Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,611 members, 7,823,658 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays (20063 Views)

Nigeria Airways 18 Years After It Packed Up (Pictures, Video) / Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Nigeria Airways Begins Operations, December 2018 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by itsandi(m): 5:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
cry
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by samwash(m): 5:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
The Nigeria Airways can still b revamp if only the Nigeria government are serious abt that sector & give it out to a body for proper & effective management.
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by SpaceAngel: 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2018
I keep for this country. Others are moving from bad to good while we are moving from good to bad.
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by dudebuck: 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
God Bless Nigeria
Long live Nigeria
#Togetherwestand
story
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by tochyano2: 5:49pm On Apr 15, 2018
shocked
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Btruth: 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
I think it is well.
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by laudate: 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2018
daewoorazer:
A Nigeria Airways ticket...

A one-way economy class ticket in the year 1990. Its cost was NGN3400

Feeling Nostalgic?

My uncle told me that Lagos- Benin one-way ticket on Nigeria Airways in 1991, was just 600 naira.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by samwash(m): 5:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
davodyguy:
I feel like crying for my country.
Who cursed Nigeria with bad leaders?

You guys may not believe this, but the people that can fix Nigeria are
Bola Tinubu
Fashola
Ambode
Donald Duke

Forget about the rest.

The only reason I'm including Duke is cause of TBR

Is this list you were able to come out with?
or these are d ppl you are familiar with ?
Anyway the old & expired politician will not want things to work well for our new generation & they still travel out of the country & see things working in other countries, while can't dey replicate it there for it to work.
ITS WELL NIGERIA.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by MrHighSea: 5:58pm On Apr 15, 2018
davodyguy:
I feel like crying for my country.
Who cursed Nigeria with bad leaders?

You guys may not believe this, but the people that can fix Nigeria are
Bola Tinubu
Fashola
Ambode
Donald Duke

Forget about the rest.

The only reason I'm including Duke is cause of TBR
Munching on "tatachi" inside a sandcrete building capped with brown roof won't help u.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by sirgalahad26(m): 5:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
i could remember vividly how i used to admire the national carrier anytime i come across nigeria airways' crafts in my primary school textbook...fast forward to present day...
just climb dat ikeja along pedestrian bridge, look into the direction of the airport, u're sure to find one of the crafts rotting away like the one pictured above!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Notatribalist(m): 6:02pm On Apr 15, 2018
Mrokaykay:
Ethiopian Airlines
Kenyan Airways
Ghana Airways
South Africa Airlines
Still vibrant
Ghana airways ceased operations 1 year after Nigeria airways ceased..
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Arinze86(m): 6:07pm On Apr 15, 2018
Other countries buys spare parts from our grounded own

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Arinze86(m): 6:08pm On Apr 15, 2018
U see

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Arinze86(m): 6:10pm On Apr 15, 2018
More

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by malware: 6:16pm On Apr 15, 2018
Which Nigeria Airways?

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 15, 2018
I just hope Nigeria herself won't eventually be sold off as scrap.

Virtually all African countries have their very own carriers except the GIANT of Africa. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Konquest: 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2018
Paperwhite:
The airline took a nosedive for its final extinct in 1984-85 when Buhari became HOS.Its fleet was badly depleted. Meanwhile other neighbouring African country airlines as outlined by the above fella are still vibrant.
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
This is false...it was during the Babangida
era not Buhari. I flew Nigeria Airways from
the 1970s and I know this fact. IBB's corrupt
system right to the Abacha era ruined Nigeria
Airways, until 2003 when OBJ decided to
liquidate the airline to replace with
Virgin Nigeria.

Aircraft maintainance that were supposed
to be carried out could not be done because
of the devaluation of the Nigerian national
currency... and the economy was not a
productive economy... but depended mainly
on income from the export of a low value
commodity called crude oil. The crude oil
too could have been refined locally for export
like it happened in the Buhari/Idiagbon era, but
the 4 refineries were NOT working optimally
due to lack of TAM or Turn-Around-Maintenance
as a result of the massive corruption of the IBB and Abacha years - "The years of the locusts."

