Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,203 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? (1240 Views)

From An Atheist To A Strong Believer - How I Met God... / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 13, 2018
Now considering the way some Christians here on nairaland speak about atheists you would think that they have had several personal encounters with atheists which went down badly. In Nigeria there are only a few atheists and most of them do not like to reveal their religious belief to others for obvious reasons,so it is usually difficult to spot an atheist in this country,however certain guys here on nairaland even without meeting or knowing any atheist in person have concluded that all atheists are vile,pathetic and immoral people.
So to examine this claim I would like anyone especially a religious person who has met or is personally close to any atheist to come forward and frankly tell us what his/her experiences has been.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Skyfornia(m): 2:12pm On Apr 13, 2018
Only online...fear no go let them sample themselves in real life. Especially Nigerians selfacclaimed atheists, na from that day him papa and mama go abandon him, then too much hunger will reset his brain.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by QueenSuccubus(f): 2:23pm On Apr 13, 2018
Skyfornia:
Only online...fear no go let them sample themselves in real life. Especially Nigerians selfacclaimed atheists, na from that day him papa and mama go abandon him, then too much hunger will reset his brain.

cheesy

E bi like Nigerians like packaging sha especially here ON NL.. cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 13, 2018
Skyfornia:
you know I kinda like pple sticking to the topic of the thread,what I am asking of is people who know atheists personally to share their experiences with them,if you want to ridicule atheists feel free to create your own thread,don't digress from the topic
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by hopefulLandlord: 2:29pm On Apr 13, 2018
Skyfornia:

Do you know any atheist in real life or not?

If yes, tell us about him/her

If no, let people who know atheists in real life talk and you listen
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by OtemAtum: 2:31pm On Apr 13, 2018
There is a friend of mine who recently began to call himself an atheist. That's the only atheist I have ever met offline. He usually argues with the christians and muslims.
As a knower of God Almighty, the creator of Yahweh and Allah, I always share my knowledge with him and our friendship is waxing stronger day by day, but we don't impose anything upon ourselves.
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 13, 2018
OtemAtum:
There is a friend of mine who recently began to call himself an atheist. That's the only atheist I have ever met offline. He usually argues with the christians and muslims.
As a knower of God Almighty, the creator of Yahweh and Allah, I always share my knowledge with him and our friendship is waxing stronger day by day, but we don't impose anything upon ourselves.
cool
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by OtemAtum: 2:48pm On Apr 13, 2018
darkchild64:

cool
I know someone who doesn't care about religion, atheism or anything along that direction. He's just living his life as good as possible. What category can we classify such person?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 13, 2018
OtemAtum:
I know someone who doesn't care about religion, atheism or anything along that direction. He's just living his life as good as possible. What category can we classify such person?
an irreligious person I guess
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Skyfornia(m): 2:56pm On Apr 13, 2018
QueenSuccubus:

cheesy

Queen Succubus graced religious forum today. Jah be praised!
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by OtemAtum: 2:58pm On Apr 13, 2018
darkchild64:

an irreligious person I guess
okay, for irreligious and unconcerned people who denied the bible or quran and stopped at that, I know two of them.
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Skyfornia(m): 2:59pm On Apr 13, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Do you know any atheist in real life or not?

If yes, tell us about him/her

If no, let people who know atheists in real life talk and you listen

Listen abi read/watch? Na ear you take dey read online. Bros you need to read again, no real life atheist in nigeria. Na online all of them dey practice their belief.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:05pm On Apr 13, 2018
darkchild64:
Now considering the way some Christians here on nairaland speak about atheists you would think that they have had several personal encounters with atheists which went down badly. In Nigeria there are only a few atheists and most of them do not like to reveal their religious belief to others for obvious reasons,so it is usually difficult to spot an atheist in this country,however certain guys here on nairaland even without meeting or knowing any atheist in person have concluded that all atheists are vile,pathetic and immoral people.
So to examine this claim I would like anyone especially a religious person who has met or is personally close to any atheist to come forward and frankly tell us what his/her experiences has been.

