Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,980 members, 7,835,279 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria (3659 Views)

10 Nigerians Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro For Down Syndrome / Two-year-old Boy Diagnosed With Cloves Syndrome / Three Sisters With Werewolf Syndrome Fear They'll Never Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by infobox: 5:45pm On May 06, 2010
I just read about a disease called Tourette's syndrome. It got me thinking, do people have that in Nigeria? Alot of diseases could be in existence here but no one would know what they really are. Here's the definition of the disease: Neurological disorder characterized by facial grimaces and tics and movements of the upper body and grunts and shouts and coprolalia. I'd like to know if anyone in the house has it.
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by dominique(f): 9:46pm On May 06, 2010
i remember watching a show about it sometime ago on oprah. they're lots of conditions most Nigerians are ignorant of. tourette's just happen to be one of them. reports in the uk claims it affects 1 in 10,000. i'm not sure we can go by the same stats here in Nigeria or we'll be talking about over 150,000 people affected by the disorder.
here's a video about kids suffering form toourette's. you can see they're pretty regular kids apart from the uncoordinated sudden movements or facial expressions.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEKZLivG54&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by infobox: 11:33pm On May 06, 2010
Come to think of it, I have seen people with this syndrome in Nigeria. A friend of mine back in school always twitched her eyes instead of blinking.
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by Sissy3(f): 12:06am On May 07, 2010
they probably have but many will attribute it to other "juju" and evil spirits stuffs
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by dominique(f): 11:43pm On May 07, 2010
^^^ they'll say the person is possesed embarassed
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by agathamari(f): 10:15pm On May 08, 2010
tourettes can be found in EVERY country on the planet!

1 Like

Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by stanleemax: 2:38pm On Aug 15, 2016
Yeah! I have Tourette Syndrome.
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by LadyVCP: 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2019
I have been watching some shows recently about people living it with it. Its very scary because I thought that they were possessed or something.
There is a man in our school, he talks reasonably but his hands tends to move uncontrollably and he caught my attention because if he was mad then this has to be a special form of madness. I was usually scared watching him. But know I understand that he may have tourrettes. I think awareness should be created on this
Re: Do People Have Tourette's Syndrome In Nigeria by LadyVCP: 1:44pm On Jan 29, 2019
I have been watching some shows recently about people living it with it. Its very scary because I thought that they were possessed or something.
There is a man in our school, he talks reasonably but his hands tends to move uncontrollably and he caught my attention because if he was mad then this has to be a special form of madness. I was usually scared watching him. But know I understand that he may have tourrettes. I think awareness should be created on this.

(1) (Reply)

Native Doctors Now Issue Medical Report In Nigeria / COVID-19 Update For June 2 2021 In Nigeria / Onion Juice For Hair Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.