Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,701 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To (13031 Views)

I Finished My Salary Before 24hrs (picture) / Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary / From N10,000 Salary To Millionaire Pay: My Grace Filled Career Journey So Far. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by olayemi85(m): 9:10am On Apr 06, 2018
Please help, I work for a company for almost two years, I just quit the job because of the rate in which they increase our target why reducing our salary and making things difficult for us by each day. But before I quit they deduct each staff salary by 5% as tax expected to be remitted to tax authority but I doubt if this has ever been done, now I just quit, if I need anything from government in future,they may request for my tax certificate or any documents to show I pay my tax, please how do I go about it? Who has any idea of what to do about it? Because I suspect foul play in my company regarding this tax stuff. Thanks for your kind response

Please let the thread grace the front page. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Thegeneralqueen(f): 9:12am On Apr 06, 2018
Move on now move on this ain't worth your time cool

9 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by connkg(m): 9:19pm On Apr 06, 2018
olayemi85:
Please help, I work for a company for almost two years, I just quit the job because of the rate in which they increase our target why reducing our salary and making things difficult for us by each day. But before I quit they deduct each staff salary by 5% as tax expected to be remitted to tax authority but I doubt if this has ever been done, now I just quit, if I need anything from government in future,they may request for my tax certificate or any documents to show I pay my tax, please how do I go about it? Who has any idea of what to do about it? Because I suspect foul play in my company regarding this tax stuff. Thanks for your kind response

If there was any deduction, it should reflect on your payslip and your e-tax card (if you have one). Either or both cover government's requirement from you.

5 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by amiibaby(f): 7:00am On Apr 07, 2018
The poster above me make sense

2 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by LifeIsGuhd(f): 7:02am On Apr 07, 2018
angry

So why did they sack you?

angry
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by IfoyinTEDO(f): 7:03am On Apr 07, 2018

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by pyrex23(m): 7:03am On Apr 07, 2018
before we distbub ourself.. How much is the 5percent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by zlatanized007: 7:03am On Apr 07, 2018
hi everyone! I am currently carrying out a research project on the following items on the Nigerian Postal System, (Lagos, specifically) and desperately need more information:

---- Current workforce size of post offices and sorting centres in Lagos
---- Average hourly rate including social costs
---- Average logistics warehouse rental rate /m2/month
---- Number of sorting centres in Lagos
---- Total number of employees on the sorting centre
---- sorting time window on the sorting centre
----- Total number of employees on the post offices
----- Number of post offices
----- quantities of letter and flats per year
----- quantity of registered mail per year
----- number of china parcels per year
----- number of sorting phases

please if you can drop useful links or information related to the above, please do, I have scanned through the NIPOST website with very little info. coming out.I know this platform contains many important people who are highly knowledgeable....God bless!
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 07, 2018
poster 2 make sense

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by MxFactor: 7:04am On Apr 07, 2018
grin if your company pays its tax, you got nothing to worry about. If they don't blow the whistle and walk!
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by UDUJ(m): 7:07am On Apr 07, 2018
olayemi85:

Do you have a TIN (Tax Identification Number)? If you do you can get the verification if the deduction was really remitted to the tax authorities.

Then go to your nearest FIRS office to do the verification. See office locations link below:

http://www.firs.gov.ng/Resource-Centre/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Once you find out they never remitted your tax deductions then you have legal grounds to sue them

If you don't have a TIN, meaning you were never registered with the tax authorities by your company, you even have more grounds to sue as long as you have a signed employment letter. Get a good lawyer and do the needful. Cheers smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by computerboy: 7:07am On Apr 07, 2018
No need to check. About 90% of Nigerian employers do not remit tax. That's not even your fight. The one that concerns you is your pension and yes they don't remit it too.