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Speedo17(m): 6:26pm On Apr 15, 2018
Meanwhile Ethiopian Airlines (An African National Carrier) is now a Global Brand with a multiplicity of network and routes making it one of Ethiopia's Chief source of it's national income.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 15, 2018
Paperwhite:
The airline took a nosedive for its final extinct in 1984-85 when Buhari became HOS.Its fleet was badly depleted. Meanwhile other neighbouring African country airlines as outlined by the above fella are still vibrant.

Yet some vagabonds still want to vote him in 2019

They should prepare for $=N800 afterwards angry
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by diamond88: 6:29pm On Apr 15, 2018
Na waoh.... Sowore might revive it
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by laudate: 6:30pm On Apr 15, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by Abbeybailey(m): 6:34pm On Apr 15, 2018
Remember when my Dad and Mum used to bring us to Nigeria through Nigeria Airways in New York . When Nigeria was a functioning country. Hopefully, the leaders will get the country right again.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by laudate: 6:37pm On Apr 15, 2018

All those who ruined Nigeria Airways, only God can forgive you, because posterity will certainly judge you harshly! cry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by akigbemaru: 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2018
daewoorazer:
Nigeria Airways Ltd., widely regarded as Nigeria Airways, was founded in 1958 after the dissolution of the defunct West African Airways Corporation (WAAC).

It started operations on Oct 1, 1958 and struggled through the years until it was shutdown due to poor management, huge debts and corruption in 2003. It’s demise wasn’t in isolation of the IMF (international monetary fund) policies which initiated the beginnings that led to its end.

Let’s look at some pictures which demonstrates NA in its years:

Below was the engineering base of NA

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by diamond88: 6:47pm On Apr 15, 2018
laudate:

All those who ruined Nigeria Airways, only God can forgive you. cry

When abokis and sectional employment of staff from the north full there,why won't it get ruined. Nigeria never employ the best brain but put there family members there. Go to FAAN. u see many abokis occupying many post.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by bigtt76(f): 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
Which kain movie round trip be this? Touring the whole of Europe like say dem de pick passengers for road grin

daewoorazer:
Culture rich design of the cover of its menu. The cover was proudly inked with the Ivory Mask Benin Carving notwithstanding the tasty and delicious menus listed on it.

Haven’t we lost a great deal of us (Nigeria)?
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by dayleke: 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2018
Gate E-61
MMIA.....

If you know you know.....
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by borie4u(m): 6:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
That was when Nigeria was a country. I once flew to Benin using Nigeria airways in late 80s. Right now the pensioners have not been paid since 2007. Heard their payment was held by minister of finance kemi adeosun. May of the workers have died waiting for their money. Till now they have not been paid nothing. Only God will judge our wicked leaders

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by omhor(f): 6:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
Oh, Nigeria I weep for thee!
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by polinpo: 6:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
Not true ! Billy Eko was second to Capt. Ore.

Capt. Ore was Nigeria's finest. He was the captain of Nigeria's boeing 747 to New York. Capt. Billy Eko was merely his co-pilot. In fact, Billy Eko tried to implicate Capt. Ore in his hard drug runs by giving him one of his bags to hold and having Capt. Ore's finger print on the bag. but luckily, Ore was acquitted though he was later dismissed by the Nigerian Airways.

Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Great post!... It brings back memories for
me flying onboard my first Nigeria Airways
aircraft in the 1970s through to the 1990s.
From the Fokker-27, DC-10, Airbus A-310...
and more!

Captain John Billy-Eko is late now, but he
was one of the iconic Nigeria Airways pilots
who flew the Boeing 747. He flew the only
operational Nigeria Airways Boeing 747
to Newyork in 1987 and got arrested for
smuggling hard drugs at the JFK Airport.
Captain J. Billy-Eko was originally a
Ghanaian. The media was abuzz in 1987
with stories about him and his picture of his
car that was parked at the MMIA car park was
published on the front page of some major
newspapers.

Captain Billy-Eko was one of the best
Boeing 747 pilots on earth.

"Nigeria Airways... We'll Take You There...!"

Nigeria Airways... Truly Iconic! grin
Re: Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays by UnimkeAk(m): 7:03pm On Apr 15, 2018
daewoorazer:
A Nigeria Airways ticket...

A one-way economy class ticket in the year 1990. Its cost was NGN3400

Feeling Nostalgic?

How many nigerians could afford 3400 naira in 1990

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / All Flights across The US Grounded Due To Computer Outage / Truck Containing Gas Cylinders Crashes In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.