Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,531 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? (1633 Views)

My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / Federal University Of Petroleum Resources, Effurun / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 19, 2018
Good evening Nairalanders, how do you do?

I sincerely do need your advice on this issue most especially to those working in the oil and gas sector (no pun intended).

I'm a 400L student of the department of Petroleum Engineering (nomenclature of institution withheld) and I'll be going on Industrial Training soon. Initially before gaining admission into college, I had plans on what to do after school but these days I am a bit skeptical about the plans I had laid down.

It's likely I graduate with a second class upper honours and I've pondering a while on what I can do to make myself 'employable' on my graduation from the university. Right now, going for my Msc immediately after the compulsory service year is a bit not in my option for now. The country's unemployment rate is nothing to write home about and the government is currently not helping matters as regards youth empowerment. Back in school, all most all my departmental lecturers (about over 70% of them are PhD holders) are folks who were rejected by oil companies and had to find a means of livelihood via lecturing (in a very frustrating manner) and occasionally rub it on our faces on how almost impossible it is for us to gain oil company employment after school as Petroleum Engineers.

I really do need a source of income after school and depending on relatives is a super bad idea.

I do need your advice on things I could do to make myself employable or businesses I could engage in (most preferably related to my field of study) on graduating from the university.

Modified:

Mods, kindly move this to the front page.
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Emasel(m): 1:07am On Apr 20, 2018
My advise for you is to keep an open mind just in case you are not able to secure oil and gas job after graduation. Most of the Petroleum Engineers I know in my set are not practising, in fact 80% of them are in banks.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 20, 2018
Emasel:
My advise for you is to keep an open mind just in case you are not able to secure oil and gas job after graduation. Most of the Petroleum Engineers I know in my set are not practising, in fact 80% of them are in banks.

Thanks a lot bro, I really do appreciate it.
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nukilia: 4:32am On Apr 20, 2018
You will definitely get a job, don't be scared about what the future holds. Connect with the right people and you will forever be grateful you studied the right course. Network....Networth
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Emasel(m): 6:07am On Apr 20, 2018
IAmHollumix:

Thanks a lot bro, I really do appreciate it.

You're welcome. Just ensure you maintain your good grades, I see you're on course to make a 2.1, keep it up.
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by ITbomb(m): 7:12am On Apr 20, 2018
I got bad news for you

Mobil prefers Geoscientists to Petroleum engineers, others even prefers Mechanical

Petroleum engineering is one of the courses you can't finish and get equipment to practice on your own

I have people who earn some money as consultants to oil servicing firms especially those in exploration and reservoir management.

All they do is to analyze PVT data for the lazy ass in the office and get paid.

Apart from that, if you are unfortunate to get into an oil company,
1. Get higher degree and pray for lecturing job (BTW, that is scarce as most schools don't even do the course)
2. Get a ICT skills and certifications and switch or prepare yourself for a bank job
3. Join Politics
4. Get your visa and leave this shithole

Outside of these, your degree will be a waste

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 20, 2018
Nukilia:
You will definitely get a job, don't be scared about what the future holds. Connect with the right people and you will forever be grateful you studied the right course. Network....Networth

This helps a lot, many thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 20, 2018
ITbomb:
I got bad news for you

Mobil prefers Geoscientists to Petroleum engineers, others even prefers Mechanical

Petroleum engineering is one of the courses you can't finish and get equipment to practice on your own

I have people who earn some money as consultants to oil servicing firms especially those in exploration and reservoir management.

1. Get higher degree and pray for lecturing job (BTW, that is scarce as most schools don't even do the course)
2. Get a ICT skills and certifications and switch or prepare yourself for a bank job
3. Join Politics

Noted.

Many thanks Sir.
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by samisj4real(m): 8:59am On Apr 20, 2018
My brother is also a petroleum engineering student @UI & his positive why are you not?

Make the right connect while in school...
Prayer is key though
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by americanson: 1:50pm On Apr 20, 2018
ITbomb:
I got bad news for you

3. Join Politics

You have given the OP best advice. lol I was once crazy about being a Petroleum Engineer until reality hit me hard. Been hustly off the street after NYSC and still at it. Some of my friends are still hooked on the "pipe dream" but I ain't.

How I turned myself into this kind of person still marvels me... because I was a book worm at one time in my life, wanting to solve all the mathematical questions that I find but like they say, nobody knows tomorrow.

That industry is so forked... na so so courses upon courses people dey do, spending 270k and above for one course or the other.
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by JARUSHUB: 2:55pm On Apr 20, 2018
IAmHollumix:
Good evening Nairalanders, how do you do?

I sincerely do need your advice on this issue most especially to those working in the oil and gas sector (no pun intended).

I'm a 400L student of the department of Petroleum Engineering (nomenclature of institution withheld) and I'll be going on Industrial Training soon. Initially before gaining admission into college, I had plans on what to do after school but these days I am a bit skeptical about the plans I had laid down.

It's likely I graduate with a second class upper honours and I've pondering a while on what I can do to make myself 'employable' on my graduation from the university. Right now, going for my Msc immediately after the compulsory service year is a bit not in my option for now. The country's unemployment rate is nothing to write home about and the government is currently not helping matters as regards youth empowerment. Back in school, all most all my departmental lecturers (about over 70% of them are PhD holders) are folks who were rejected by oil companies and had to find a means of livelihood via lecturing (in a very frustrating manner) and occasionally rub it on our faces on how almost impossible it is for us to gain oil company employment after school as Petroleum Engineers.

I really do need a source of income after school and depending on relatives is a super bad idea.
I do need your advice on things I could do to make myself employable or businesses I could engage in (most preferably related to my field of study) on graduating from the university.

Modified:
Mods, kindly move this to the front page.

This:

Courses that fit into the petroleum industry

How to break into the oil and gas industry
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by JARUSHUB: 3:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Trendy247: 6:14pm On Apr 20, 2018
Start doing bunkery grin
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 20, 2018
JARUSHUB:
To aid the discourse:

How to get a job in Shell Nigeria

Petroleum Engineering and the oil and gas industry

How to get into the Nigerian oil and gas industry

Questions and Answers on the oil and gas industry in Nigeria

A 2.2 degree and the oil and gas industry

I didn't specifically get the answer that I was looking for, but I met pretty interesting and impact oriented articles on your website.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by americanson: 11:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
IAmHollumix:

I didn't specifically get the answer that I was looking for, but I met pretty interesting and impact oriented articles on your website.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!
Take my advice... get real skills that you can use to earn money even without a job from your supposed dream. Welding is one of them, Pipe fitting is another, underwater welding is another area, get more technical skills!
Re: What Can I Do After School As A Graduate Of Petroleum Engineering? by Nobody: 12:39am On Apr 21, 2018
americanson:
Take my advice... get real skills that you can use to earn money even without a job from your supposed dream. Welding is one of them, Pipe fitting is another, underwater welding is another area, get more technical skills!

Noted.

I'll pay attention to this, many thanks bro.

(1) (Reply)

Teach For Nigeria Online Test / Vacancies / JOB VACANCY: Canada Desperately Looking To Fill 430,000 Slots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.