Go and ask Donald Trump the name of this country

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by AK6464(m): 7:12am On Apr 07, 2018
Ask for a Tax Clearance Certificate at the end of the year

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by mayormick(m): 7:14am On Apr 07, 2018
Don't know how to determine it though but think u should just move on bro. Thank God they didn't sack u but quit, guess u should av plan(s) then. However, I think most company don't pay tax but only bribe their way out.
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by FakoMaybach1: 7:19am On Apr 07, 2018
Bros Your location is the most important aspect, if you are in Abuja then it will go to FIRS but for any other state your taxes goes to the state internal revenue board.

Bros i have to tell u that pursuing this is a waste of resources, when you were working with them your taxes were classified as PAYEE, that is pay as you earn...now that you have quit it will be cancelled and turn to Personal Income tax. so you pursing them for remitting Payee is not your duty but that of the government, and you are not responsible for them not paying. be at rest

I am a tax consultant and an auditor, for more information and if you need my services a mail will do

CiAO

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Nobody: 7:21am On Apr 07, 2018
UDUJ:

Do you have a TIN (Tax Identification Number)? If you do you can get the verification if the deduction was really remitted to the tax authorities.

Then go to your nearest FIRS office to do the verification. See office locations link below:

Once you find out they never remitted your tax deductions then you have legal grounds to sue them smiley

FIRS doesn't handle personal income tax except you are based in Abuja.

@ OP, do you have a tax card, if yes there is a number on your tax card starting with N-, you can take this number to any tax station and request that they help you run your remittance status (that's if you are based in lagos). If you don't have a tax card, you can still confirm from any of the tax station if the company remits taxes. You can send me a mail privately if you still need further help.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by funkystanl(m): 7:25am On Apr 07, 2018
OP, I'm not sure if you referring to only tax or other employee related deductions such as pension and NHF.

For TAX, it depends on the state you are tax resident. If you are in Lagos {or Ogun, portharcourt, abuja} you should have a tax clearance card/certificate {TCC}. If you are in Lagos its a card that displays a unique tax ID which you can use to verify {online} taxes remitted to the Lagos State tax authority.

I understand this TCC is usually difficult to get by most companies, however all companies are required to file employee tax return every year. Ask your company to produce the cover letter used in filing while they also show you the Form H1 with your name on it. Because the firm H1 is a schedule of all employee earnings and taxes it may be difficult to show you... But other employee information can be shaded.

In the event where any of the above is unavailable... You can whistle blow to the relevant authority. However look at the cost-benefit before doing this.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by UDUJ(m): 7:25am On Apr 07, 2018
doseni:

FIRS doesn't handle personal income tax except you are based in Abuja.

@ OP, do you have a tax card, if yes there is a number on your tax card starting with N-, you can take this number to any tax station and request that they help you run your remittance status (that's if you are based in lagos). If you don't have a tax card, you can still confirm from any of the tax station if the company remits taxes. You can send me a mail privately if you still need further help.

Yeah you're right for Abuja.

He can also do the verification with the various state tax authorities (better with the tax authority of the state in which he worked).
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by talk2hb1(m): 7:27am On Apr 07, 2018
Suicide is way of telling gods, you don't sack me I quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Ikuenami(m): 7:28am On Apr 07, 2018
YOU ARE ENTITLED TO TAX CERTIFICATE FROM THE TAX OFFICE IF THE TAX IS BEING DEDUCTED AND REMITTED TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITY
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by funkystanl(m): 7:33am On Apr 07, 2018
FakoMaybach1:
Bros Your location is the most important aspect, if you are in Abuja then it will go to FIRS but for any other state your taxes goes to the state internal revenue board.

Bros i have to tell u that pursuing this is a waste of resources, when you were working with them your taxes were classified as PAYEE, that is pay as you earn...now that you have quit it will be cancelled and turn to Personal Income tax. so you pursing them for remitting Payee is not your duty but that of the government, and you are not responsible for them not paying. be at rest

I am a tax consultant and an auditor, for more information and if you need my services a mail will do

CiAO

I disagree with the bolded. We all have a duty to hold employers accountable for taxes {including other statutory deductions} deducted from employees salary. And it's a bit confusing when you said PAYE will be cancelled and turn to PIT... Is PAYE not a type of PIT?

