Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Differences Between The Gmat And Gre - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences Between The Gmat And Gre (16764 Views)

Where To Buy Sat, Toefl, Ielts, Gre, Gmat, And Act Books In Nigeria / Between GMAT And GRE, Which Is Easier To Pass? / 25 vouchers for less privileged on Toefl, Gre, Gmat And Pte (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by JARUSHUB: 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2018
By Uchechi Moses

An advanced education forges one’s career or enterprise forward. Whether you desire to go to graduate school or business school – it is an important step in one’s life and career. In order to achieve this, you must write certain examinations (LSAT, IELTS, TOEFL, EJU, GRE, GMAT etc). The GRE and GMAT are amongst the most sought after, with the former being the most preferred for graduate studies and latter for business and management programs.

GMAT

The GMAT (Graduate Management Aptitude Test) is organised by the Graduate Admission Management Council (GMAC). It is a computer-based standardised examinations taken majorly by candidates aspiring to study management courses, including MBA, MSc. Accountancy, MSc. Finance amongst others. Founded in 1965 and accepted by more than 7, 000 business and management programs in circa 2. 300 graduate business schools globally, the GMAT assesses the possibility of graduate student success in business school. It is formulated to assist business schools and candidates understand their readiness for the rigorousness and intellectual activities you will experience in a graduate management program. These skills, the GMAC says, are important prerequisites for classes and activities you will face in a graduate program commencing from Day 1. It has four sections:

- Analytical Writing Assessment
- Integrated Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning.

The AWA assesses one’s critical thinking skills and measures how you communicate ideas. Candidates are given an argument to analyse critically and write a critique of it in 30 minutes. Basically, it is all about how you analyse an argument. Only a topic is given and the duration is 30 minutes. One’s score in this section does not count into the final assessment. The IR section evaluates candidates’ ability to process information presented in multiple formats from different sources. According to the test makers, this is necessary in an increasingly data driven economy. This section has four question types: Table analysis, Graphics interpretation, Multi-source, reasoning and two-part analysis and is slated to be done in 30 minutes. The quant section of the examination assesses one’s knowledge of quantitative reasoning, problem solving skills, interpretation of data, and analysing a given information accurately. Knowledge of secondary school (high school) mathematics is important: Geometry, algebra and arithmetic etc. There are two types of questions here: Problem solving and data sufficiency. Where the former assesses your ability to reason quantitatively and solve problems, and the latter for understanding and analysing a problem and noting relevant information, while discarding irrelevant information. Calculators are not allowed in the quant section of the GMAT. Finally, the verbal section deals with your analyses of information and drawing a conclusion. It assesses your ability to read and understand written material, gauge arguments and sentence correction. Both the quant and verbal section are slated to be completed in 75 minutes respectively.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by JARUSHUB: 12:56pm On Apr 12, 2018
GRE

With its history dating back to 1969 and administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for graduate programs into North American schools, and other parts of the world. The GRE, according to test makers, evaluates one’s verbal and quant reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills. It is not related to a specific field of study, but skills developed over a long period of time are vital for all. Unlike the GMAT that has four sections, the GRE has six arranged in three. Namely:

Analytical Writing Section (involving two separately timed issues and arguments). Duration is 30 minutes.

Quantitative (contains 2 sections and 20 questions per section; evaluates problem solving skills based on basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra and data analysis. Unlike the GMAT, the GRE provides a calculator in its quant section). Time is 35 minutes per section.

Verbal (Ditto as the quant, it has 2 sections and 20 questions per section; assesses ability to analyse written information harmonise information extracted from it. Also assesses the understanding of relationships of among parts of sentences and recognise among words and concepts). The duration for a section is 30 minutes.

An experimental or research section: Here, takers are given a similar format of the quant and verbal questions. However, they are not told which of the quant or verbal is experimental. Although, it does not add or reduce your overall score, but you cannot detect which section is experimental is thereby ensuring you don’t skip a section – for your own good. Additionally, you could be lucky not to face an experimental section on the exam day. However, if it is research, you’ll be told it is research thereby giving you the opportunity to skip it. The experimental section is not included in the paper-based exam. ETS says it is to gauge candidates for future questions.

