Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,415 members, 7,861,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:29 AM

Wayne Rooney: My Overhead Kick Was Better - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wayne Rooney: My Overhead Kick Was Better (400 Views)

Ronaldo’s Overhead Kick Wins UEFA Goal Award / Ronaldo's Stunning Overhead Kick For Real Madrid Voted Uefa's Goal Of The Season / Patrick Mboma’s Overhead Kick For Cameroon, Before Ronaldo (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wayne Rooney: My Overhead Kick Was Better by emmans1994: 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2018
Wayne Rooney has said his famous bicycle kick goal against Manchester City was better than Cristiano Ronaldo's spectacular effort in Real Madrid's 3-0 Champions League win at Juventus.

Ronaldo produced a stunning strike at the Allianz Stadium on Tuesday, with his effort acclaimed by the home fans in Turin.
But Everton forward Rooney said his 2011 strike in a derby victory at Old Trafford -- with which Ronaldo's goal was quickly compared -- had been the better of the two.
The 32-year-old responded to Rio Ferdinand, a former United teammate of both his and Ronaldo's and now a television pundit, when he made the case for Ronaldo.
Ferdinand wrote on Twitter: "Don't be comparing Ronaldo's overhead kick to Rooney's vs Man City which came of his shin... Morning Wazza!!"
But Rooney, speaking in his role as an ambassador for the UEFA European Under-17 Championship, for which he conducted the draw on Thursday, said: "I texted Rio and I think it's actually a harder technique to do it off your shins. So I'll go with my own."
Speaking on BT Sport after the Juventus game, Ferdinand said of Ronaldo: "He turns up every time he is asked to deliver on the big stage -- he delivers. In his relentless pursuit of greatness, he produces an absolute moment of brilliance.

"This lit up this studio. Imagine what it did for people around the world to see one of the greatest, if not the greatest player on the planet, to produce a moment like this against Juventus, the magnitude of the game, the occasion."
Earlier this week, Zlatan Ibrahimovic -- who scored a spectacular long-range bicycle kick for Sweden against England -- praised Ronaldo as "a goal machine" but added: "He scored a beautiful goal, but he should try it from 40 metres and see if it goes in."

(1) (Reply)

BET-TIPS Of The Day Saturday 13th April 2018 / Green Consistency Odd Sellers, Has Anyone Tried Them, Please Share Your Experien / El Clasico: Messi, Suarez Score; Ronaldo Injured As Barcelona Stay Unbeaten

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.