Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Gianluigi Buffon: Referee Michael Oliver Ruined Juventus’ Semi-final Chance - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gianluigi Buffon: Referee Michael Oliver Ruined Juventus’ Semi-final Chance (507 Views)

Legendary Italian Goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon Retires From Football / Legendary Captain Gianluigi Buffon Returns To Juventus / UCL: Gianluigi Buffon Mocked After Manchester United Goal Error (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gianluigi Buffon: Referee Michael Oliver Ruined Juventus’ Semi-final Chance by dabblesports(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2018
[img]
Real Madrid had led 3-0, stemming from the first leg result against Juventus in Turin, but their advantage was wiped out at Bernabeu through two goals from Mario Mandzukic headers and another from Blaise Matuidi who struck after Keylor Navas’ error.

The centre referee for the match, English official Michael Oliver awarded an injury time penalty to Real for Mehdi Benatia’s foul on Madrid’s Lucas Vazquez.
Juventus goalkeeper Buffon was sent off by the referee for his reaction after the penalty was awarded.
[img]
“It was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear-cut,” Buffon told Italian TV.
Buffon did tell the Italian media that referee Oliver should “sit in the stands eating crisps” for “ruining a dream”.

As the game tied at 3-3 on aggregate was heading to extra time, the referee adjudged Benatia of bringing down Vazquez in the box and pointed to the penalty spot.

Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo stepped forward and neatly had the ball behind the net in the 97th minute.
Goal keeper Buffon and Juventus captain was shown his first Champions League red card on his 650th appearance for Juventus.
He said after the game: “It was one-tenth of a penalty.

“I know the referee saw what he saw, but it was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear cut.
And a dubious incident in the 93rd minute when we had a clear penalty denied in the first leg, you cannot award that at this point.”
[img]
“The team gave it’s all, but a human being cannot destroy dreams like that at the end of an extraordinary comeback on a dubious situation.
“Clearly you cannot have a heart in your chest, but a bag of rubbish. On top of that, if you don’t have the character to walk on a pitch like this in a stadium like this, you can sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, having your drink and eating crisps.

“You cannot ruin the dreams of a team. I could have told the referee anything at that moment, but he had to understand the degree of the disaster he was creating.
[img][/img]
“If you can’t handle the pressure and have the courage to make a decision, then you should just sit in the stands and eat your crisps.”
Ronaldo scored the decider for Real Madrid thereby halting Juventus’ hope of advancing to the semi-final.
“I don’t understand why they are protesting,” said Ronaldo.

“Lucas was tackled from behind and if they don’t give him the penalty, it is a goal.
“The pulse increased, but I calmed down, and I knew I would be decisive.”
What the managers say:

Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane: The Frenchman has guided the Spanish side to back-to-back Champions League crowns, as well as a La Liga title since taking charge of the side in 2016.
Zidane said: ”Juventus played well in the first leg and perhaps deserved a goal. Today it was the same for us.

“They scored early on like we did there and this is football. The Champions League is the crème de la crème and anything can happen.
“We were always going to suffer and be pressed high. They did that and played wonderfully well and their coach’s plan worked.

“I never thought we were going out, I am a positive thinker. I never believed we weren’t going through.”

Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri: “Games like these are great moments against the biggest clubs in the world. We want to be the best.
“Sometimes things go for you, and other times they don’t. We need to get over this hard moment and move forwards.”

The Uefa Champions League semi-final draw holds on Friday at the Uefa headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland with Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and AS Roma being the semi-finalists.

1 Share

Re: Gianluigi Buffon: Referee Michael Oliver Ruined Juventus’ Semi-final Chance by dabblesports(m): 1:47pm On Apr 12, 2018
dabblesports:
[img]

Real Madrid had led 3-0, stemming from the first leg result against Juventus in Turin, but their advantage was wiped out at Bernabeu through two goals from Mario Mandzukic headers and another from Blaise Matuidi who struck after Keylor Navas’ error.

The centre referee for the match, English official Michael Oliver awarded an injury time penalty to Real for Mehdi Benatia’s foul on Madrid’s Lucas Vazquez.
Juventus goalkeeper Buffon was sent off by the referee for his reaction after the penalty was awarded.
[img]
“It was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear-cut,” Buffon told Italian TV.
Buffon did tell the Italian media that referee Oliver should “sit in the stands eating crisps” for “ruining a dream”.

As the game tied at 3-3 on aggregate was heading to extra time, the referee adjudged Benatia of bringing down Vazquez in the box and pointed to the penalty spot.

Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo stepped forward and neatly had the ball behind the net in the 97th minute.
Goal keeper Buffon and Juventus captain was shown his first Champions League red card on his 650th appearance for Juventus.
He said after the game: “It was one-tenth of a penalty.

“I know the referee saw what he saw, but it was certainly a dubious incident. Not clear cut.
And a dubious incident in the 93rd minute when we had a clear penalty denied in the first leg, you cannot award that at this point.”
[img]
“The team gave it’s all, but a human being cannot destroy dreams like that at the end of an extraordinary comeback on a dubious situation.
“Clearly you cannot have a heart in your chest, but a bag of rubbish. On top of that, if you don’t have the character to walk on a pitch like this in a stadium like this, you can sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, having your drink and eating crisps.

“You cannot ruin the dreams of a team. I could have told the referee anything at that moment, but he had to understand the degree of the disaster he was creating.
[img][/img]
“If you can’t handle the pressure and have the courage to make a decision, then you should just sit in the stands and eat your crisps.”
Ronaldo scored the decider for Real Madrid thereby halting Juventus’ hope of advancing to the semi-final.
“I don’t understand why they are protesting,” said Ronaldo.

“Lucas was tackled from behind and if they don’t give him the penalty, it is a goal.
“The pulse increased, but I calmed down, and I knew I would be decisive.”
What the managers say:

Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane: The Frenchman has guided the Spanish side to back-to-back Champions League crowns, as well as a La Liga title since taking charge of the side in 2016.
Zidane said: ”Juventus played well in the first leg and perhaps deserved a goal. Today it was the same for us.

“They scored early on like we did there and this is football. The Champions League is the crème de la crème and anything can happen.
“We were always going to suffer and be pressed high. They did that and played wonderfully well and their coach’s plan worked.

“I never thought we were going out, I am a positive thinker. I never believed we weren’t going through.”

Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri: “Games like these are great moments against the biggest clubs in the world. We want to be the best.
“Sometimes things go for you, and other times they don’t. We need to get over this hard moment and move forwards.”

The Uefa Champions League semi-final draw holds on Friday at the Uefa headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland with Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and AS Roma being the semi-finalists.

(1) (Reply)

Can Nigeria Qualify From At Group Stage? / Hot Expert Betting Tips For Today 18/6/2018 Win Big!! / #WorldCup2018: Check Out This Three Breathtaking Pictures From Day 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.