Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,143 members, 7,829,088 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

South Africa's Caster Semenya Wins 1,500m Gold, Aims To Add 800m Gold - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / South Africa's Caster Semenya Wins 1,500m Gold, Aims To Add 800m Gold (370 Views)

Athletics: Semenya Loses Appeal Against CAS Ruling Over Testosterone Regulations / Banned South African Female Athlete Semenya, Joins A Football Team / Caster Semenya Can Compete Again After Swiss Court Ruling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South Africa's Caster Semenya Wins 1,500m Gold, Aims To Add 800m Gold by Aboguede(m): 9:00pm On Apr 12, 2018
South African flag-bearer Caster Semenya powered to the 1,500 metres title at the Commonwealth Games on Tuesday, keeping her bid for a golden double at the Gold Coste intact.

The 800m Olympic and world champion bided her time before burning away from the modest field to post a Games record time of four minutes and 0.72 seconds on a soggy track at Carrara Stadium.

Semenya, who will run for gold in the 800m, left Kenya’s silver medallist Beatrice Chepkoech (4:03:09) in her wake, with Wales’ Melissa Courtney taking the bronze.

Before arriving in Australia, Semenya promised to lead South Africa by example. She now hopes her commanding win will inspire her team mates.

“Basically I’m more like a captain so I need to show the guys that I’m a woman of my words,” the 27-year-old told reporters after an evening session punctured by rain showers.

“If I say I will do something I will do it. Also it’s just to motivate them so they can believe in themselves.

“With 10 years of experience for me now I think I’m ready for anything.”

Semenya’s gold continued a proud Games for South Africa on the track, following Akani Simbine’s 100m gold when he upstaged Jamaica’s favourite Yohan Blake on Monday

(1) (Reply)

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE Semi Final Draw Out Now / Madrid Spelled Down The German Side, In A 2-1 Victory / Daily Soccer Predictions PREDICTION (12/06/2018)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.