Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,689 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models (8232 Views)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres / Budget Tyres Are Not Safe For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by 043xclusive: 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2018
Often, you will hear about the thickness of tyres when it has to do with sports cars or off road vehicles. There are so many benefits for these cars to have thicker tyres on roads or other terrains. It is also beneficial to have these types of tyres on your standard 1.4L car.

Some drivers prefer the appearance or aesthetics of the thickness whereas other drivers are more into the practicality when it comes to the driving experience. These are the pros and cons of having thick tyres opposed to the standard versions.

The cons

1. You will have to consider the profile of the tyres so that speed and acceleration is not affected.

2. Unfortunately, not all cars are equipped with a large enough wheel well to accommodate such broader wheels.

3. Fuel consumption will be slightly higher due to the weight and increased torque being used overall.

4. These tyres do tend to be more expensive because of the reinforced material used to manufacture the product.

The Pros

1. Rainy weather will not be as much of a problem because more rubber is in contact with the road.

2. The thickness can distribute the weight better over a larger area. You will find it easier and safer to take corners at a higher speed.

3. Rolling on an incline is slightly decreased because the tyres have more grips moulded in the tread. This could increase the lifespan of the clutch because less clutch control will be needed

4. Wear will also be distributed evenly as the heat will also be distributed evenly. When wear is uneven, problems such as unbalanced and unaligned wheels arise. With time, the wheels could become extremely damaged and would need to undergo expensive repairs.

5. Better grip can also help you to take corners at a higher speed and you will be able to experience a smoother drive at high speeds without as much vibration.

NOTE: When changing the tyres of your car, it is important to test the compatibility. Some cars were not made to be modified to such an extent as modifications could actually influence the overall driving experience in either a positive or negative way. It is to your discretion whether you make changes to your car in terms of the wheels and tyres.

SOURCE http://autoupdates247.com/2018/04/20/reasons-why-thick-tyres-are-better-than-the-standard-models/

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by 043xclusive: 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2018
FTC HATERS WILL BE LIKE ......

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Somatic(m): 7:06am On Apr 21, 2018
With just one comment by OP this got to front page?
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by kolawoleibukun: 7:08am On Apr 21, 2018
check your tyres before you get on the road oh.

It is not about the thickness of the tyres. tyres have specific purposes owing to the road and climatic condition. When it snows you need some specific tyres. when going for desert rides or when going on a safari etc. I don't think thick vs thin matters much unless you're dealing with snow and the mentioned stuff above.

The tyre pressure also makes the difference. it reduces sidewall flex making for more crispier handling. but if you go too high, the tire will be too stiff and it wont have enough give in it to follow the contours of the road. if the roads are smooth, thats not a problem and you can run max sidewall pressure no problem, but if the roads are very bumpy, youll want to drop the psi down a little bit to make the tire a little bit softer. it will give you smoother ride as well and protect your rims better.

Nigerian roads require specific tyres cos of the bad quality of the roads.

The kind of tyres on Pentecostal pastors and Imams cars are wonderful. If one can go for that grade then they will be able to match the Nigerian roads.

Watch those thieves carefully then you can know what grade fits you.

Those people are milking our economy dry. The reasons why politicians are stealing are to satisfy their religious greed. Even traditionalists steal to buy the requirements for traditional rituals and festivals. All these people are the reasons for accidents on the road and stealing.

No Imam has come out to openly condemn embezzlement of funds or the massacres of innocent souls. Why? Because from behind the scene they are the master planners.

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Collins0609(m): 7:13am On Apr 21, 2018
FTC on your page

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Lordave: 7:13am On Apr 21, 2018
You should also give us reasons why tire-slippers are better than fancy leather slippers if you know what I mean wink

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by HENRY940: 7:15am On Apr 21, 2018
I thought he was talking women
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by femeritus: 7:15am On Apr 21, 2018
The specified tyre spec for my car is 195/65 R15 but I'm thinking of changing to 205/65 R15. Will this have any significant impact on my car? Plus can someone explain the difference between 195 and 205.
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 21, 2018
043xclusive:
Often, you will hear about the thickness of tyres when it has to do with sports cars or off road vehicles. There are so many benefits for these cars to have thicker tyres on roads or other terrains. It is also beneficial to have these types of tyres on your standard 1.4L car.