According to US News, the GRE is flexible due to the fact that it can be used for graduate studies as well as management programs (e.g. MBA). The GRE is currently accepted by over 1, 200 universities which offer business and management programs. As earlier stated, the GMAT is accepted by over 7, 000 business and management programs. So if you are going to business school, it is advisable to write the GMAT. However, if you’re opting for graduate studies, the GRE is perfect. If you might have a change of plans and aspirations, then write the GRE.

POINTS TO NOTE

Verbal: In the GMAT, you are tested on grammar and comprehension, while the GRE evaluates your ability with complex and uncommon words. Basically, if you are good in having a memory of complex vocabularies, the GRE is preferable.

Quant: The math in this section is secondary school mathematics. However, with the inclusion of the integrated reasoning which is quite challenging, the GMAT quant section gets tougher especially for those not very versed in mathematics. Most people who have taken both examinations say the GMAT is rigorous quantitatively, while the GRE is verbally more challenging.

The GRE can be used in place of the GMAT, but the GMAT cannot be used to replace the GRE. This depends on a program's requirements and institution.

Finally, it is important to research about the school and program’s requirements before you make a decision on the exam to be written. The GMAT is a tried and tested examination for B-school, but the GRE provides another opportunity for students who might change their career plans from the business world.

http://www.jarushub.com/gmat-vs-gre/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Sarang(f): 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2018
smiley Another FTC! Educative thread

Please guys see my signature

Modified: Okay I was not celebrating frontpage for nothing; the kids are not nothing!

So can you not quote me and judge me??
Sorry if I offended anyone but this thread really is educative and I said so..

Take some chill pills guys smiley
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Lawalemi(m): 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2018
Good one. Meanwhile I don jump this one pass.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by dotbaba86(m): 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2018
Graet
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by geostrata(m): 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2018
From my job test experience.... I prefer GMAT to GRE, GMAT has variety of common maths n English questions, unlike GRE we dem go use graphs finish u, n true false cannot say questions

Click LIKE for GMAT and Share for GRE

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by theboss2020: 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2018
Happy to be here today.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Mistadapo: 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2018
This is Maldives Island a luxury vacation spot on the Indian Ocean. Nice place to spend your vacation. Contact us at TravelCom Network today.
W: www.travelcomnetwork.com
E: Info@travelcomnetwork.com
T: 081368557676, 08177415259

#businesstravel #travelworldwide #travelagencylagos #travelagency #travelmanagement #travelwithstyle #travelwithtravelcomnetwork #igtravels #traveldestination #vacation #holiday #destination

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by t00dugged(f): 1:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
Noted
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by joey150(m): 1:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
Sarang:
smiley Another FTC!

Are you actually helping orphans or just dedicating poems to them?

Now don't assume there is any prejudice behind this question
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by CSTR1003: 1:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
t00dugged:
Noted
I learnt that a 330/350 in GRE earns you a guaranteed fully paid scholarship in the USA.

How true is that?
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by JARUSHUB: 1:41pm On Apr 12, 2018
Meanwhile, have you had an embarrassing interview moment? What was it? What were the lessons learnt? Participate in this contest by narrating your experience using the hashtag #JarusHubInterviewCoaching. The individuals with the most amazing experiences get a free interview coaching slot with us. Follow, share, like and retweet your experiences on Twitter @Jarushub and Instagram @Jarushub. The more you share using the hashtag #JarusHubInterviewCoaching, the more your chances of being selected.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Temysteve(m): 1:41pm On Apr 12, 2018
Sarang:
smiley Another FTC!

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Tarivanessa(f): 1:42pm On Apr 12, 2018
all follow join grin as my bayelsa people will say
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Temysteve(m): 1:42pm On Apr 12, 2018
Sarang:
smiley Another FTC!
what wass post so meaningless to you, that was why you were able to celebrate FTC! I pray your head brain open.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by JARUSHUB: 1:46pm On Apr 12, 2018
CSTR1003:

I learnt that a 330/350 in GRE earns you a guaranteed fully paid scholarship in the USA.

How true is that?

Yes and no.

