Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation (26351 Views)

Mummified Corpses: Edo Police Reveal Details Of Investigation / Lagos: No Social Distancing This Morning, Gtbank, Ikorodu BRT Terminal Pictured / Why Beans And Ripe Plantain Combination Is Called 'Delicious Poison' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by mzangy: 8:51am On Apr 09, 2018
That was how I ended in the hospital for two days as a result of fruit poisoning.
The mango was so sweet, I ate three, it wasn't up to 2 hrs I landed in the hospital. Since then I became scared of eating mango.

Most Palm oil dealers add chemical to their products as well. Nothing is safe in this country any more.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Egein(m): 8:53am On Apr 09, 2018
Davido wey dey sing "Banana fall on you"; why him never die....
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by BigBelleControl(m): 8:53am On Apr 09, 2018
These days, bananas look like something ripe outside but hard inside. You can't even suck water out of oranges, they're so dry. Even red looking water melons are no longer sweet. Everything in this country is a scam.

1 Like

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by hadura29(m): 9:14am On Apr 09, 2018
emmie14:
If we are no longer safe taking fruits then whiskys beers and cigarettes should be considered.

My man.... grin

1 Like

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by EagleScribes: 9:36am On Apr 09, 2018
The more reason why we have to pay more attention to our health. It's like using a low grade engine oil for your car. It will knock down very early if it is not serviced regularly

Health maintenance is key

Check my signature
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 09, 2018
400billionman:
What is the Nigerian Senate waiting for to enact laws to punish anyone found ripening fruits with Calcium Carbide? NAFDAC. The Ministry of Health and the Nigerian Senate should live up to expectations, when the right laws are in place even the sale of Carbide in a fruit market becomes a crime. Stop crying wolf.

Do they really care? Seems you take these morons too seriously.

1 Like

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Chidonc(m): 9:56am On Apr 09, 2018
9icest:
I disagree. You think Nigerian farmers can afford that chemical. You are off point. The only few companies I know who go though this processes are Starcek in Kano, Imperial Grains and the like who supply grains and PKC to poultry mills all over the South. They don't use gas chloride to dry corn and not ripen. The average farmer will just store the products inside a wooden silo with zinc roof that will turn the brain of the prouduct so it can ripen fast. Abeg ignore this write up and enjoy your food. Only imported foods are the killer here not the local ones. Most of the fruits in shoprite are total poison. Stay away from that shyt. Just buy their wine and gadgets but not the edible
shut up this fool, calcium carbide which goes for as low as #50 you say they can't afford

2 Likes

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by BetaThings: 9:56am On Apr 09, 2018
9icest:
I disagree. You think Nigerian farmers can afford that chemical. You are off point. The only few companies I know who go though this processes are Starcek in Kano, Imperial Grains and the like who supply grains and PKC to poultry mills all over the South. They don't use gas chloride to dry corn and not ripen. The average farmer will just store the products inside a wooden silo with zinc roof that will turn the brain of the prouduct so it can ripen fast. Abeg ignore this write up and enjoy your food. Only imported foods are the killer here not the local ones. Most of the fruits in shoprite are total poison. Stay away from that shyt. Just buy their wine and gadgets but not the edible

The journalist quoted two human beings
You quoted nobody and we should believe you?
Where is your calcium-carbide ripened plantain/banana shop?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by NovaCare: 10:00am On Apr 09, 2018
I talked about this in the suya thread. Many sudden and untimely deaths in Nigeria today are attributed to what people eat.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Parablesonmarble: 10:04am On Apr 09, 2018
9icest:
Ethene is what simple chemistry teaches than help in hastening of fruits to ripe. Since it is a simple organic compound that the body can process, I guess it's cool to use. This thing with calcium carbide tire me.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by kmaster007: 10:12am On Apr 09, 2018
we don hv choice Dan to b eating dem jooooor, God go protect us. whr is water we drink coming from. we neva no d source and we still dey alive
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by khalids: 10:29am On Apr 09, 2018
Best bet is to buy the unripe one.....
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Aliru: 10:36am On Apr 09, 2018
NAFDAC need to first of all educate all fruit marketers across the country of the negative consequences of force ripening of fruits using chemicals, placed a ban on the use of chemicals for fruits ripening and lastly arrest and prosecute offenders.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by maasoap(m): 10:54am On Apr 09, 2018
BigBelleControl:
These days, bananas look like something ripe outside but hard inside. You can't even suck water out of oranges, they're so dry. Even red looking water melons are no longer sweet. Everything in this country is a scam.

