Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,938 members, 7,810,608 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth (37298 Views)

SpaceX Flew Over Nigeria On Way To Space Station – Hadi Sirika (Video) / China’s Space Station, Tiangong 1 Crashed Into Earth / China's Out-of-control Space Station Will Crash To Earth Within Months(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by NaWetinDey(m): 1:55pm On Mar 30, 2018
Design stolen from the USA, product manufactured in China.

Still a thousand years better than 'Niger area
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by chloride6: 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2018
Originalsly:
Hmmm....so they don't know the path? ...just saying it is most likely to crash into the ocean because the earth is 71% water is sooo unscientific.

you were sabi science wy you no predict the path?
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by MichaelSokoto(m): 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2018
Vinstel:
Make e crash for China o, I know wan hear say e by mistake crash for Nigeria o
abi meh ee enter abuja airspace, divide into 2, one fall ontop completely filled national assembly, d oda one ontop aso v wen Buhari dey fec meetin angry

2 Likes

Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by dukeprince50: 2:05pm On Mar 30, 2018
Bossontop:
undecided
Dats bad ooo.....scenes from all d space related films i av watched tells me dat dis can be very disastrous oo
Make e no jus near my house IJN....Amen
it could only destroy at most a 7000msq space, so dont be scared.
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by dukeprince50: 2:08pm On Mar 30, 2018
MichaelSokoto:

abi meh ee enter abuja airspace, divide into 2, one fall ontop completely filled national assembly, d oda one ontop aso v wen Buhari dey fec meetin angry
u are so stupid, if God answers your prayers, na u go come deh shout Buhari.
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by UfuomaUN(m): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2018
Make the satellite fall for Buhari head
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by no1madman(m): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2018
[img][/img]hmmm

Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by alan056: 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2018
Mehn....why is there so much hate on this thread about Buhari? We all don't like him but that doesn't mean he should die alongside his Family..
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by nairaman66(m): 2:27pm On Mar 30, 2018
Wished it could crash on the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY with lawmakers in full session! Nigeria will do better without those thieves in disguise
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by iksman2002(m): 2:34pm On Mar 30, 2018
patyowr:
When Nigeria is still battling with commissioning of bus terminal

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa u no go kill person......
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by Kingsley10000: 2:37pm On Mar 30, 2018
NaijaMutant:
How many people wants it to crash on Aso rock grin
lol
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by MILITO12345(m): 2:47pm On Mar 30, 2018
soooo..my dear china...should we catch it 4 u
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by abimic(m): 2:57pm On Mar 30, 2018
NaijaMutant:
How many people wants it to crash on Aso rock grin
Did u read the post or u just want to sound unnecessarily comic?
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by kenny5811(m): 3:10pm On Mar 30, 2018
if beta infinix or tecno go dey inside plz let it fall at my backyard. tnk u..... datz all.
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 30, 2018
Checked86:
i have many placea i would like it to crash on but due to political reasons, i won't name any.

Ass hole Rock grin grin
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by ruggedtimi(m): 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2018
abeg crash for my compound.Let me get compensated and also sell the part
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by Jacktheripper: 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2018
Abeg crash for Boko Haram camp
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by Jacktheripper: 3:14pm On Mar 30, 2018
ruggedtimi:

And you think you will leave to tell the tales.
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by ruggedtimi(m): 3:15pm On Mar 30, 2018
Jacktheripper:

And you think you will leave to tell the tales.
just debris bro not the whole station
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by cerpvad(m): 3:17pm On Mar 30, 2018
ruggedtimi:
grin oboyee na wetin dey my mind you don talk. Make the crash on my farm and I go claim damages sharp sharp grin
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by naturalwaves: 3:24pm On Mar 30, 2018
sammyobi584:
Nigerian Bloggers should learn how to give credit to the source of information not copying and pasting everything.
I read exactly this same thing word to word in Bbc and yet you copied it without adding or removing anything and still quote your blog as the source..
why not quote the right source and direct us to your blog to read more than quoting your blog as the source.
They are phools. Even that yeye autojosh does the same thing by copying write ups and car articles online but will never acknowledge the source. The fellow will now have the guts to even put his blog as the source. such a shame!

