Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,537 members, 7,865,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:13 PM

One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light (861 Views)

Reasons Why You Need To Have A Family Visa Lawyer When Moving To Another Country / Will Your Life Would Have Been Different If You Were Born In Another Country ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light by OdiaI(f): 2:39pm On Apr 24, 2018
Disruption comes with a price, whether very good or very bad. In many cases, the latter is always the case and such kind of disruptions yield the best results. As it is now, it is either the government is afraid of disruption or 'they' are just indifferent to what ever the common man is going through.

I remember when I used to travel to Benin not because I liked it but because I had to be in School. I always wished I could disappear from home and land in Benin without traveling by road. The road was a mess at the time. A journey of 4 hours on average would take 7/8/9 hours because of bad roads.
There was always traffic on the road but then a disruption came, the government decided to fix the roads and that even made matters worse. There were always road diversions, once while in senior secondary school, I was traveling alone to Benin, due to bad roads & hold up, the driver took us through the bushes, far from the express. All that we were seeing were just bushes and trees, it was a very scary experience as even the older passengers in the bus were scared & couldn't hide it. I was very scared but the driver had no bad intentions, he was paying one of the prices for disruption.

On my first trip after the Benin-Ore road was newly reconstructed, I remember the journey that used to take me 6/7/8/9 hours depending on traffic took me 3.30hours. Of course, everyone was happy. But did that come without any sad tales? My Uniform always got very dirty from dusts but after everything, we smiled. Till date, some roads have not been finished in Abeokuta and people are complaining bitterly. The same people complaining are the same people singing the Governor's praise. Abeokuta roads went from single lanes to 2/3/more lanes. The governor even built flyover bridges/overhead bridges/passenger bridges etc. This didn't come easy. It was a very terrible period. There was dust everywhere, people were forced to start wearing masks, some people avoided some routes completely, there was always traffic, every household was disconnected from water supply by the state water corporation because of the constructions going on, it still hasn't been restored. The life of one of the crane handlers working with the contractors was even cut short. He was 21 or so as was circulated. He was handling the crane when he probably went too close and got electrocuted high up. Work stopped temporarily then to respect his memory. The price of Disruption!

When the third mainland bridge was being constructed, some white engineers and locals who were working on the bridge died in the lagoon. Today, every lagosian loves to drive on the bridge. Disruption! Disruption can't and won't always come with ease. Sometimes, big money may be involved.

Lagos generates about 15,000tonnes of thrash daily. But what happens to them? They end up in landfill polluting the environment and causing eyesores. Of recent, Lagos has been very dirty. Even Ikoyi and other highbrow areas aren't left out. But what is the government doing about it?

Isn't it time the Lagos government took a cue from Sweden and Kigali? Both places have different approaches to keeping a clean environment and the methods seem to be working.

I am comparing Lagos state with Sweden, a Country because Lagos has a bigger population than Sweden so it is safe to say Lagos can exist as a Country. In fact, many Countries can come out of Lagos State. The population of Lagos sits at roughly 21 million while that of Sweden is 10 million, half of what is obtainable in Lagos. Lagos is a model state. If Lagos can get it right with properly containing wastes, other states will learn fast.
Lagos has all it takes to generate its own electricity. Kigali is just the capital of Rwanda. Rwanda has still not gotten over the 1994 genocide that shook the very foundation of Rwanda and left the world in shock but barely 24 years later, its capital boasts of being the cleanest in Africa! How did they do it? Are people paying the price of the cleanness? Very well. Are the same people happy? Of course, they should be. Who does not like good thing?

Once, the news of the Nigerian man who turned wastes into building blocks and also built a light generator that uses fuel from wastes was all over the blogosphere. Forums discussed, the buzz was there, but just for a day or two, after that, the story died and the man was never heard of again. Only in Nigeria will such happen. A solution right in our fingertips.

That man ought to be part of a delegation of consultants sent to Sweden and Kigali to learn more on how to turn wastes into reusable forms and save the environment from more harm. I mean, look at Lagos. Those dump sites at Ojota and Igando. They are always smelling, sometimes, even winding up your car windows don't help with the stench that comes from the wastes.

I really hope the government can be more proactive on this course. I understand some projects have been embarked on in the past to help properly manage wastes but nothing have been achieved.

That young man should be found and his knowledge well utilized, he is an asset to the Country.

If the government can raise over 400billion Naira for 4th mainland bridge, it can certainly do for waste management. Whatever disruptions this would need would not exceed MONEY. It would be a welcome idea by the people of Lagos State if the issue of waste can be addressed once and for all.

Imagine a Lagos that generates say 45%-60% of its light from wastes. Just imagine a Lagos without litters of PET bottles and Tetra paks everywhere you go. Imagine a true cleaner Lagos. Won't it be lovely to have Lagos as one of the 5 cleanest States in Africa? A mega City in deed, it would be!

Itesiwaju Eko!
Eko onibaje o!
Long live Lagos!

Re: One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light by patani(m): 9:16am On Apr 25, 2018
story for the gods...Nigerian government officials are only interested in their pocket and their political reputation. Just imagine thesame subject (Waste recycling and Bio-Gas generation) was the initial plan for waste by Fashola. Ambode disrupted the whole thing to introduce the vision-less visionscape(just to score political goal). The whole Lagos is messed up for this...

Nigeria is doomed with these crops of politicians and citizens' mentality....Instead of moving forward, we are just moving back and forth...smh
Re: One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light by OdiaI(f): 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2018
patani:
story for the gods...Nigerian government officials are only interested in their pocket and their political reputation. Just imagine thesame subject (Waste recycling and Bio-Gas generation) was the initial plan for waste by Fashola. Ambode disrupted the whole thing to introduce the vision-less visionscape(just to score political goal). The whole Lagos is messed up for this...

Nigeria is doomed with these crops of politicians and citizens' mentality....Instead of moving forward, we are just moving back and forth...smh
You and I can create a disruption. It may not be immediately but with the right mindset, we can achieve a lot for Nigeria. I believe so much in Nigeria because buried beneath all the corruption and political noise are a crop of fine, exceptional and brilliant young potentials. We have recognized all the problems, good! Now that we are half way into the solutions, how do you come in? How can I come in?

Nigeria is greater than we see, you know?
Re: One Country's Thrash Is Another Country's Light by patani(m): 5:28pm On May 03, 2018
OdiaI:
You and I can create a disruption. It may not be immediately but with the right mindset, we can achieve a lot for Nigeria. I believe so much in Nigeria because buried beneath all the corruption and political noise are a crop of fine, exceptional and brilliant young potentials. We have recognized all the problems, good! Now that we are half way into the solutions, how do you come in? How can I come in?

Nigeria is greater than we see, you know?

Well, I wish you guys well...me I’m out...can’t waste my youth with the hope of getting this God forsaken country better. I know it will be better but probably in the next 20 years. And at that time, I should be planing my retirement and how to travel the world.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Some Mothers Refuse/fear To Breastfeed?—THEHEALTHYMAIL / mmmm / Help Urgently Needed In This Family.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.