Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? (1512 Views)

Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding / Northern Nigeria Power Holding Compny. / Ghanian Helps To Solve Nigeria's Fake Drug Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by adechuks(m): 8:05am On Mar 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

One major source of frustration in today's Nigeria is the lack of constant electric power.

What can, or what should we do to get this thing right

How is it working elsewhere? Do we go solar for rural areas.

Millions of Nigerians generate their own power, but is there nothing we can do to have all these problems go away
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Seun(m): 10:39am On Mar 14, 2007
Once the private sector is invited into commercial power generation and distribution, all will be well.
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by naijababe2(f): 2:00pm On Mar 16, 2007
this nepa issue well i don't even know what i can say about them, cos they are frustrating everyone, that is the only organisation that nigerians hate in this country. since we got alot of sun i tink we can move up to solar power, at least its far better than nepa!!
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by naijacutee(f): 1:01am On Mar 17, 2007
Adechuks, I'm with you on this question. We have to find a solution . . . fast!
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Seun(m): 1:32am On Mar 17, 2007
The solution is privatization. Break up the monopoly into several pieces and sell each piece to the highest bidder!
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by dblock(m): 11:23am On Mar 17, 2007
Have Less children
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by nicelady1(f): 4:54pm On Mar 17, 2007
Honestly, i was with my mum yesterday and we were talking about how worse they've become. She told me a relative called her and told her dat they brought over =N=20,000 bill for light dat has been almost non-existent in dat house and nobody even lives in d house except once in a while, when d relative goes there.

I can't even think of a solution right now. God forgive me, it's like dat country is cursed or something cos sometimes it feels like we're taking one step forward and in d middle, they take two steps backwards again.

Can u imagine how much dat country would be losing in investments, businesses on dat aspect alone?
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by dblock(m): 5:12am On Mar 18, 2007
You keep saying that coutry, that coutry, whose country is it angry
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Seun(m): 11:24am On Mar 18, 2007
I can't wait until the time when I can supply electricity to the people on my street and get paid for it.
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2007
unfortunately, power engineering is VERY capital intensive . also, you are unlikely to see immediate returns on investment.
even worse, thanks to the incompetents at PHCN, there are no concise records of the precise power requirments of nigeria. no one knows how many MW are required to run this country.
its funny tho,
while we embtrace the darkness and heat.
uncle sege gives away power to our 'less privileged 'neigbours!
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Seun(m): 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2007
Small scale power generation not that expensive if the government doesn't stand in one's way.

All you need is a gas or diesel generator, some wires, and pay-as-you-go meters, and your street will have power.

If we power one street at a time, then before we know it there will be power everywhere. That's my dream.
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 19, 2007
not really,
you see it comes to economics of scal.it really is not cost effective to power streets with small gas or diesel generators.
take gas generators, that would require a gas pipeline network .like in yankee. and am scared of that cause we don't have a sewer system in naija. (remember the fog in ikeja last year).

if you tally the operating costs of several small units against a centralised unit you'll see what i mean. think of this-you want redundancy, right?thats why base ststions have a duty and backup gen, and 2weeks plus diesel supply. so in your close, you would have to carve out a niche for two generators, a diesel tank, and then worry about environmental pollution(diesel spills, air pollution, noise pollution)!

there is always a possibilioty of a failure or breakdown.in a centralised power plant, with say 12 turbines, two can serve as backups.

and that still doesn't include the logistics of procuring diesel.
don't mind me, am not yet quite up to that entreprenurial thinking (we can doanything we put our minds to!). still thinking like a manager, (boss, these are the issues!)
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by dblock(m): 8:48am On Mar 19, 2007
That's not the way to go Seun undecided

I'd rather live in darkness than in an environment with so many generators

*For on thing the fumes, are very unhealthy
*We all know how that affects the environment
*The noise might be somewhat unbearable
*It would be an inefficient way to power up the naija economy
*Nigeria would be ridiculed by International media
*There are a couple more things

I think a better initiative that would have a huge effect on power production will be large scale solar and small hydro projects. Every house over an area of around 100Km2 can be hooked up with Solar panels, these have the latest solar technology that will ensure that the cells are charged so there is 24 hours electricity and the panels can also heat water.
The coverage can then be expanded over time until most towns and villages are covered.

Small Hydro Projects can be embarked upon, these will have very paramount effects of power generation. A decent production capacity of 20,000 megawatts of electricity can ne achieved. Small Hydros are smaller, cheaper bu produce more electricity than regular Hydro dams. The electricity produced can then be properly distributed with state of the art underground cables to homes and offices all over the country.

These projects will be owned and managed by a designated private companies that will have a system with;
*Power Metres
*The tariff will be adjusted based on the quality of service(Daily)
*The underground cables will be protected by lock wire systems that will shock vandals to bits.
*The service will overall be very efficient, and cheap compared to electricity produced for the national Grid

What do you think?
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by adechuks(m): 9:38am On Mar 19, 2007
I once saw a documentary where some houses in Japan have solar panels as their roofing sheets.

These houese 'trap' enough power for their consumption, store this power, and the excess is SOLD to the power utilities (like NEPA) over the NEPA lines that go their houses. I was completely shocked that one could actually give NEPA a bill for the power you supplied them, and is that not cool wink

i can imagine that this kind of solar solution will be expensive, but imagining that it is expensive does not stop one from finding out how it can be done cheaply.
Re: What Can We Do To Solve Nigeria's Power {electricity} Problems ? by nikinana: 10:25am On Apr 12, 2007
Our company gives power to corporate organisation at $0.00 extra cost fron solar with 3 years warranty.all these and much more if you call 08035499339 or 08054570080(OLA).
spread the good news.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Wap Site.i Cant Log-in / Romance Picture Thread 2011 / How Do Society And Family Influence Our Career Choices As Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.