1 Like

Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by don4real18(m): 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2018
I offer myself to lead the mission to blast the space station into tiny bits before it reaches the earth
~Gen don4real18
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 30, 2018
evanso6226:
China’s first space station, called Tiangong-1 or “Heavenly Palace,” will soon break up over Earth into a fiery rain of space junk.

The Aerospace Corp., a nonprofit spaceflight research company, has released its newest prediction about the derelict spacecraft’s doom: Tiangong-1 may reenter Earth’s atmosphere on April 1 at 3:15 a.m. EDT, give or take 20 hours. This means the dead spacecraft should come crashing down in about 100 hours, though possibly as soon as Saturday morning or late Sunday night.

When it does, extreme heat and pressure caused by plowing through the air at more than 15,000 mph will destroy the roughly 9.4-ton vessel.

Not everything may vanish, though.

There’s a good chance that gear and hardware left on board could survive intact all the way to the ground, according to Bill Ailor, an aerospace engineer who specializes in atmospheric reentry. That durability is thanks to Tiangong-1’s onion-like layers of protective material.

“The thing about a space station is that it’s typically got things on the inside,” Ailor, who works for The Aerospace Corp., previously told Business Insider. “So basically, the heating will just strip these various layers off.

“If you’ve got enough layers, a lot of the energy is gone before a particular object falls out, it doesn’t get hot, and it lands on the ground.”

For example, he said, after NASA’s Columbia space shuttle broke up over the US in 2003, investigators recovered a working flight computer. (The artifact that ultimately helped explain how the deadly incident happened.)

Predicting Tiangong-1’s crash to Earth

Launched in September 2011, Tiangong-1 is a two-room space station for two taikonauts, or Chinese astronauts.

It’s 34 feet long and has a volume of 15 cubic meters, or about 1/60th of the volume of the International Space Station, which is about as long as a football field.

Though China superseded Tiangong-1 in 2016 with Tiangong-2, space experts hailed the first space station as a major achievement for the nation, since it helped pioneer a permanent Chinese presence in orbit.

“It conducted six successive rendezvous and dockings with spacecraft Shenzhou-8, Shenzhou-9, and Shenzhou-10 and completed all assigned missions, making important contributions to China’s manned space exploration activities,” said a memo that China submitted in May 2017 to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.

In the memo, China said it lost contact with the spacecraft on March 16, 2016, after it “fully fulfilled its historic mission.”

By May 2017, Tiangong-1 was coasting about 218 miles above Earth and dropping by about 525 feet a day, the memo said. Its altitude has since plummeted to an altitude of about 115 miles, according to the Aerospace Corporation’s latest data.

For any vehicle like this, the thing that brings them down is atmospheric drag,” Ailor said. “Why there’s a lot of uncertainty in the predictions is that it depends on what the sun’s doing, to a large measure.”

The sun can unleash solar storms and solar flares — bursts of X-rays and ultraviolet light — that heat Earth’s outer atmosphere, causing the air to expand and rise. That forces low-flying objects like Tiangong-1 to plow through denser gases.

“This puts just a little bit of a higher force on these objects that causes them to come down,” Ailor said.

An analysis of the combined effects of solar activity and Tiangong-1’s orbital speed, direction, and altitude, as well as other factors, helps the Aerospace Corporation provide its latest by-the-minute deorbit estimates.

Where China’s space station might crash

Tiangong-1 is likely to crash over the ocean, as water covers about 71% of Earth’s surface. But there’s a decent chance some pieces may strike land as it breaks up over a long and thin oval footprint.

“The whole footprint length for something like this could be 1,000 miles or so,” Ailor said, with heavier pieces at the front and lighter debris toward the back.

If anyone is lucky enough to witness Tiangong-1’s atmospheric breakup from an airplane, it may look similar to the destruction of the European Space Agency’s 14-ton Automated Transfer Vehicle.