NOT EVERYONE YOU FIND IN CHURCH IS A CHRISTIAN. SOME GO THERE FOR JUST APPEARANCE SAKE, AND TO PLEASE THE EYES OF THE PEOPLE WHO CARE.

I BELIEVE THAT IN SOME GATHERINGS OF RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, THERE ARE MANY IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE IN THEIR MIDST. POSSIBLY EVEN MORE COMPARED TO THE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE BECAUSE.. PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP.

THERE ARE ONLY A FEW ATHEISTS BECAUSE OF WHAT THE CONCEPT OF ATHEISM IS ABOUT.
SOME PEOPLE CLAIM TO BE IRRELIGIOUS BUT BELIEVE IN SOMETHING SUPREME.
SOME DO NOT DISBELIEVE IN GOD BUT ARE SKEPTICAL ABOUT WHICH IS THE RIGHT ONE.
SOME BELIEVE AND PRAY TO A GOD DIFFERENT FROM THE BIBLE OR KORAN GOD.

A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE BEGINNING TO SEE THE SPADE FOR WHAT IT TRULY IS, AND A LOT MORE WILL JOIN.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 13, 2018
Skyfornia:

Listen abi read/watch? Na ear you take dey read online. Bros you need to read again, no real life atheist in nigeria. Na online all of them dey practice their belief.
okay,you can think whatever you like

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:08pm On Apr 13, 2018
Skyfornia:

IGNORANCE CAN BE VERY DEADLY.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by mabea: 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2018
Speak for yourself biko. It's only God who is omnipresent. I have met quite a number of them. Yes the first time i was astonished and felt the person was delusional but when i started seeing them here then i could understand better.

Met one last year during evangelism, never seen such an unfriendly fellow all my life.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by mabea: 5:42pm On Apr 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

NOT EVERYONE YOU FIND IN CHURCH IS A CHRISTIAN. SOME GO THERE FOR JUST APPEARANCE SAKE, AND TO PLEASE THE EYES OF THE PEOPLE WHO CARE.

I BELIEVE THAT IN SOME GATHERINGS OF RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, THERE ARE MANY IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE IN THEIR MIDST. POSSIBLY EVEN MORE COMPARED TO THE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE BECAUSE.. PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP.

A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE BEGINNING TO SEE THE SPADE FOR WHAT IT TRULY IS, AND A LOT MORE WILL JOIN.
Waking up from what exactly?
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 13, 2018
mabea:
Speak for yourself biko. It's only God who is omnipresent. I have met quite a number of them. Yes the first time i was astonished and felt the person was delusional but when i started seeing them here then i could understand better.

Met one last year during evangelism, never seen such an unfriendly fellow all my life.
so what is the judgment you can make concerning the atheists you met so far
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by mabea: 7:38pm On Apr 13, 2018
darkchild64:

so what is the judgment you can make concerning the atheists you met so far
Well they lead a weired life. There's one in my estate who always see himself some steps ahead of everyone else intellectually. He's not friendly at all. I like the calm nature of the guy though.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by obinna58(m): 7:53pm On Apr 13, 2018
Never met an atheist before except my bro who started realizing things lately

They all religious grin
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 13, 2018
mabea:
Well they lead a weired life. There's one in my estate who always see himself some steps ahead of everyone else intellectually. He's not friendly at all. I like the calm nature of the guy though.
"weird"

can you enumerate ?
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Martin0(m): 9:37pm On Apr 13, 2018
QueenSuccubus:

cheesy

Na wa ooogrin u know the story Nagrin .omo u don dey speak our pidgin oogrin
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Emmanystone: 9:39pm On Apr 13, 2018
mabea:

Why do you think he was unfriendly to you?
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by godisgood200: 9:46pm On Apr 13, 2018
obinna58:
Never met an atheist before except my bro who started realizing things lately

They all religious grin
And is your brother still a nornal person now that he has started realzing things?
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by mmsen: 9:52pm On Apr 13, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

There have always been people who attend church or the mosque to fulfill a social obligation and avoid stigma from the ignorant majority.