Some drivers prefer the appearance or aesthetics of the thickness whereas other drivers are more into the practicality when it comes to the driving experience. These are the pros and cons of having thick tyres opposed to the standard versions.

The cons

1. You will have to consider the profile of the tyres so that speed and acceleration is not affected.

2. Unfortunately, not all cars are equipped with a large enough wheel well to accommodate such broader wheels.

3. Fuel consumption will be slightly higher due to the weight and increased torque being used overall.

4. These tyres do tend to be more expensive because of the reinforced material used to manufacture the product.

The Pros

1. Rainy weather will not be as much of a problem because more rubber is in contact with the road.

2. The thickness can distribute the weight better over a larger area. You will find it easier and safer to take corners at a higher speed.

3. Rolling on an incline is slightly decreased because the tyres have more grips moulded in the tread. This could increase the lifespan of the clutch because less clutch control will be needed

4. Wear will also be distributed evenly as the heat will also be distributed evenly. When wear is uneven, problems such as unbalanced and unaligned wheels arise. With time, the wheels could become extremely damaged and would need to undergo expensive repairs.

5. Better grip can also help you to take corners at a higher speed and you will be able to experience a smoother drive at high speeds without as much vibration.

NOTE: When changing the tyres of your car, it is important to test the compatibility. Some cars were not made to be modified to such an extent as modifications could actually influence the overall driving experience in either a positive or negative way. It is to your discretion whether you make changes to your car in terms of the wheels and tyres.

SOURCE http://autoupdates247.com/2018/04/20/reasons-why-thick-tyres-are-better-than-the-standard-models/

You wrote, simply, a bunch of hogwash.

I pity any fool that takes anything you posted, especially in the Pros section, to be of worth.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by grafixdon: 8:19am On Apr 21, 2018
femeritus:
The specified tyre spec for my car is 195/65 R15 but I'm thinking of changing to 205/65 R15. Will this have any significant impact on my car? Plus can someone explain the difference between 195 and 205.

Don't try it
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by RZArecta2(m): 8:20am On Apr 21, 2018
They were called standard tyres for a reason

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by aboyaji(m): 8:21am On Apr 21, 2018
femeritus:
205-195 = 10

Difference is 10

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Chpstcks(m): 8:31am On Apr 21, 2018
femeritus:
Before you do this, you need to confirm the clearance between the tyre Andy the underbody. A friend once did this an realized that each time he tries to turn, the tyre touches the body.
However, if you have enough room, there’s nothing wrong with it.

The difference between 195 n 205 is the width
That’s just the distance between the face of the tyre n the inside(width of the thread area in mm or so)

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 21, 2018
grafixdon:

Don't try it
why did you tell him not to try it?always give reasons,this is 2018.My Honda 2012 came with 195/65 R15.......I changed it to 235/55 R17 and it works well and I love the looks

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by vertueptime: 8:39am On Apr 21, 2018
femeritus:

U knw already why waste some else's time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by dljbd1(m): 9:02am On Apr 21, 2018
aboyaji:
285-195 = 10

Difference is 10
How is 285 - 195 = 10 undecided olodo

It's 205 -195 = 10

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by EmmaLege: 9:30am On Apr 21, 2018
Good to know
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by maxiuc(m): 9:52am On Apr 21, 2018
dljbd1:

How is 285 - 195 = 10 undecided olodo

It's 205 -195 = 10
is he also among the lazy youths

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by femeritus: 10:47am On Apr 21, 2018
aboyaji:
205-195 = 10

Difference is 10
Ok
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by femeritus: 10:49am On Apr 21, 2018
Chpstcks:

Before you do this, you need to confirm the clearance between the tyre Andy the underbody. A friend once did this an realized that each time he tries to turn, the tyre touches the body.
However, if you have enough room, there’s nothing wrong with it.

The difference between 195 n 205 is the width
That’s just the distance between the face of the tyre n the inside(width of the thread area in mm or so)

I see, thanks.
Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
must everyone blog? what the op posted can only be considered as an outright blab. thick versus thin tyres kò, fat versus slim rim ní

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 22, 2018
femeritus:

Your smartphone is not limited to Nairaland alone.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

#LazyNigerianYouths sad

(1) (Reply)

28,600 Toyota C-HR Recalled Due To Faulty Electric Brake / HOW GOOD IS LEXUS ES300? / 5 Signs Of Bad Fuel In The Tank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.