Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? (17125 Views)

Lagosians Stranded At Bus Stops. What's The Situation In Your Area? / Imo State Bans Alcoholic Beverages At Motor Parks / The Typical Lagos Bus-Stops, On A Monday Morning (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by AutoJoshNIG: 3:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
It is against the law to drink and drive. Yet, In Nigeria, alcoholic drinks are allowed to be sold at bus stops, motor-parks, etc.

Just like most countries in the world, Nigeria has an existing law banning driving while under the influence of alcohol. However, it appears that Nigeria only pays lip service to the enforcement of this law.

This is particular evident by the indiscriminate manner in which alcoholic beverages are sold at places where there is an abundance of motorists – especially the commercial types.

Indeed, the easiest and fastest place to access alcoholic drinks in Nigeria is at bus stops, motor parks, etc.

At motor parks, many commercial drivers typically drink all manner of harsh gins and alcoholic concoctions before they commence a trip. Okada and Keke Marwa operators are not left out of this tradition.

A drunk driver behind the wheels of mobile vehicle is capable of taking the most daredevil risk. It could also make them lose concentration or even sleep off. A drunk driver can cause harm to yourself and others. They are disasters waiting to occur.

90 per cent of road accidents in Nigeria is as a result of the indulgence in alcoholic drinks, hard drugs, etc. This is according to The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC).

However, this statistics appears rather curious. Especially coming from a safety institution that is not popular for stopping reckless motorist in order to subject them to the DUI test.

How often the FRSC does used breathalyzer to estimate the blood alcohol content (BAC) from a breath of reckless drivers?

Even sadder, the FRSC penalty for drink driving in Nigeria is a huge joke. A paltry N5000 fine.

In most countries of the world, driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offence. Of which the consequences of violating the drunk driving law can attract long-term jail term. In the UK, it can be up to 14 years in jail.

These are countries where government value the safety and protection of its people.

A society that outlaws drink driving, yet allows the indiscriminate sale of all manner of alcoholic beverages at bus stops, motor parks and garages, etc., can’t be said to be serious about eliminating drink driving – especially amount commercial motorists.

For the campaign against drink driving to be taken seriously, the fight needs to start at bus stops, motor parks, garages, etc.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/why-are-alcoholic-drinks-allowed-to-be-sold-at-motor-parks-bus-stops-etc/

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by stefanweeks: 3:45pm On Mar 29, 2018
If you ask drivers they say

'No be small thing we dey see for road everyday o'

I think it is a morale booster

but it is bad sha

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by taylor89(m): 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2018
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Uyiii: 3:52pm On Mar 29, 2018
nice points you're promulgating actually Mr op, but I don't fully agree with your assertion on stopping totally the sales of alcoholic drinks in motor parks.
It's very unfortunate some unscrupulous elements who more often than not turn out to be drivers in the parks engage themselves with these alcoholic drinks, gets high even minutes before conveying commuters to their respective destinations but;
so you know the park is a public hub which of course isn't surrounded by drivers alone but passengers and even passers-by and because of this, has made parks a very advantageous place for the sales of any products, alcoholic drinks inclusive.

I'd expect responsible drivers/human-beings not to drink and drive even if the products are somewhere around the corner, because stopping totally the sales of alcohol in parks is gonna be a very big demerit for the sellers and or even people who've gone to the parks for relaxation purposes ordinarily.

my 2kobo.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by lovelylad: 4:13pm On Mar 29, 2018
one of the major causes of road accidents that Nigeria neglected
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by HeWrites(m): 4:19pm On Mar 29, 2018
Because those drivers/conductors use it to look front

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by talk2archy: 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
Just to promote highway morale
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Bossontop(m): 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
undecided grin cheesy
But im following doctors orders na..

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
This is the Number ONE cause of ACCIDENTS on our roads.
Something must be done to stop it.

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2018
If you ask me na who I go ask undecided
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by obafemee80(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Yunjeezy(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
@op u wan spoil another person business
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Odobaone: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
The sellers pay their taxes to either d LG guys apart from the fact they they r self employed. Most times d drivers don't drink these stuffs but d touts who does d loading so let's not make it look like its a sin what those ppl r selling.

I can as well have my red label under my sit as I drive I sip at intervals hence its within my range of control.

Let's not allow what we know affect the quality of lives or means of livelihood of other ppl.

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by paulsibility(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
I just tire.....

Yet the truth is, there is no "drug" known in the world today that is giving men more trouble than ethyl alcohol.....
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
Meanwhile that's OPPOSITE of what is obtained in the 1st world countries.
We are really stupid and upside down as a NATION..

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Guapismo: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
In Nigeria u find people doing abnormal things so much that abnormal now seems perfectly normal

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by koolcat: 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
NIGERIA….MY BELOVED COUNTRY.. that's y we are unique.!
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by izzy4shizzy(m): 5:47pm On Mar 29, 2018
O.P you know say u no get point ba?
Them the sell alcohol for park, no mean say na for driver, you forget say passengers ma the drink alcohol?
Abi na crime to drink and travel?

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by BabatCargo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2018
That is where you find those who take it.
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by 3millionia: 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2018
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by SnakeChopMoney(m): 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
That's not alcohol

Why would you accuse people of selling and consuming alcohol at Bus terminals

I know for a fact that that is medicine, prescription medicine, 2 shots every morning and 4 shots at night

The name of the medicine is Comfort-for-Buhari's-useless-government

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by lotusbeta: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
Who knows? I only know I find the excuse they give ANNOYING. "I want to keep awake", like u can even stop ur eyes from closing when they want to.
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Earthquake1: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
Passengers also need alcohol measures should be taken to avoid drivers taking them
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
Some people function better under influence.
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
Its normal. Happens everywhere

Cigarettes sold in gas stations also
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by SnakeChopMoney(m): 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
In Nigeria they sell ogogoro right inside the bus terminal
Here is New York they also sell it right next to a bus terminal but not inside the bus terminal

If you live in these 2 places, you need shayo to function well
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Hemanwel(m): 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2018
Nigerian drivers - particularly Lagos commercial drivers - feel the need to take some binge of alcoholic concoctions because it keeps them alive and active while working. Remember these people go to sleep late at night and wake up early so, instead of having to dose off while driving, these things they take keep them alive.
They are not taking it cos they saw people selling them at motor parks. Sometimes, they go into the inner streets to get these stuff.
Whether the government bans the sale of alcoholic drinks at motor parks or not, these guys will still find their way. It keeps them going throughout the day.

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Buharimustgo: 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2018
Nigerians are not serious people, FRSC more especially

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Mutemenot(m): 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
The same way you refuel your car is how drivers use the alcoholic drinks to refill their moral

Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by kereman1: 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
Soo alcoholic yoruba drivers will not get drunk and plunge the vehicle into a stream
Re: Why Are Alcoholic Drinks Allowed To Be Sold At Motor-Parks, Bus Stops, Etc? by Olalan(m): 5:56pm On Mar 29, 2018
It's been sold there cause law enforcement agencies are sleeping

COVID-19: FG To Withhold Passports Of Travellers To Nigeria / List Of Friendly And Unfriendly Countries For Tourists / How God Saved My Life On Saturday