The ATV was an expendable spacecraft that used to resupply the ISS. Once astronauts and cosmonauts unloaded its supplies, it was filled with garbage and sent careening back to Earth.

When asked for comment on Tiangong-1’s threat to ongoing NASA missions, the space agency told Business Insider it “actually doesn’t track any debris.”

But Ailor said pieces of China’s space station are “really unlikely” to hit anyone or anything on Earth.

According to The Aerospace Corp.’s website, the probability “is about 1 million times smaller than the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot.”

“It’s not impossible, but since the beginning of the space age … a woman who was brushed on the shoulder in Oklahoma is the only one we’re aware of who’s been touched by a piece of space debris,” he said.

Should a hunk of titanium, a computer, or another piece smash through a roof or windshield, however, international space law covers compensation for victims.

“It’s China’s responsibility if someone gets hurt or property gets damaged by this,” NASA’s representative said.

Source: http://www.clintgist.com/chinas-bus-size-space-station-is-about-80-hours-away-from-crashing-to-earth/

Pinshures?
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2018
dukeprince50:
u are so stupid, if God answers your prayers, na u go come deh shout Buhari.
bura uwaiki!
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by jamjam1991(m): 4:00pm On Mar 30, 2018
I no read am finish bt e get one side about black box... Biko beloved boxx please fall in a gutter close to me... In advance PMB can tell China I have their black box for sell grin grin grin shocked
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by knightehis(m): 4:34pm On Mar 30, 2018
Good for them. Made in China goods no dey last. E still dey pain me why our government and d so called S.O.N.(Standard Organisation of Nigeria) dey allow all those their substandard products enter our country. Mcteeww
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by AnodaIT(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2018
Is there any way they can make it to crash on Aso Rock?
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by brojoshua: 6:41pm On Mar 30, 2018
Fake products syndrome. But you will ask me, where are Nigeria's produced goods?
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by eodavids(m): 6:59pm On Mar 30, 2018
evanso6226:
China’s first space station, called Tiangong-1 or “Heavenly Palace,” will soon break up over Earth into a fiery rain of space junk.

The Aerospace Corp., a nonprofit spaceflight research company, has released its newest prediction about the derelict spacecraft’s doom: Tiangong-1 may reenter Earth’s atmosphere on April 1 at 3:15 a.m. EDT, give or take 20 hours. This means the dead spacecraft should come crashing down in about 100 hours, though possibly as soon as Saturday morning or late Sunday night.

When it does, extreme heat and pressure caused by plowing through the air at more than 15,000 mph will destroy the roughly 9.4-ton vessel.

Not everything may vanish, though.

There’s a good chance that gear and hardware left on board could survive intact all the way to the ground, according to Bill Ailor, an aerospace engineer who specializes in atmospheric reentry. That durability is thanks to Tiangong-1’s onion-like layers of protective material.

“The thing about a space station is that it’s typically got things on the inside,” Ailor, who works for The Aerospace Corp., previously told Business Insider. “So basically, the heating will just strip these various layers off.

“If you’ve got enough layers, a lot of the energy is gone before a particular object falls out, it doesn’t get hot, and it lands on the ground.”

For example, he said, after NASA’s Columbia space shuttle broke up over the US in 2003, investigators recovered a working flight computer. (The artifact that ultimately helped explain how the deadly incident happened.)

Predicting Tiangong-1’s crash to Earth

Launched in September 2011, Tiangong-1 is a two-room space station for two taikonauts, or Chinese astronauts.

It’s 34 feet long and has a volume of 15 cubic meters, or about 1/60th of the volume of the International Space Station, which is about as long as a football field.

Though China superseded Tiangong-1 in 2016 with Tiangong-2, space experts hailed the first space station as a major achievement for the nation, since it helped pioneer a permanent Chinese presence in orbit.

“It conducted six successive rendezvous and dockings with spacecraft Shenzhou-8, Shenzhou-9, and Shenzhou-10 and completed all assigned missions, making important contributions to China’s manned space exploration activities,” said a memo that China submitted in May 2017 to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.