Yes, as it is in the 90th percentile and shows cognitive ability. No, as the GRE is not the sole determinant of getting a guaranteed scholarship or tuition wavier. Other documents like PS/SoP, LORs etc have their part to play and are very important.

http://www.jarushub.com/why-universities-require-personal-statements/

P.S. 340 not 350.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 12, 2018
cool
t00dugged:
Noted
warri babe?
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by piagetskinner(m): 1:50pm On Apr 12, 2018
both exams are very tasking jare
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by CSTR1003: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2018
JARUSHUB:

Yes and no.

Yes, as it is in the 90th percentile and shows cognitive ability. No, as the GRE is not sole determinant of getting a guaranteed scholarship or tuition wavier. Other documents like SoP, LORs etc have their part to play and are very important.

P.S. 340 not 350.

Thanks.

An outstanding SOP and LORs is the easy part. I have experienced mentors that can put me through.

The main thing is getting that 330 . That is what I just needed to confirm .

I learnt that my first class is no longer as relevant, due to its proliferation.

So a 330 is my only option and I intend to get it.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by bayocanny: 2:18pm On Apr 12, 2018
CSTR1003:

How true is that?
Yes it is actually true infact u don't need to score that hight before u get funding for your masters degree, 300 upward is OK
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by bayocanny: 2:19pm On Apr 12, 2018
lincoffm:
PUBLIC NOTICE

I am here to inform y'all about the 50% discount I offer for TOEFL , SAT & GRE . There will be free .pdf Format materials after every registration.

Contact Signature.

View Recommendations;

https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=lincoffm

Regards,
God bless you bro
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by bayocanny: 2:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
piagetskinner:
both exams are very tasking jare
Lol, the analytical writing in GRE na die, it require extra intelligent candidate to ace that task
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Gerrard59(m): 2:22pm On Apr 12, 2018
CSTR1003:

Thanks.

An outstanding SOP and LORs is the easy part. I have experienced mentors that can put me through.

The main thing is getting that 330 . That is what I just needed to confirm .

I learnt that my first class is no longer as relevant, due to its proliferation.

So a 330 is my only option and I intend to get it.

Thanks

Hello,

Thought you once said you finished from Imperial College London (either Pet or Chem Eng)? With a first degree from Futo?

@Post: If only Japanese schools are interested in the GRE embarassed
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by CSTR1003: 2:23pm On Apr 12, 2018
bayocanny:

Yes it is actually true infact u don't need to score that hight before u get funding for your masters degree, 300 upward is OK
Thanks.

A lecturer friend that just came back from the US told me 330.
Maybe he was looking at the IVY leagues.

Thanks.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Ade3000yrs(m): 2:25pm On Apr 12, 2018
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by bayocanny: 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2018
CSTR1003:

Thanks.

A lecturer friend that just came back from the US told me 330.
Maybe he was looking at the IVY leagues.

Thanks.
Yeah maybe, there are some other schools that doesn't require that scores before getting admitted, you GP, LOR and SOP are the determinant in getting funding for your msc
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Sarang(f): 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2018
Temysteve:
what wass post so meaningless to you, that was why you were able to celebrate FTC! I pray your head brain open.

Sorry about that..
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Sarang(f): 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2018
joey150:

Are you actually helping orphans or just dedicating poems to them?

Now don't assume there is any prejudice behind this question

Both if possible smiley you can help too if you want to, no worries
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by CSTR1003: 2:32pm On Apr 12, 2018
Gerrard59:

Hello,

Thought you once said you finished from Imperial College London (either Pet or Chem Eng)? With a first degree from Futo?

@Post: If only Japanese schools are interested in the GRE embarassed
A first class degree in Chem Eng from Nigeria. The university of Benin to be precise.
Applied to Imperial College . Didnt get in .

A consultant told me I needed a more rounded "background" to give me a better chance .
I was just finishing school then.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by CSTR1003: 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2018
bayocanny:

Yeah maybe, there are some other schools that doesn't require that scores before getting admitted, you GP, LOR and SOP are the determinant in getting funding for your msc
okay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Registration Portal For The 2017 UTME Is Now Open. / 71 Nigerian Scientists Among Top 2% Globally - Statisense / UNILAG Rewards Honest And Efficient Staff With Accelerated Promotion(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.