Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,450 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed (2294 Views)

Innoson Chukwuma Gifts Rev. Jonas Benson Okoye G80 (2023 Model) - Pictures / Mazda To Benchmark Toyota Instead Of BMW Because The New Toyota Camry Is Badass / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 6:09pm On May 02, 2018
I own a Mazda 626, manual transmission with injector engine. The oil seal was found to be leaking as it was making one of the plugs to get soaked with oil.
I took it to a mechanic and he changed the damaged seal with another one and coupled it. At the end of the work, he turned on the ignition, the car starts and the ignition keep tripping off, it never remain steaming. Every attempt to get this problem resolved by different mechanics that were called to assist, failed. Auto electricians were also called, and they have done all they could, yet the problem remains. All the plugs were changed, the nozzles were serviced, yet to no avail. I have spent time, I have spent hard earned money yet nothing seems to work. Its over 3 good weeks now at the workshop, am running out of any idea as to what I could do next.

Please and please, does anyone know what could be wrong, your useful experienced opinions will be appreciated. Below is an exact picture of the car.

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 9:01pm On May 02, 2018
Engine ignition timing has been messed up. Have a qualified mechanic check & reset it.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by TRYGO(m): 6:20am On May 03, 2018
Terribly sorry for your situation.
What the mechanic replaced is called VALVE COVER SEAL. And I don't see how that could result in the tining being tempered with, as Kong as the belt/chain wasn't part of the repair process.

All the parts replaced, shouldn't have being replaced in the first place. Keep those parts, and have the car SCANNED of codes first! Without doing that, you'd keep throwing money at parts.

Isn't there a check engine light on the dashboard displaying?

I hope the "rewires" you called haven't spliced the car's wiring harnesses, and did terrible connections?

Regards,
Joseph
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng

1 Like

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 7:17am On May 03, 2018
I believe the valve stem seal was replaced due to the plug being soaked. OP, come and clarify.

That said, is there an OBD port on a car of that year? I'm not sure the OP can enjoy the benefit of a scan.

1 Like

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 8:39am On May 03, 2018
cyborg123:
Engine ignition timing has been messed up. Have a qualified mechanic check & reset it.
Thank you for your contribution. I had dropped the car with him and left for work. The ignition timing belt I think was tampered with because the mechanic did confess to me, that he heard an unusual noise from the engine and traced it to the timing belt, because I got surprised that a car I drove down to the mechanic shop for a minor fault suddenly could not start and function anymore.

Thanks again for your useful contribution!

1 Like

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:09am On May 03, 2018
cyborg123:
I believe the valve stem seal was replaced due to the plug being soaked. OP, come and clarify.

That said, is there an OBD port on a car of that year? I'm not sure the OP can enjoy the benefit of a scan.
Yes they say its oil seal, but he changed a seal in the plug wire "distribution box". I don't know if he replaced the right seal.
Can the oil seal be located at the "distribution box"? Or has he replaced the valve seal instead of oil seal?

Please don't mind my lame terms.

Its a 2012 Mazda 626.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:19am On May 03, 2018
TRYGO:
Terribly sorry for your situation.
What the mechanic replaced is called VALVE COVER SEAL. And I don't see how that could result in the tining being tempered with, as Kong as the belt/chain wasn't part of the repair process.

All the parts replaced, shouldn't have being replaced in the first place. Keep those parts, and have the car SCANNED of codes first! Without doing that, you'd keep throwing money at parts.

Isn't there a check engine light on the dashboard displaying?

I hope the "rewires" you called haven't spliced the car's wiring harnesses, and did terrible connections?

Regards,
Joseph
DW Nig Ltd
www.dxta.net.ng

Dear Joseph,

Thanks for your concern. The check engine light on the dashboard displays "key" symbol, and I think it has something to do with a faulty ignition. I learnt the mechanic tampered with the timing belt, could it also be the cause, can the timing belt be reset?
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 1:37pm On May 03, 2018
solosolo111:
Yes they say its oil seal, but he changed a seal in the plug wire "distribution box". I don't know if he replaced the right seal.
Can the oil seal be located at the "distribution box"? Or has he replaced the valve seal instead of oil seal?

Please don't mind my lame terms.

Its a 2012 Mazda 626.

From the picture you uploaded, your car can't be a 2012 model. I'm thinking 1994 - 1996.

