Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese (20371 Views)

Ifeoma Amuche Gives Her Speech In Chinese As Best Student In China University / Kaduna Varsity Produces First Batch Of Pharmacists After Accreditation / EKSU Finally Produces First Set Of Medical Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by seguntijan(m): 4:29pm On May 02, 2018
The University of Lagos has produced the first set graduates in the Chinese undergraduate programme of the university.

This is according the Vice Chancellor of the institution, Oluwatoyin Ogundipe on Wednesday at a press briefing ahead of the 49th Convocation Ceremony.

EduCeleb.com recalls that the university admitted its first set of students to study Chinese in the 2013/2014 session. Their completion of the programme in the 2016/2017 session makes them also the first set of graduates in Chinese from a Nigerian university.

Chinese was introduced as a programme in the Department of Linguistics, African and Asian Studies (LAAS) after about four years of running the Confucius Institute in the same university.

Confucius Institute was jointly established by the University of Lagos and the Beijing Institute of Technology in China in 2009. It still runs diploma programmes in Chinese under UNILAG’s Faculty of Arts towards promoting Chinese language and culture.
Of all the graduates produced for the session, four who studied Chinese had First Class honours.

A further breakdown of the graduate figures shows that 12,638 graduating students would be awarded their degrees, diplomas and certificates.

Out of these, 53.9% were first degrees or diploma holders while 46.1% are for postgraduate degrees.
“The figures demonstrate the University’s drive to enhance postgraduate education in Nigeria through research,” Professor Ogundipe said.

Out of the undergraduate products, 245 are in the first class division, 1892 are in the Second Class Upper Division, and 2959 are in the Second Class Lower Division.

Also, 1227 had Third Class, 93 had pass degrees while 400 had degrees or diplomas that were not classified.
The Professor of Botany also announced that Mrs Mutiat Bolanle Ibrahim from the Department of Pharmacognosy emerged the overall Best PhD Thesis.

Also, three best graduating students emerged. They are Matthew Jeffrey Jude of the Department of Biochemistry, Roy-Larinde Bosun Abbas of the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering and Babawale Oludare Emmanuel of the Department of Chemistry, all with a Commutative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.97.

At the convocation ceremonies, one professor would be awarded emeritus professorship while four others would be given distinguished professorship.

“As part of our culture of celebrating academics who have rendered meritorious services to this community and the nation by making a positive impact in their various fields and areas of expertise, we shall be conferring a well-deserved honour of Emeritus Professorship on Professor Mabel Modupe Ogunlesi, formerly of the Department of Chemistry and the former Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics & Research) between 2007-2012,” the VC said.

The four professors to be honoured with distinguished professorship are Professor Herbert A.B. Coker of the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Professor Ayodeji Olukoju of the Department of History and Strategic Studies, Professor Taiwo Osipitan of the Department of Public Law and Professor Onatolu Olukoya of the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology/Biology.

Among activities during the week long 2016/2017 convocation ceremonies is the Investiture Ceremony for the 12th UNILAG VC, Ogundipe as well as an Exhibition at the Senate Building Car Park on Tuesday, 8th May, 2018.

On the same day, the Convocation Lecture titled “Inclusion: The Path to a New Nation” would be delivered by the Executive Governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode at the J.F. Ade Ajayi Auditorium.

Between Wednesday, 9th May and Friday, 11th May, 2018, the graduation ceremonies would hold.
The first day is expected to feature the graduation of graduating students in the Faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Science and Social Sciences.
On the second day, those in the Faculties of Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Dental Sciences, Management Sciences, Engineering, Law, Pharmacy and the Distance Learning Institute would be graduating.

For the final day of the Ceremonies, graduating students of the School of Postgraduate Studies would be awarded their degrees while those to be conferred distinguished and emeritus professorship would be honoured.

https://educeleb.com/unilag-produces-first-set-of-graduates-in-chinese/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by whitebeard(m): 4:33pm On May 02, 2018
Are they going to china

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 02, 2018
whitebeard:
Are they going to china

angry angry angry

☣ ☠

Being a polyglot is something.

☣ ☠

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by whitebeard(m): 4:49pm On May 02, 2018
OrestesDante:

angry angry angry

☣ ☠

Being a polyglot is something.

☣ ☠
the only place they can work is embassy and rep of a company in another china

Besides don't u feel stressed having to combine all this emojis, sign and front just for one post

38 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by EbukaHades10(m): 4:59pm On May 02, 2018
Make them no go China go cook them rice o. I dey go them location next week.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 02, 2018
whitebeard:

Besides don't u feel stressed having to combine all this emojis, sign and front just for one post

grin

☣ ☠

lol... That's never a problem Sir

☣ ☠

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by chalerea(m): 6:59pm On May 02, 2018
whitebeard:
Are they going to china
During the study period, they actually went to China for a two year exchange program. My baby sister is among the people graduating. Can you believe she already got a job of 350k per month even before graduation? The course really pays.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by whitebeard(m): 7:25pm On May 02, 2018
chalerea:
During the study period, they actually went to China for a two year exchange program. My baby sister is among the people graduating. Can you believe she already got a job of 350k per month even before graduation? The course really pays.
pls I am no agent of darkness just curious, I myself I am still in school..

