Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,021 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? (9603 Views)

15 Weird Laws Around The World / Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) / is it proper to get pregnant at the age of 18? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by labiyemmy(m): 9:31pm On Sep 07, 2007
its a Yoruba thing.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ssRhino: 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2007
Why would i wanna call in-laws sisters or brothers, according to english language where we borrow that word bro and sis from, they dont fall into that category, if they are older than me, i might called them Mr. duh or Ms. Duh, that is the best i could do, but if i wanna do the yoruba english, i could called them, uncle or madam, and that one sef sounds kinda somehow, this is why all these marriage thing get as e be jare, i beg i don waka.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ow11(m): 11:39pm On Sep 07, 2007
call them by their names SIMPLE!
Mr. X, Mrs. Y and so on
if they hate it then they can go and get run over by a car
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ssRhino: 11:48pm On Sep 07, 2007
ow11, u even worse than me, i would have told them to go and jump the train.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by bluesky4(f): 1:25am On Sep 09, 2007
well i call my related brothers and sisters by their first names, so why should i call my in-laws 'brother' 'sister', its not part of my culture so i won't change to please the mother in law.

lol, what i funny thing to ask.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by soulpatrol(f): 4:35am On Sep 09, 2007
you know some cultures, especially yoruba, like to over-do things. i think it's partly to frustrate the person.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by laudate: 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2007
soulpatrol:

you know some cultures, especially yoruba, like to over-do things. i think it's partly to frustrate the person.

Really? In what way pls? grin
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by Bolarge(m): 1:52pm On Sep 10, 2007
In as much as I'm indifferent to such, my advice to her would be that she'd better just do it.
Trust me she has practically nothing to lose by doing it compared to the whirlwind she'll incur if she doesn't.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ssRhino: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2007
sometimes, depends on how close you are to the in-laws, how nice they are to you.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 10, 2007
I call my inlaws by their names, regardless.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by laudate: 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2007
Question: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'?

It may not be proper, but in certain cases where the family is a die-hard conservative one, it may be expedient. It costs nothing, and saves you from undue, unecessary stress or embarrasment.

It could also buy you some amount of goodwill, when it comes to blending in with the family of your spouse.

I mean, if your spouse has always referred to their older sibling as 'brother lagbaja' or 'sista tamedu' as the case may be, right from the start when you guys were dating, and you know those chaps are older than you are, why would you just slam their names down, when you didn't meet that tradition in their family from day one? Why upset the apple cart? undecided

Just my 0.20 cents.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ssRhino: 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2007
It is proper, else, i will call them
Papa Negro
Mama negro
Lady negro
Bobo Negro and lil' negros
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by soulpatrol(f): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2007
the negro family ehn? rhino, u sef. grin
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by ssRhino: 11:29pm On Sep 10, 2007
soulpatrol, na true now, if what i call them all is damn important, they call could all run wild bearing Negros
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by giftbrosy(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2007
i love ur topic and i want u s to be friend pls call me on+2347030120126 or mailmegiftbrosy@yahoo.co.uk wink
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by atutupoyo(f): 10:23pm On Sep 17, 2007
For peace to reign call them what ever they want it doesn't make you any lesser and them any better.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by Outstrip(f): 12:39am On Jul 16, 2008
What nonsense. I don't even call my husband's older siblings brother or sister except the two oldest who are my parents age. The rest get the first name when Iam in a good mood and when I am pissed enough they should be happy to get a "hey you" or "dis boy"
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by lucabrasi(m): 1:14am On Jul 16, 2008
i think its a culture thing but i must admit its really embarassing when a woman older than me with enuff years calls me brother this,to be honest most of them are hypocritical with the whole brother thing as well
brother something ori yin ko pe o grin(brother somethn your head is not correct o)
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by maryswags: 6:12pm On May 31, 2012
most yorubas actually have a promblem that is undefined,honestlt! i dated my husband for bout 6 years, and thought his family was free from all dis rubbish because they are educated, but no nooo! the moment we got married, they started bringing all sorts of rubbish rules for their stupid heads to obey, my husband is such a nice dude, but i honestly regret he comes from such a family, i always wish i didnt marry him because of this, its even worse off for me because im not yoruba....i advice you young ladies out there, NEVER marry a yoruba man ( i dont know if other tribes are like that)if youre not yoruba, u cant understand unless you get into it, its even worse off if d guy is a mummys boy and has a family that pretends 2 b nice whenever he is around
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by rukkierae(f): 11:15am On Aug 11, 2012
that is how they do in yorubaland and if u try to prove them wrong they will see u as a disrespectful wife.that if u are not strong enough they will make life miserable for u.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by MrsChima(f): 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2012
I always calls my siblings' spouses...my siblings and the same thing goes for my husband's siblings.

I have never been called a "sister in-law" ...always baby sister.

Who created this "in-law" shit anyways
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yeah i never like that part of yoruba culture. I remember wondering when i was growing up why my mother called my aunties "aunty-----" and my uncles "uncle ------" when they were 2 or more years younger than her. Its a thing to call the older siblings that, but the younger siblings?? If i should get married anytime soon, i had just stick to calling my husband youngest siblings sisi------ or brother ------- or just call them by their names, after all i am older than them.
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by anonymous6(f): 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Yeah i never like that part of yoruba culture. I remember wondering when i was growing up why my mother called my aunties "aunty-----" and my uncles "uncle ------" when they were 2 or more years younger than her. Its a thing to call the older siblings that, but the younger siblings?? If i should get married anytime soon, i had just stick to calling my husband youngest siblings sisi------ or brother ------- or just call them by their names, after all i am older than them.

I know what you mean and agree, My mom told me the samething as well, it is definitely a Yoruba thing
Re: Is It Proper To Call Your In-Laws 'Brother', 'Sister'? by Shable: 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2015
OmoEko1:
This are my decisions when i get marry.

I will call my IN Laws whatever names i want to

Am not calling someone younger than me aunty or uncle.

If they don't like what i call them,then i will advice them to Bleep off. angry angry angry

then be prepared for the worst gang up ever,whuch will certainly affect your marriage like it did mine. LOLs

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Olubadan From 1820 / Beware The Children Of Slave Owners!horn Of Africans (ethios,somalis,eris, Djis) / The Tribal Marks Of The Yoruba People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.