There is a seal on the distributor cap assembly but I don't think that can cause the spark plugs to get wet. From your initial complaint, I think your mechanic has replaced your valve stem seals but he has somehow messed with the ignition timing assuming all vacuum lines and wires have been thoroughly checked.

What exactly did the mechanic do to the "unusual noise" he detected?
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 2:24pm On May 03, 2018
cyborg123:

From the picture you uploaded, your car can't be a 2012 model. I'm thinking 1994 - 1996.

There is a seal on the distributor cap assembly but I don't think that can cause the spark plugs to get wet. From your initial complaint, I think your mechanic has replaced your valve stem seals but he has somehow messed with the ignition timing assuming all vacuum lines and wires have been thoroughly checked.

What exactly did the mechanic do to the "unusual noise" he detected?

From the VIN check it actually shows 2012 version to my amazement. Its only one of the plugs that is always soaked and the mechanic says its oil seal that is leaking and I left the car with him for the office. By the time I came back he showed me a little thick round rubber that he had changed from the distributor cap assembly. He said he traced the "unusual noise" to the timing belt and got it resolved, he never told me what he did. Am going to get another mechanic to do a thorough check of the oil seal and timing belt.

Thanks alot for digging deep.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 5:24pm On May 03, 2018
solosolo111:

From the VIN check it actually shows 2012 version to my amazement. Its only one of the plugs that is always soaked and the mechanic says its oil seal that is leaking and I left the car with him for the office. By the time I came back he showed me a little thick round rubber that he had changed from the distributor cap assembly. He said he traced the "unusual noise" to the timing belt and got it resolved, he never told me what he did. Am going to get another mechanic to do a thorough check of the oil seal and timing belt.

Thanks alot for digging deep.
You are welcome.

Please keep us posted on the repair process.

1 Like

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by TRYGO(m): 7:22pm On May 03, 2018
Absolutely! The timing belt can be reset, if your mechanic knows what he's doing. He might know what he's doing, considering that he did replaced the oil seals by the ignition timing area.

If your car uses a distribution box(has spark plug wires), then, probably the ignition has being retarded too much, causing it to not start.

PS: If it displays the key sign, without starting, then I suspect there must be something going on wrong with the ignition module ID. It may not be identifying the signal being sent from the ignition, to the ignition module.

It could also be that your car's security system is preventing the car from starting, if it has developed some kind of fault.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
www.dxta.net.ng

2 Likes

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 8:32am On May 04, 2018
TRYGO:
Absolutely! The timing belt can be reset, if your mechanic knows what he's doing. He might know what he's doing, considering that he did replaced the oil seals by the ignition timing area.

If your car uses a distribution box(has spark plug wires), then, probably the ignition has being retarded too much, causing it to not start.

PS: If it displays the key sign, without starting, then I suspect there must be something going on wrong with the ignition module ID. It may not be identifying the signal being sent from the ignition, to the ignition module.

It could also be that your car's security system is preventing the car from starting, if it has developed some kind of fault.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(call/WhatsApp)
www.dxta.net.ng

Thanks bro., the car starts but doesn't remain steaming, as soon as you remove your foot from the pedal, the engine goes off.

I have gotten another mechanic to look at it, and his attention is on the ignition belt. The key sign has always been there without any problems, as soon as the car starts, the key sign disappears and that has been its behavior, without posing and problem.

I will get you posted with the update about the car.

Thanks again.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by TRYGO(m): 8:23pm On May 04, 2018
Also check the vacuum pipes for any leaks, including the throttle body assembly.

Regards,
Joseph
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by boldx(m): 8:26am On May 05, 2018
Where is your location?
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:00am On May 07, 2018
boldx:
Where is your location?
PH
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:37am On May 10, 2018
Got an experienced widely recommended mechanic to handle the job. Got the timing belt reset and the distribution cap which he discovered to be faulty replaced. Finally he has also discovered the brain box is affected (burnt). He is going to get a new brain box for it. Though the one the car came with is a sensor brain box, because of cost he wants to try an open brain box.

Any major difference between sensor brain box and open brain box?

This the update so far, I will keep you posted after the brain box is replaced.

Thanks for your useful contributions and care.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:39am On May 10, 2018
solosolo111:
Got an experienced widely recommended mechanic to handle the job. Got the timing belt reset and the distribution cap which he discovered to be faulty replaced. Finally he has also discovered the brain box is affected (burnt). He is going to get a new brain box for it. Though the one the car came with is a sensor brain box, because of cost he wants to try an open brain box.

Any major difference between sensor brain box and open brain box?

