Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,325 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Were Our Ancestors Naked? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Were Our Ancestors Naked? (1293 Views)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Why Did Our Ancestors Discriminate Albinos / Our Ancestors Believed The Earth Was Flat And Surrounded By Water. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 29, 2018
The answer sounds so obvious, what I'm actually curious is where the notion of traditional attire came from

I hear people making speeches like "We need to preserve our culture" ...."This is the clothes of our fore fathers". It's the second speech that's really strange

What our ancestors wore looked nothing like what people wear today, what seperates the so called 'traditional attire' from the white man's suit and tie... aren't they both whitemans attire?

Is this idea the effect of massive society brainwashing or does this have some credibility to it?

1 Like

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 29, 2018
Op change this topic to
"were my ancestors unclad?"

1 Like

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Mar 29, 2018
Mine were half unclad. Leather mini skirts for everybody and no tops. grin

When the white man introduced clothes, they started micro mini clothes - I don't know if it was being economic , but I've seen my grandmothers old photos and wondered how smoothly they made that transformation from traditional to what she came to accept as more descent than the first two .. those were interesting times of nothing but change ...
Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by sherlock229(m): 10:03am On Mar 31, 2018
igbos are unclad, yorubas, hausas are not.

1 Like

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 31, 2018
sherlock229:
igbos are unclad, yorubas, hausas are not.
I understand the one about hausas probably because they were affected by Arabic culture as for that Yorubas part i don't get it

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by sherlock229(m): 10:59am On Mar 31, 2018
LordVoldermort:
I understand the one about hausas probably because they were affected by Arabic culture as for that Yorubas part i don't get it

Google it, yorubas and related tribes nupe, igala etc are always clothed, the cloth used in weddings," Aso oke "is the old form of the now modernised version yorubas wears .

2 Likes

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Fatherofdragons: 11:36am On Mar 31, 2018
sherlock229:

Google it, yorubas and related tribes nupe, igala etc are always clothed, the cloth used in weddings," Aso oke "is the old form of the now modernised version yorubas wears .

u see that pic of ppl bending down to look at that box, that pic was taken in Lagos, I don't why u yolobas like looking for trouble, u better respect ur self ooooo
Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by sherlock229(m): 11:43am On Mar 31, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
u see that pic of ppl bending down to look at that box, that pic was taken in Lagos, I don't why u yolobas like looking for trouble, u better respect ur self ooooo

get a life.

Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2018
sherlock229:

I googled it I couldn't find anything that supports it I only found this http://www.africa.uga.edu/Yoruba/unit_06/cultureunit.html
Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by Fatherofdragons: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2018
sherlock229:

get a life.
Afonjas and their usual lies and hate.
Re: Were Our Ancestors Naked? by sherlock229(m): 8:22pm On Mar 31, 2018
LordVoldermort:
I googled it I couldn't find anything that supports it I only found this http://www.africa.uga.edu/Yoruba/unit_06/cultureunit.html
.copied from the link

The Yoruba have peculiar types of clothes that make them distinct from other cultures. They have Aso ibile, the traditional clothes of various types and shades. Both male and female have different types and it is an aberration then for a man to wear a woman’s clothes and vice versa. Before the advent of the Europeans to the Yoruba land, only hand woven clothes were available. The Yoruba started from using ibante (a piece of thick hand woven cloth). It is only used for covering the private parts of both male and female. Ibante is made from a type of cloth called kijipa. (It is a tarpaulin – like cloth). It is usually very thick and can withstand any stress. Later on, people started wearing normal cloth that is made from aso-oke . Some of these types of aso-oke materials include etu, petuje, san-an-yan, alaaari and so on. For men’s wear, they have buba,
esiki and sapara, which are regarded as ewu awotele or under wear, while they also have dandogo, agbada, gbariye, sulia and oyala, which are also known as ewu awoleke or over wears. They also have various types of sokoto or native trousers that are sown alongside the above-mentioned dresses. Some of these are kembe, gbanu, sooro, kamu, sokoto elemu , etc. A man’s dressing is incomplete without a cap. Some of these caps include, but are not limited to, Gobi, tinko, abeti-aja, alagbaa, oribi, bentigoo, onide, and labankada. The tailors and the designers have various styles and patterns that they do to these caps and the various dresses mentioned above.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Rare Photo Of HRH Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Prostrating / Where Can I Learn Yoruba / Have You Ever Been Racially Abused,if Yes How Did You Felt/reacted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.