Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

What should it be: self employed or employment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What should it be: self employed or employment (486 Views)

5 Things That Can Make You Self-employed In Nigeria / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / 101 Ways To Be Self-employed In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What should it be: self employed or employment by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
Greetings fellow nairalanders.
In few months time, i will be graduating from the university with BSc, (geology),
and OND (computer engineering) to complement.
The issue of next step after school has become a burden i struggle with daily.

A look at the nigeria job labour market shows there are few jobs for a huge population of job seekers, that not withstanding, i believe i would get a job if i decide to seek for one but thats not the point here.

Over the years, the general notion or idealogy about going to school in nigeria has been to graduate and become gainfully employed, that's the only time you would have succeeded in making yourself, family and friends proud.

Even though i may slightly disagree with the above, i also believe most of the employment we can create for ourselves has to do with going back to the streets, which is one thing we actually went to school to overcome.

Believe me, after school, you already have been built to like serene, corporate and organised environment, so going into the streets to trade or any kind of job will in a way want to interfare with some years environmental training and may likely create a distortion at the end.

On the other hand, the issue about employment is one other thing that has become inclined not to withstand environemental changes, tends to weather, foliate and cleave over time, pardon those words, i'm a geologist.

For instance, i read stories both here on NL and other sites, about couples calling for help after losing their jobs, most immediately after getting married and vice versa.

Most of these job loses came when these people were in the most important phases of their lives.

if i would eventually go into business or want to create a self employment for myself, i would like multimedia / entertainment and tech combined together,

this multimedia quest has pushed me to create a blog @ [url]streetnotion.info[/url] (you can visit the blog and make your assertions)

I have OND in computer engineering and may further to get a degree in that field with time. also i'm on intensive training on animation, html/css web design and development and graphics design.

Fellow nairalanders, what should it be, there is job security if one is employed in federal sector, especially in the academia, either academic or non academic staff, but those job openings are more difficult to come by, moreso, most of the people in this sector live averagely till death. Except for the few who engage in extortion or fraudulent acts.

Business itself is not guaranteed, a single policy from federal government can make your business colapse before your very eyes, not to mention things like epileptic power supply et al.

And when we talk about business here, even though i wouldnt want to mention capital, there is a need to always address the fact that nigeria is overly populated, every business niche you would want to go into already has many competitors, most of which have been in the business for a very long time with experience and mastery of the act.

This point above when argued with fellow enterprenuerial interested gurus, they would say, use your educational enterprenuerial skills to overcome them in terms of planning, creativity and execution, but i beg to differ that not all the people in the enterprenuerial field are illitrates.

Another truth, be it as it may, which is glaringly doubted by most is that self employment is more difficult than employment, if you have read the first two paragraphs above this, you would find points i made to back this assertion.

So finally, what should it be for someone desiring to start life,
please make your contributions and also, no vague answer.

N:B employment in this context is working for someone else as opposed to working for self.

PS: disregard any grammatical blunder but make a gentle non insulting correction if you have to.
Re: What should it be: self employed or employment by whitebeard(m): 1:11pm On Apr 08, 2018
Both smiley

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Am Strongly In Need Of Assistance. / What You Need To Know About 2018 Nigerian Fire Service Jobs / Apply Now For Ericsson Nigeria Graduate Trainee Program 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.