This the update so far, I will keep you posted after the brain box is replaced.

Thanks for your useful contributions and care.

@cyborg123, @TRYGO
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 10:15am On May 10, 2018
solosolo111, sorry your mechanic/rewire has made you spend way more than necessary to repair your car. I don't have any experience with replacing mazda brainbox so I don't know the difference between sensor and open brain boxes.

However, whatever replacement brainbox the new mechanic is getting, make sure it is plug and play. No work-work or cutting and joining of wires anywhere should be tolerated.

It is always better as much as possible to stick with factory configurations if you want your car to work optimally and reliably.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by antobrige: 10:38am On May 10, 2018
Just get a mechanic that specialize on Mazda only and he will solve it....what's url base maybe I will send some number cos my customers have encountered such issues and he fixed...
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by autologic: 12:19pm On May 10, 2018
"Sensor brainbox and open brainbox " undecided any auto technician that say such doesnt deserve to open a car toy not alone a real car electrical system .
#kazeemisation
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by TRYGO(m): 10:14pm On May 10, 2018
I have never heard of those ECU (brain box) terminologies before.

Y don't you just get the original Brainbox, and program it to the car? Saves you a lot!

Car came to the shop without a fried ECU. So, how cone now, a brain box was fried, and has to be replaced? Sounds .....

Regards,
Joseph
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 10:22pm On May 10, 2018
TRYGO:
I have never heard of those ECU (brain box) terminologies before.

Y don't you just get the original Brainbox, and program it to the car? Saves you a lot!

Car came to the shop without a fried ECU. So, how cone now, a brain box was fried, and has to be replaced? Sounds .....

Regards,
Joseph
Exactly my thoughts. I'm suspecting the 'rewire' bridged some wires to test current flow when the engine was stalling, either to test the injectors, coil or fuel pump. That is the crude and reckless move that often fries ECUs.

1 Like

Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by solosolo111: 9:43am On May 16, 2018
After replacing the faulting ECU(brain box) and the Distribution cap, the car has finally picked up and is doing fine.

Cause of the damaged ECU(brain box) was discovered to be bridged wires. This was messed up by the initial hands that handled the car on my absence, because I drove the car down myself to the mechanic, the only problem was the oil seal leakage. I came back to pickup the car only to discover it could no longer steam when started.

Thanks guys for all your numerous contributions and very useful suggestions.

@TRYGO, @cyborg123 and all others am indeed grateful.

Lesson learnt: Take your car to a trusted hand. I have never used that mechanic before, taught it was a minor problem any mechanic could fix only to end up in a serious mess.
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by AutoElectNG: 10:46am On May 16, 2018
OP
I am happy for you but worried.

This is why...your former brainbox was married to the immobilizer, meaning only your key could start it.

This new brainbox is not married to the immobilizer. Can any key start your car? Your guess is as good as mine.

I would take discreet personally identifiable information and contact information of all the technicians who have worked on your car and who know about the change of brainbox

Better still I would get the exact fit brainbox and get someone to program your keys to work with the exact fit brainbox for absolute peace of mind. Even with this option do your investigations before using a key programmer or use one out of town for added security.

I would do that sooner than later.

In the ecu/key programming community the security in that Mazda was so good that it was difficult to bypass and even today those keys cost a premium if they have to be replaced.

You need to read the technical expository to appreciate, but this will serve as a good summary, https://performancetechnician.com/2009/10/immobilizer/
Re: Help! Every Attempt To Make My Car (mazda) To Steam (rev On Idle) Failed by cyborg123(m): 11:01am On May 16, 2018
You are welcome. Good to know your car now works fine. cool
solosolo111:
After replacing the faulting ECU(brain box) and the Distribution cap, the car has finally picked up and is doing fine.

Cause of the damaged ECU(brain box) was discovered to be bridged wires. This was messed up by the initial hands that handled the car on my absence, because I drove the car down myself to the mechanic, the only problem was the oil seal leakage. I came back to pickup the car only to discover it could no longer steam when started.

Thanks guys for all your numerous contributions and very useful suggestions.

@TRYGO, @cyborg123 and all others am indeed grateful.

Lesson learnt: Take your car to a trusted hand. I have never used that mechanic before, taught it was a minor problem any mechanic could fix only to end up in a serious mess.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

To Buy Infiniti FX35 Car / Between Nissan Pathfinder And Nissan Xterra / Rewire Said I Should Change Brainbox, Your Advice Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.