Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse (1229 Views)

Ten Tallest Buildings In Nigeria / Some Of The Worst Sky Scrapper, High-Rise Building Collapses In History(Photos) / Bella Disu Completes Luxurious High Rise Complex (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by HigherEd: 6:26am On Apr 26, 2018
NIGERIA AND THE NEED FOR HIGH RISE BUILDINGS

By 2050 the Nigerian population is expected to have surpassed the current population of the United States according to the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Development. It is however unfortunate that there is no positive projection in the upward availability of housing for the booming Nigerian population. Lagos today has an housing deficit of 3 million units and if there isn't a quick positive policy drift, many Nigerians would be left homeless in the nearest future.

In tackling the challenges of housing deficit, it is imperative to adopt working models from developed nations to solve the 17 million housing deficit in Nigeria. Today, irrespective of a 1.3 billion people strong population, China still has an housing surplus while about 86% of Singaporeans live on public housing.

The importance of high rise buildings in metropolis like Lagos, Ibadan, Kano, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Onitsha can not be overemphasised as a practical solution to the housing shortage should see the government at each level working hands in gloves with the private sector to deliver affordable, quality and safe high rise buildings which would accommodate more people and see to a more conservative and efficient use of land.

Considering that lands are of high premium in most dense cities of the world. High rise buildings would also help concentrate several residences, offices and malls which in turn will help to reduce the strain on public infrastructure.

Apart from the benefits high rise buildings gives to cities, it also has major benefits for the home dwellers which includes a great view; sufficient underground parking, a balcony to oneself amongst others.
Having high rise buildings is achievable in our cities as we work together to redefine real estate and allied services in Nigeria and Africa.

Image credit: Twin skyscrapers in Eko Atlantic City, Lagos, Nigeria

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1543692015739354&id=946218358820059

Lalasticlala

1 Share

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by barojana: 6:33am On Apr 26, 2018
Sure there is a need for it. It is amazing that at this age and time we still build some kinds of houses like face me I slap you for the poor. What we should be having is high rises that would be tailored for low income , middle income and high income families.

However, replacing small buildings with high rises would only increase the Lagos or PortHarcourt population drastically which can worsen traffic in those places.
Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by barojana: 6:36am On Apr 26, 2018
HigherEd:
Today, irrespective of a 1.3 billion people strong population, China still has an housing surplus while about 86% of Singaporeans live on public housing.
Interesting cool Naija which way smiley
Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by hisgrace090: 6:46am On Apr 26, 2018
When others are homeless, the restless chinies thinkers have surplus homes.

Thump up the chinies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by Zuluhead(m): 6:56am On Apr 26, 2018
Another factor to consider about high rise building is power. All high rise building in nigeria run on 24hrs stand by generating set.
The elevator and ventilations needs power.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by HigherEd: 7:27am On Apr 26, 2018
Zuluhead:
Another factor to consider about high rise building is power. All high rise building in nigeria run on 24hrs stand by generating set.
Your head is there 100%. I remember my days working with NETCO-NNPC in VI. All staff and Interns already entered the staff bus and we were about to move only for me to realise my seat mate is missing. We started calling and calling not knowing she was stuck in the elevator. I guess that must have happened as a result of power interruption... If we must get high rises right we must get electricity right.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by Zuluhead(m): 7:39am On Apr 26, 2018
HigherEd:

Your head is there 100%. I remember my days working with NETCO-NNPC in VI. All staff and Interns already entered the staff bus and we were about to move only for me to realise my seat mate is missing. We started calling and calling not knowing she was stuck in the elevator. I guess that must have happened as a result of power interruption... If we must get high rises right we must get electricity right.
The nigerian power sectors affects alots of sectors to grow.
Its pathetic that the president would call the youth lazy despite the fact they failed to produce basic amenities to the youths, they tag them lazy.
From power, roads, railway, hospitals, factories, schools, airports, sea ports, agriculture, housing,e.t.c the government have failed to produce.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by Jethrolite(m): 10:54am On Apr 26, 2018
HigherEd:

Zuluhead:
You are both correct but skyscrapers on the scale they operate should have an independent power source, numerous estates have done it in Lagos in a system where they generate their own power and issue electric bills to tenants. The estate I first saw this back in 2014 was powered by diesel generators and the only time power goes off is less then 20 seconds for the whole day during change over. A person building a skyscraper should add the cost of generating power to other support system cost such as HVAC and sewage treatment.

Also the case of housing deficit is not a problem with a simple solution. Government needs to start from providing strong regulation that creates environment for businesses to succeed and create jobs to creating a system that encourages 30 years mortgage loan facilities.

The Nigerian population as it is, is poor and can not afford such. No businessman will put up over N2bn to do such a project. On the contrary though, the bold ones that can identify a market can create a 5 year payment plan to purchase apartments in their condo where a lump sum is paid with the balance spread over 5 years but Nigeria is such a risk averse market and investors need to be very weary.

One way or the other, we will sort things out.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by DrPurple(m): 10:17pm On Apr 28, 2018
Hmmmh, True Talk, But Our Lazy Leaders Will Not Think About That, All They Know Is To Loot And Talk Nonsense In Front Of The Camera...

#Purple
Re: Nigeria And The Need For High Rise Buildings - Kinesthouse by haryourdayG(m): 12:52pm On Oct 20, 2018
I'll like to know about working in NETCO. Kindly send a whatsapp message on 07063531532. Thanks

HigherEd:

(1) (Reply)

Adron Homes Presents Lemon Friday Bonanza / Newly Built 4 Bedroom Duplex And 1 Self Contain For Sale At Ebute Ikorodu Lagos. / UPCOMING PROJECTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.