In the memo, China said it lost contact with the spacecraft on March 16, 2016, after it “fully fulfilled its historic mission.”

By May 2017, Tiangong-1 was coasting about 218 miles above Earth and dropping by about 525 feet a day, the memo said. Its altitude has since plummeted to an altitude of about 115 miles, according to the Aerospace Corporation’s latest data.

For any vehicle like this, the thing that brings them down is atmospheric drag,” Ailor said. “Why there’s a lot of uncertainty in the predictions is that it depends on what the sun’s doing, to a large measure.”

The sun can unleash solar storms and solar flares — bursts of X-rays and ultraviolet light — that heat Earth’s outer atmosphere, causing the air to expand and rise. That forces low-flying objects like Tiangong-1 to plow through denser gases.

“This puts just a little bit of a higher force on these objects that causes them to come down,” Ailor said.

An analysis of the combined effects of solar activity and Tiangong-1’s orbital speed, direction, and altitude, as well as other factors, helps the Aerospace Corporation provide its latest by-the-minute deorbit estimates.

Where China’s space station might crash

Tiangong-1 is likely to crash over the ocean, as water covers about 71% of Earth’s surface. But there’s a decent chance some pieces may strike land as it breaks up over a long and thin oval footprint.

“The whole footprint length for something like this could be 1,000 miles or so,” Ailor said, with heavier pieces at the front and lighter debris toward the back.

If anyone is lucky enough to witness Tiangong-1’s atmospheric breakup from an airplane, it may look similar to the destruction of the European Space Agency’s 14-ton Automated Transfer Vehicle.

The ATV was an expendable spacecraft that used to resupply the ISS. Once astronauts and cosmonauts unloaded its supplies, it was filled with garbage and sent careening back to Earth.

When asked for comment on Tiangong-1’s threat to ongoing NASA missions, the space agency told Business Insider it “actually doesn’t track any debris.”

But Ailor said pieces of China’s space station are “really unlikely” to hit anyone or anything on Earth.

According to The Aerospace Corp.’s website, the probability “is about 1 million times smaller than the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot.”

“It’s not impossible, but since the beginning of the space age … a woman who was brushed on the shoulder in Oklahoma is the only one we’re aware of who’s been touched by a piece of space debris,” he said.

Should a hunk of titanium, a computer, or another piece smash through a roof or windshield, however, international space law covers compensation for victims.

“It’s China’s responsibility if someone gets hurt or property gets damaged by this,” NASA’s representative said.

Source: http://www.clintgist.com/chinas-bus-size-space-station-is-about-80-hours-away-from-crashing-to-earth/

China is trying.

But not good enough in producing durable technological hardwares.

I still remember some folks bashing me on this platform some months back because I insisted China is not taking over from united states as the no. 1 superpower owing to the fakenes of Chinese things generally.

Hope those folks reads this
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by AnodaIT(m): 7:02pm On Mar 30, 2018
sammyobi584:
Nigerian Bloggers should learn how to give credit to the source of information not copying and pasting everything.
I read exactly this same thing word to word in Bbc and yet you copied it without adding or removing anything and still quote your blog as the source..
why not quote the right source and direct us to your blog to read more than quoting your blog as the source.
80% of information you see on social media are spread by bloggers, and they spend money to make sure their page reaches you on your time line, something BBC would not do, so appreciate Nigerian bloggers for bringing the news items from different sources to you
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by sirwilson(m): 7:03pm On Mar 30, 2018
3:15 am EDT 1 April 2018 is about 8:15 am WAT Nigeria time. Thank God it's not falling to earth in the night.
Re: China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth by janey1984: 8:07pm On Mar 30, 2018
Dramadiddy:
what's the use of this post without pics?
which pictures are you looking for this man., Are you sure you read this?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Elephants Thrive In Ogun’s Wild Forest / Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) / 16-Year-Old Chukwu Emmanuel Builds Helicopter and Jet Toys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.