I dey tell you. Even, artisans are scammers.

How to know plantain that was rippened using chemicals: the whole of its body will be pure yellow without black spots and the stalk will be green.
The one that was rippened naturally will have black spots on its body while its stalk will be black/dark.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by kanubiafra: 10:54am On Apr 09, 2018
origima:

How?
TOPIC says mango banana etc but details says calcium
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by maasoap(m): 11:00am On Apr 09, 2018
mzangy:
That was how I ended in the hospital for two days as a result of fruit poisoning.
The mango was so sweet, I ate three, it wasn't up to 2 hrs I landed in the hospital. Since then I became scared of eating mango.

Most Palm oil dealers add chemical to their products as well. Nothing is safe in this country any more.

If you see palm oil that is too fine, too attractive to the eye, just avoid it. Most especially, the imported ones.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 09, 2018
Long be today, I've stopped eating imported fruits like Apple, Peach and berries. They use chemicals to ripen it and they add a lot of preservatives to it so that it won't spoil quickly.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by bignero: 11:26am On Apr 09, 2018
maasoap:

If you see palm oil that is too fine, too attractive to the eye, just avoid it. Most especially, the imported ones.

good info

but pls how do you define fine oil?
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by maasoap(m): 11:29am On Apr 09, 2018
bignero:

good info

but pls how do you define fine oil?
They are just too colourful to eyes. The traders are adding "dye" to it to make it attractive. Good red oil doesn't need to be too red or too colourful before one can buy.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by mzangy: 12:26pm On Apr 09, 2018
maasoap:

You are right.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 09, 2018
9icest:
The chemical is cheap and can be gotten easily if you're interested. As children, I can't even remember how we got it and used as 'banger'. We put water in a crown cork, add little pieces of the chemical, and cover for a few seconds with a tin. Then we open and apply fire. The explosion from this was usually massive. It sounded more than the regular firework. That chemical is everywhere, ask welders

1 Like

Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 09, 2018
maasoap:

I dey tell you. Even, artisans are scammers.

How to know plantain that was rippened using chemicals: the whole of its body will be pure yellow without black spots and the stalk will be green.
The one that was rippened naturally will have black spots on its body while its stalk will be black/dark.
You too sabi. The ripening will look perfect.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2018
BetaThings:

The journalist quoted two human beings
You quoted nobody and we should believe you?
Where is your calcium-carbide ripened plantain/banana shop?
No mind that guy, na over sabi de do am
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by mfm04622: 1:02pm On Apr 09, 2018
9icest:

Please don't say what you don't know! Local traders do use carbide to ripen fruits, especially banana and plantain. I have not heard of carbide being used on mangoes before.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by Razak5(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
BigBelleControl:

I absolutely agree!

Recently, I stopped buying oranges while going home!
I just banned bananas... If it ain't the real thing I'm not buying... angry
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by nursemyke: 2:35pm On Apr 09, 2018
This statement is a very wrong assertion, calcium carbide releases ethylene gas when exposed to water. It's the ethylene gas that causes fruits to ripen. Naturally fruits emits ethylene gas from their stalk which aid natural ripening. Has any research been done and published to show that calcium carbide when in contact with fruits is carcinogenic? Also that Dr from the primary health center is Olodo, how can he say calcium carbide has radioactive ingredients
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by extremelygolden: 8:21pm On Apr 09, 2018
I miss Madam Dora Akinyuli.
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by AlphaTaikun: 1:28pm On Sep 28, 2022
dudebuck:
industrial fruit companies use this method to hasten the ripening of their fruits. Anyways small quantities of Calcium carbide are released naturally by bananas while ripening, that is why they ripen faster when they are covered
Re: How Mango, Banana, Plantain Cause Terminal Illnesses – Investigation by birchcity: 7:59am On Mar 25, 2023
We are providing you some general information about artificial faux olive trees.

Artificial best faux olive trees are a popular choice for home and commercial decor as they provide a natural look without requiring regular maintenance or watering. When looking for the best faux olive trees, there are a few things to consider:

https://www.birchcity.com/blogs/journal/the-best-fake-olive-tree-you-should-never-miss-on-birchcity-com

(1) (2) (Reply)

591 New COVID-19 Cases, 498 Discharged And 12 Deaths On July 24 - (3478 Tested) / Man Weds His Wife Who Has Breast Cancer On Hospital Bed In Benue After 50 Years / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.