Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,408 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory (961 Views)

Maize Pyramid That Is Being Built In Kaduna / Sai Baba - Lauretta Onochie Shouts As She Shows Off Huge Rice Pyramid (video) / PMB Set To Unveil Africa's Largest Rice Pyramid In Abuja Tomorrow (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory by daewoorazer(m): 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proponents of oil discovery would argue oil is a blessing in all its form, while I may agree partially, I’d say it’s more of a disaster than the former.

Don’t mind me, you are probably thinking how I can write on a topic as old as this, a toddler for that matter but the fact remains-history is the bridge connecting the past to the present.

Let’s reason products made from groundnuts: groundnut oil, nut butter, fertilizer, snacks et al. As a major exporter of groundnut, are we still gonna exchange $1 for N360?

Groundnut pyramid has existed as way back as 1919 when Alhassan Dantata migrated to Kano on business grounds. He grew groundnut in large quantities and arranged them in pyramids in preparation for export(s). Nigeria is blessed with soil suitable for growing groundnut and as such was grown in large quantities across the Nothern empires: Dawakin Kudu, Malam Madori, Kofar Mazugal etc.

Oil discovery came into light and the attention of government drew totally from agriculture to oil. Business moguls who should be encouraged were badly abandoned and that saw the end of the era of the groundnut pyramids.

Let’s see some pics below:
Workers working on a pyramid in Kano.

Re: Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory by daewoorazer(m): 12:20pm On Apr 19, 2018
In 2014, exporting just fresh vegetables, Netherlands made a revenue of €7billion, one-quarter of Nigeria’s total oil yearly revenue.

In the picture below, shows we exported and fed WWII British soldiers with our export: groundnut. Imagine how much we’d be making in revenues had it been our leaders hasn’t collapsed the foundation of agriculture.

Re: Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory by daewoorazer(m): 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2018
Egypt? No! Kano was regarded as the economic hub of W. Africa.

Re: Groundnut Pyramid: A Lost Glory by daewoorazer(m): 12:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
This is what Wikipedia has to say:

Painful?

Lalasticlala
Mynd44

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Lettuce Farming In Nigeria / Dry Yellow Maize For Sale / Concrete Fish Pond (ilorin) Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.