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 07, 2018
FakoMaybach1:

CiAO

I disagree with you, it's his responsibility to ensure that he gets credit for what was deducted from his salary, this allows him to have a tax history. He has a right to know if taxes deducted from his salary were remitted or not. If not remitted, the company should be reported to the appropriate tax authority, investigation and audit should be carried out with sanctions and penalties imposed on such company if found culpable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 07, 2018
funkystanl:

I disagree with the bolded. We all have a duty to hold employers accountable for taxes {including other statutory deductions} deducted from employees salary. And it's a bit confusing when you said PAYE will be cancelled and turn to PIT... Is PAYE not a type of PIT?

I wonder ooooo, and he said he is a tax consultant.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by UDUJ(m): 7:44am On Apr 07, 2018
FakoMaybach1:

CiAO

Tax consultant indeed angry

This is probably the most silly line of sentences I have read this year on Nairaland.

It's no wonder these so called consultants have ruined a lot of people with this type of advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by ndcide(m): 7:59am On Apr 07, 2018
Even that tax card, you sure say dem no dey runs am?

Anything Tax for this country, no runs.
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Adekdammy: 8:04am On Apr 07, 2018
UDUJ:

Once you find out they never remitted your tax deductions then you have legal grounds to sue them

If you don't have a TIN, meaning you were never registered with the tax authorities by your company, you even have more grounds to sue as long as you have a signed employment letter. Get a good lawyer and do the needful. Cheers smiley

Op is referring to paye which is remitted to the state, e-tcc is required and not TIN

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Adekdammy: 8:08am On Apr 07, 2018
I doubt the company is paying any paye on your behalf cos paye is not 5% of your salary.

You can confirm from here
www.lasg-ebs-rcm.com › Verify-etcc-card
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Ramsey247(m): 8:14am On Apr 07, 2018
Your advice is so unpatriotic. You should have just pass without commenting
Thegeneralqueen:
Move on now move on this ain't worth your time cool
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by Sterope(f): 8:17am On Apr 07, 2018
It sucks if they deducted 5% from the salary as tax and failt to remit it. It is called fraud and it is very unfair to the victim.

FakoMaybach1:

CiAO

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by funkystanl(m): 8:19am On Apr 07, 2018
Adekdammy:
I doubt the company is paying any paye on your behalf cos paye is not 5% of your salary.

You can confirm from here
www.lasg-ebs-rcm.com › Verify-etcc-card

There is a possibility, if the annual salary is about 300k. The marginal {effective} tax rate will be about 5% after taking into consideration of CRA {consolidated relief allowance} and other statutory deductions.

Remember PAYE is on a graduated scale and the tax rate is applied on the taxable pay after some reliefs have been deducted.
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by erico2k2(m): 8:21am On Apr 07, 2018
doseni:

I disagree with you, it's his responsibility to ensure that he gets credit for what was deducted from his salary, this allows him to have a tax history. He has a right to know if taxes deducted from his salary were remitted or not. If not remitted, the company should be reported to the appropriate tax authority, investigation and audit should be carried out with sanctions and penalties imposed on such company if found culpable.
NO he does not reason even if he managed to get it sorted the tax still goes to the government of the day, so who pays for his time and resources used in achieving this? see the logic? all he needs to make sure is that his pay slip carries he tax deduction that's it. However what all you guys working in 9ja need to fight for is make sure your pension deduction is remitted. that's the real deal.
Re: Please How Do I Know That My Company Remmited The Tax Deducted From My Salary To by erico2k2(m): 8:23am On Apr 07, 2018
FakoMaybach1:

CiAO
Since U r in the know let me ask, Do you have one tax rate in 9ja? is there a specified wage range or a tax code for different people of family size?I have never worked in 9ja so I truly don't know.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should There Be A Dress Code In Offices And Universities? / Can I Use Internationally Obtained Certificate To Work In Nigeria Civil Service? / Eight Things Remarkably Successful People Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.