And if we're being completely honest most xtians have not read the Bible, they don't know what they're claiming. Likewise African Muslims are reading a book in a language that they barely understand - not only is it a foreign language (Arabic) but it's the ancient, outdated version of said language.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by budaatum: 10:01pm On Apr 13, 2018
I've met many atheists, in Nigeria and elsewhere. I once met an Israeli atheist who could not believe a black person like me could be one too as he'd never met one.

I have a friend who has never been out of Nigeria who is an atheist. He works in a bank and refuses to join in with morning prayer with his colleagues at work. He says it was tough when he started there some 15 years ago but not an issue now, and since he's now a boss, "they wouldn't dare", he informs me.

I also have an elderly friend, married to a Church of England vicar, who is an atheist, but supports his wife by driving her to work on Sundays and other days. He keeps his opinions about gods away from his wife, but she knows he is an atheist, as is one of their 2 sons.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by obinna58(m): 11:39pm On Apr 13, 2018
godisgood200:

And is your brother still a nornal person now that he has started realzing things?

Absolutely
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:52am On Apr 14, 2018
mmsen:

There have always been people who attend church or the mosque to fulfill a social obligation and avoid stigma from the ignorant majority.

And if we're being completely honest most xtians have not read the Bible, they don't know what they're claiming. Likewise African Muslims are reading a book in a language that they barely understand - not only is it a foreign language (Arabic) but it's the ancient, outdated version of said language.

SUMMARY:

"What is incredible about the Bible is not its divine authorship; it’s that such a concoction of contradictory nonsense could be believed by anyone to have been written by an omniscient god. To do so, one would first have to not read the book, which is the practice of most Christians; or, if one does read it, dump in the trash can one’s rational intelligence — to become a fool for god, in other words.

To be an atheist, one need only be able to laugh when such obvious nonsense is offered as being “divine” truth."

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by OtemAtum: 9:35am On Apr 14, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

SUMMARY:

"What is incredible about the Bible is not its divine authorship; it’s that such a concoction of contradictory nonsense could be believed by anyone to have been written by an omniscient god. To do so, one would first have to not read the book, which is the practice of most Christians; or, if one does read it, dump in the trash can one’s rational intelligence — to become a fool for god, in other words.

To be an atheist, one need only be able to laugh when such obvious nonsense is offered as being “divine” truth."
Now you have dropped your capslock. Ayaf catch u D
At d bible, I feel like reading it whenever I want to catch the kind of fun Emmanuela and Mr. Bean can't offer.
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by trapQ: 11:54am On Apr 14, 2018
Yes I met a very stupid in my house about 2 months ago. He was my flatmate. I got to know based on his views on religion. He began by insulting Jesus and Christians even nobody was in an argument with him.
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2018
trapQ:
Yes I met a very stupid in my house about 2 months ago. He was my flatmate. I got to know based on his views on religion. He began by insulting Jesus and Christians even nobody was in an argument with him.
normally whenever atheists talk about religion they end up sounding offensive to believers so let's forget about religious arguments, I am asking about his lifestyle generally,does he do anything that violates human rights or the Nigerian constitution
Re: Have You Ever Met An Atheist Before ? by trapQ: 6:44pm On Apr 14, 2018
He did not just sound offensive. He was very very offensive and aggressive towards us believers and rained insults on us and Jesus and the Bible and everything else concerning Christianity.

So by your first sentence, are you purporting that atheists generally are jerks who derive pleasure in bashing religion and it's adherents?

Well the dude has a lifestyle that is a complete turn off for every sensible person. He threatened to beat up a lady in my presence, he is too aggressive and likes to win every argument by making sure his voice is the loudest. The good side of him though is that he is very neat and hardworking.
darkchild64:

normally whenever atheists talk about religion they end up sounding offensive to believers so let's forget about religious arguments, I am asking about his lifestyle generally,does he do anything that violates human rights or the Nigerian constitution

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Incubator / Trumpet In Heaven Stolen By A Nigerian – Prophet Bushiri / BBC Video Of Dibia Rainmaker Creating Rainfall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.