Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,141 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers (932 Views)

Nigeria Officially Joins List Of Restricted Countries On Betfair / How To Fund Your Betfair, Bet365 And Williamhill Account. / Help Eke Atta Market Traders Are Dying!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 22, 2018
It’s not easy to explain what I do. The word “trader” is vague enough as it is. People have overheard trainer on more than one occasion. The second question, seeking to clarify what I’ve just said, would bring me to answer: “sports trader”, which would then lead people to reply with another question – “so you are a gambler?”
And then I can start explaining what the differences between the two are. In my opinion the difference is huge. Another option would just be to agree. “Yeah, that’s a gamble, perhaps more calculated than others”. However, I am not happy with that term “gambling” and the prejudice it may come with.
So why is sports trading different than gambling? If you search this topic online you will find out many different ideas and opinions on the difference between the two. It is entirely up to one to decide how he feels about it. For me at least, and for other people who call themselves traders, I think it is safe to say the difference is in the mindset and discipline, the approach to the money and the thought on long term.
The trader uses team statistics (the most powerful tool I have come across for the purpose of trading football), like a stock market trader might use the history of shares, and news/information available to assess movement. This is where I feel I can compare to different career paths people chosen and why sometimes I will get into a discussion with people who fail to see the difference between trading and gambling.
Firstly, in gambling you choose the outcome (team/horse/result) and you wait for it to happen, that is it.
Sports’ trading is a lot more like financial trading. Preparation and hard work can reduce the reliance on luck – that’s why trading is not gambling.
However, financial trading does not appeal to me personally because I feel that as an average person I may not know of things brewing up in companies that may affect the share price. I have no interest in the financial markets. In sports, on the other hand, I feel that I have the understanding on how the game works. I also have a lot of information on how the sports trading markets work. I can see the starting points, the great entry points and the good exit points. The different scenarios are well known to me and well, I know that luck is also needed.
So if luck’s needed, then I am gambler, no? Well this will come down to another point of view about life in general.
Some don’t believe in luck, and that’s fine, you can call it whatever you want.
When comparing trading to an office job for example, which has potential to develop into a more meaningful, better paid position at well-structured company – of course many people would say you will climb up by graft and hard work. You work hard, you impress your superiors and you get promoted to a better job.
I believe that ‘luck’ or whatever people wish to call, is also required for developing inside the most structured of companies. You can work hard and not get the break. It happens to a lot of people around you.
Anything one does that the result is uncertain is inherently risky but When you see how many people are killed in road accidents each year, you could say it's a gamble to get behind the wheel. However, if you're a good driver, drive sensibly, concentrate, be patient, don't get angry by the actions of others, and are not under the influence of alcohol - you have a great chance of avoiding something horrible.Now can you compare that with someone who does the opposite? and between the two who is more likely to have an accident ?.
A gambler bets on the final results of a football match or any event whereas a Trader buys and sell risky by profiting on the movement of odds with an edge over the market.He/She doesn't necessarily need the final outcome of the match or event in order to make profit and a trader is long term profit orientated.
If one considers a more risky career path, owning your own business is a perfect example. This is my own personal background; so I feel a lot more comfortable comparing it to trading.
I was a working in the cooperate world for 6 years. It was hard work and rewarding in many ways as well. And the risks involved in this business are very similar to the risks in trading. There are SO many variables! This would apply to almost any small business, privately owned in a capitalistic environment.
You have a risk reward and when it is analysed the financial rewards from trading can be much higher. The main things being financial investment and attachment, a business requires 100% attention whereas with the trading you can choose when you want to trade.
That last point is huge for me and the main reason I chose a different career path recently.
I am sure this is a topic of discussion to many traders, gamblers, people who are interested in sport and people who are against the whole idea of risking money! These are however my personal opinion and mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who thinks otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by shugamummy: 7:27pm On Apr 22, 2018
How do you fund betfair account and how do you make ur arbitrage
Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 22, 2018
shugamummy:
How do you fund betfair account and how do you make ur arbitrage
I will write an article on that.
Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by Tonybills(m): 2:11am On Apr 23, 2018
bros i like the fact that you are venturing into arbitrage betting bettingnbut i want to advice you not to do it anyore. have been in the system for years but it is not as profitable as you may think.
those bookmkers doesnt allow abitrage once they discover the barn your accoun with huge profits. besides it equires a lrger capital to fund all those bookmakers and the payout at times needs verification which u mmay not meet up...........let me stop here for now
Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 23, 2018
Tonybills:
bros i like the fact that you are venturing into arbitrage betting bettingnbut i want to advice you not to do it anyore. have been in the system for years but it is not as profitable as you may think.
those bookmkers doesnt allow abitrage once they discover the barn your accoun with huge profits. besides it equires a lrger capital to fund all those bookmakers and the payout at times needs verification which u mmay not meet up...........let me stop here for now
This is not arbitrage betting bro.
Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by zoltan02(m): 10:12am On Apr 23, 2018
How can i withdraw my earnings from betfair to my local account.
Re: Why Betfair Football Traders Are Not Gamblers by tex25: 9:26pm On May 17, 2018
betfairtrader24:
This is not arbitrage betting bro.

Definitely not Arbitraging
Betting exchange, sports trading definitely has it own uniqueness. wink

(1) (Reply)

Best Way To Raise 100m / Get Free Airtime - Recharge Cards / Scam Alert!!!! A Group Of Scammers Posing As Master Fore.x Traders From The Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.