fledged camera, such as a smartphone, sports camera, compact camera, Bridge camera. Really, in fact, they all take pictures well, but you need to understand that you need to choose a proven model. For example, I bought the sports camera GoPro Hero 6 Black after reading the best digicam review, and I was right choosing that camera, because it turned out to be reliable. Moreover, as for me it's an ideal solution, as this camera takes pictures better than the most modern smartphone, but more compact than a professional camera.
thx for sharing man

(1) (Reply)

Projector / Picture Of Simple Amazing 9 Clock / Engineers In Norwary Building Underwater Tube-shaped Tunnels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.