Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,918 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' (2299 Views)

Is Oshodi The Most Popular Place In Lagos? / Is There Anybody Here Schooling In Georgia Tsibilli / Man Swims From His House To Friends Place In Jakande Estate, Lekki (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Bede2u(m): 7:06pm On Mar 28, 2018
Igbo Landing (alternatively written as Ibo Landing, Ebo Landing, or Ebos Landing) is a historic site at Dunbar Creek on St. Simons Island, Glynn County, Georgia. It was the setting of a mass suicide in 1803 by captive Igbo people who had taken control of their slave ship and refused to submit to slavery in the United States. The event's moral value as a story of resistance towards slavery has symbolic importance in African American folklore and literary history.

Apparently the Africans went ashore and subsequently, under the direction of a high Igbo chief among them, walked in unison into the creek singing in the Igbo language "The Water Spirit brought us, the Water Spirit will take us home". They thereby accepted the protection of their god Chukwu and death over the alternative of slavery. Roswell King, a white overseer on the nearby Pierce Butler plantation, wrote one of the only contemporary accounts of the incident which states that as soon as the Igbo landed on St. Simons Island they took to the swamp, committing suicide by walking into Dunbar Creek.

The story of the Igbo slaves who chose death over a life of slavery is a recurring story that has taken deep roots in African American and Gullah folklore. As is typical of oral histories, the facts have evolved over time, in many cases taking on mythological aspects. Some say they walked on water while others say they developed wings and flew back to Africa. Local people claim that the Igbo Landing and surrounding marshes in Dunbar Creek are haunted by the souls of the dead Igbo slaves.

In September 2002 the St. Simons African-American Heritage Coalition organized a two-day commemoration with events related to Igbo history and a procession to the site. The 75 attendees came from other states, as well as Nigeria, and Belize and Haiti, where similar resistance had taken place. They gathered to designate the site as holy ground and give the souls rest. The account of the Igbo is now part of the curriculum for coastal Georgia schools.

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by dacanv(m): 7:13pm On Mar 28, 2018
If you look closely , you can still see the passage..

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2018
The word Ebonics has roots with Igbo slaves in America. And the Igbos were the most rebellious among all the ethnicities from Africa that were taken into slavery

2 Likes

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Bede2u(m): 7:15pm On Mar 28, 2018
dacanv:
If you look closely , you can still see the passage..
wat passage is that?
Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 28, 2018
Anya. But afonjas are still under slavery to their Fulani masters up till now

They need help

3 Likes

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by northvietnam(m): 7:29pm On Mar 28, 2018
let the wat begin...
afonation vs yeebooNation
Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2018
The Igbos were here before many White Americans and Trump's ancestors even thought of crossing Atlantic into the new world. Our roots in this land go way back to hundreds of centuries ago.

2 Likes

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by OneCorner: 7:43pm On Mar 28, 2018
iRyan:
The Igbos were here before many White Americans and Trump's ancestors even thought of crossing Atlantic into the new world. Our roots in this land go way back to hundreds of centuries ago.
yes, we igbos are true Americans.
other tribes came after us
Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 28, 2018
Igbos will soon start drooling over this thread.

It will not guarantee you US visa oo

This one above me no know anything sha

2 Likes

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Bede2u(m): 7:55pm On Mar 28, 2018
OneCorner:

This yoruba boy...this aint ur tribal political section

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2018
iRyan:
The word Ebonics has roots with Igbo slaves in America. And the Igbos were the most rebellious among all the ethnicities from Africa that were taken into slavery

Really? That's interesting. I've only known "Ebonics" to be used as a derogatory & demeaning word for Black Americans.
Would love to see the research on that being linked to Igbo slaves in America, if you don't mind sir.
Thanks a million.
Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 30, 2018
Mobilia:

Really? That's interesting. I've only known "Ebonics" to be used as a derogatory & demeaning word for Black Americans.
Would love to see the research on that being linked to Igbo slaves in America, if you don't mind sir.
Thanks a million.
The research is not really on paper but if you dig hard enough you may find it. Ebonics is also another name for African American vernacular English which was the language spoken and developed by the slaves. According to stories I have heard from some African Americans who's ancestors were slaves, the slavers coined the word "Ebonics" as the English the slaves were using to communicate among themselves. The Sound "gb" doesn't exist in the English language so the Igbos were referred to as Ebos. So apparently "nics" was added to Ebo to form Ebonics.

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by EngrKem: 6:25pm On Mar 30, 2018
Just same way king Jaja of Opobo fought
Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 30, 2018
iRyan:
The research is not really on paper but if you dig hard enough you may find it. Ebonics is also another name for African American vernacular English which was the language spoken and developed by the slaves. According to stories I have heard from some African Americans who's ancestors were slaves, the slavers coined the word "Ebonics" as the English the slaves were using to communicate among themselves. The Sound "gb" doesn't exist in the English language so the Igbos were referred to as Ebos. So apparently "nics" was added to Ebo to form Ebonics.

Ok...now this is very interesting. See I'm learning something entirely new right now.
At the bolded, it has been used in such a negative manner, that educated Black Americans were very offended by it.
It wasn't meant to be anything but an insult...
It had become a "craze" for awhile (like a decade ago), but then died down.
"Ebos" rather than "Ibos"...very interesting.
I've never spelled it any other way than "Igbo"...but have seen "Ibo" on here and other places a lot.
I appreciate this info....thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Bede2u(m): 10:19pm On Mar 30, 2018
Majority of slaves taken to America were Igbos and Yorubas and Niger delta tribes. Thats about 60 % of all black slaves are either Igbo or yoruba
Mobilia:

Ok...now this is very interesting. See I'm learning something entirely new right now.
At the bolded, it has been used in such a negative manner, that educated Black Americans were very offended by it.
It wasn't meant to be anything but an insult...
It had become a "craze" for awhile (like a decade ago), but then died down.
"Ebos" rather than "Ibos"...very interesting.
I've never spelled it any other way than "Igbo"...but have seen "Ibo" on here and other places a lot.
I appreciate this info....thanks.

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2018
Bede2u:
Majority of slaves taken to America were Igbos and Yorubas and Niger delta tribes. Thats about 60 % of all black slaves are either Igbo or yoruba

I totally believe that....makes sense cause several Black Americans can trace their lineage back to either of those tribes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by banom(m): 3:48am On Mar 31, 2018
igbo amaka

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 06, 2018
Earthbound:
Igbos will soon start drooling over this thread.

It will not guarantee you US visa oo

This one above me no know anything sha

Will u die if u stop talking about igbosgrin.

1 Like

Re: A Place In Georgia, U.S Called 'Igbo Landing!' by BlackSan: 9:00am On Jul 24, 2021
OneCorner:

Lol no!!!
Please don't rile up an unnecessary argument with stupid assumptions

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Protect Yourself From Turkish Scams As A First Time Visitor(video) / How To Obtain Nigerian Birth Certificate / 10 Top Green Cities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.