Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Your O - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Your O (546 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your O by Sammy2243: 9:55pm On Apr 08, 2018
Hello everyone, am a student of a prestigious university here in Nigeria. Am currently studying architecture and I'll like to your opinion concerning an issue. When I chose the course I didn't really know what I wanted but I chose architecture because when i was in primary school i love to draw a lot- i can be at home drawing from morning till night but when my parents saw that I liked drawing most of the time and I was not reading my books they didn't like it when they see me drawing so they always tell me to read my books instead of drawing. So as time goes on I finally succumbed to them and bit by bit I got into secondary school and I loose the interest I drawing and the talent also was gone from me. I chose to study architecture because saw it was a fine course and a field where I can travel, be self employed, and that i can also revive the talent of drawingetc... But during my part 1 1st semester I was getting tired of the course due to the fact that I didn't like like the archi courses I was taking it was more of drawings which I wasn't used to or I wasn't doing when I was at home.
Then I was already seeing the break light that I need to change the field. At the end of the sessio ( when part1 ended) I wanted to change so I discusses with friends and family about what I was about doing- some sat on the fence, they were like "follow your mind", others said it was because I jst started that freshman years are always like that that at the end of the day I may end up liking the course and that there's no easy course that I just had to face it,some people also said I should consider the time and money(which is much) I've invested into it that I can do it since others are doing it.
To cut the long story short am almost through with my second year now and am still not having interest what am doing I tried so much to develop myself in the course, I learn Archi software, draw in my spare time, spend more time in studio doing design yet am not happy with it, my grades are not compensating for the huge effort I put in for studio and other course involving creativity (majorly Archi courses). Am doing well in the courses that involves one to read and pass exams but all of this creative, artistic courses are not just helping me, after devoting long hours in doing them I don't see favourable result.
I've tried to talk to my coursemates asking them questions about this course especially those that are doing well in it and I realise that most of them do have a flair for drawing,some also have architects who are already in the field
Lastly when I look at the years dedicated to get a degree in architecture (5years) and one year for masters which is compulsory if u want to practice and become a certified architect I don't think it is worth the stress because even as a Fresh graduate of architecture ( after nysc) you work in firm that pay you stipend before you can stand on yr own which will take about 5 to 10 years. I know the course is 6 years before choosing it( as stated in bronchure) but am unaware of the pay n what it entail- long working hrs drawing plan,section,elevation etc and also exams to be taken before becoming certified. Also am on a very law GPA now I can't cross to a course that make sense anymore and I don't want to go for anyhow course.. What should I do, should I take another jamb to get a degree that will allow me to work in any field I choose to- I've decided to study economics or cross to another department like sociology, education courses as future sometimes don't depend on the course one studies

(1) (Reply)

Top 5 Reasons You Should Study In Canada / Python Programming Language / Apply Now: Micro Leasing Limited Massive Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.