So is she working Here in Nigeria or she is to work in china

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by AgentGoat: 9:24pm On May 02, 2018
chalerea:

Job of 350k for just '"MY SHOE SHALL SHINE"

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Oblongata: 10:04pm On May 02, 2018
whitebeard:

he just wants to prove he is not a lazy yoot!
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Abbeyme: 9:30am On May 03, 2018
The Mandarin society just keeps growing in Nigeria grin

shocked shocked

So Nigerians wants to also start producing Chinese Products.
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Narldon: 9:30am On May 03, 2018

An Emotional story... embarassed

辜鸿《中国人的精神李宗吾求官六字真言, 做官六字真言
李大钊危险思想与言论自由周作人作品集林语堂作品集老舍《创作经验谈》张爱玲《谈女人》, 自己的文章王实味《野百合花》王了一夫妇之间, 劝菜秦牧谈谈李莲英沈从文《论读经》

The Most Touching Part was when He said, 由周作人作品集林语堂

Only UNILAG Chinese Graduates will understand...

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by jbreezy: 9:32am On May 03, 2018
Chan sueng chin quan pong...it meanz nobody cares

5 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Nobody: 9:32am On May 03, 2018
nice one
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by nelsonebby(m): 9:32am On May 03, 2018
chalerea:
sad
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by oshe11: 9:36am On May 03, 2018
Las Las na only
Cup
Greetings
Woman
Man
Kpansh
Love
And other lil frivolities dem go fit speak

To commune go still be war
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Nobody: 9:37am On May 03, 2018
Congratulations
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by QEbeauty(f): 9:37am On May 03, 2018
I'm a student of unilag and I'm learning chinese(mandarin) on the side at the confucious institute

Yes Chinese is underrated

I wish i knew what i know now before i gained admission. I would've just gone for chinese.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by funmilade4real(m): 9:38am On May 03, 2018
My Cousin speaks chinese like...

He has gotten a job already.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by uwajeh(m): 9:38am On May 03, 2018
The Chinese are a people not a language. Chinese people speak Mandarin, Cantonese or a host of other languages but they don't speak "Chinese".

12 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by funmilade4real(m): 9:39am On May 03, 2018
oshe11:
Las Las na only
Cup
Greetings
Woman
Man
Kpansh
Love
And other lil frivolities dem go fit speak

To commune go still be war

Igorance sha. PMB is right
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Kingdolo(m): 9:40am On May 03, 2018
NIce
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by forreelinc(m): 9:42am On May 03, 2018
grin hmmm the gals wey dey these kind course sabi f*ck wella
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by killuminati(m): 9:43am On May 03, 2018
Picture of the Chinese students with Jet Li or...... lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by cnwamo(m): 9:44am On May 03, 2018
uwajeh:
The Chinese are a people not a language. Chinese people speak Mandarin, Cantonese or a host of other languages but they don't speak "Chinese".

You're wrong Sir.
Chinese is actually also the language, just as people from England speak English and are referred to as English, People from China are called Chinese and the language is Chinese.
Countable and uncountable nouns. smiley

Mandarin is a variant of Chinese just as you have others like Cantonese etc.

16 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by CSTR1003: 9:44am On May 03, 2018
Kai.

Nigerians, anywhere belle face.
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Lizilicious(f): 9:44am On May 03, 2018
Pipo already said my language sounds Chinese-ish....
Nah, I can't do that to myself the second time

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Awoo88: 9:45am On May 03, 2018
AgentGoat:

Job of 350k for just '"MY SHOE SHALL SHINE"
Na ur type dey do 25k contract work for bank

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by killuminati(m): 9:45am On May 03, 2018
QEbeauty:
I'm a student of unilag and I'm learning chinese(mandarin) on the side at the confucious institute

Yes Chinese is underrated

I wish i knew what i know now before i gained admission. I would've just gone for chinese.
wow, that's is cool..
Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by delgroveng(m): 9:47am On May 03, 2018
Citizens that will bridge gaps in this two biggest Economies in their continent. Also one of Nigeria's biggest trading partner in real goods and services

Goods we currently produce is far less than our monthly consumption, but Service industries can be exploited in all fields. Nigerians can not keep flying to China just to go buy a plant.

Haba its only natural we keep encouraging more graduates in this field.

Intelligence is when you can understand your trading partner or your Enemy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Produces First Set Of Graduates In Chinese by Abdulhakeem78(m): 9:47am On May 03, 2018
Narldon:

An Emotional story... embarassed

辜鸿《中国人的精神李宗吾求官六字真言, 做官六字真言
李大钊危险思想与言论自由周作人作品集林语堂作品集老舍《创作经验谈》张爱玲《谈女人》, 自己的文章王实味《野百合花》王了一夫妇之间, 劝菜秦牧谈谈李莲英沈从文《论读经》

The Most Touching Part was when He said, 由周作人作品集林语堂

Only UNILAG Chinese Graduates will understand...

Please translate the story to understand its line or delete it.Imagine the point of the story is abracadabra grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reports From Different JAMB Centers / How Much Is Lasu Postgraduate Sch Fees. (16/17 Session) / UNICAF, A Huge Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.