Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs (2008 Views)

MID A10,Qualcom,Onda,Huewui and other Android Tablet Helpdesk / Linux/windows Technical Support / Microsoft Certified Technical Support Analyst? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Nosleep4uk(m): 9:09am On Dec 31, 2005
Guys, I'm so sorry to bother you but i need you to put me through some issues.

I intend going into the IT industry but I have little or no knowledge of the the IT enviroment. For now, I'd like to train myself to be able to work as helpdesk or technical support here in the UK. Can u tell me where to start from and which certification I should take.
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by c0dec(m): 5:05pm On Dec 31, 2005
i assume basic certification should be MCP (microsoft certified professional).

you could also get linux, install it and play around.
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Seun(m): 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2005
No, I think it's the Comptia A+ certification programme:
"CompTIA A+ certification is an international industry credential that validates the knowledge of computer service technicians with the equivalent of 500 hours of hands-on experience."
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by gabng(m): 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2005
I disagree with seun.

Nosleep4uk, I advise that you go for the MCP option it has mor clout (or locus standi) than the A+. You would be better for it. I am talking from experience.....
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by gabng(m): 9:09pm On Dec 31, 2005
In addition to my last post, Seaun as you can see he does not have any experience so the A+ does not count also.

Ciao
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Seun(m): 2:12pm On Jan 02, 2006
Remember he is in the UK and not Nigeria where everything is MSCE/CCNA.

1 Like

Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Nosleep4uk(m): 2:36pm On Jan 03, 2006
Thanks guys,can you tell me the materials for the MCP because someone as already suggested it to me and if there are any additional information as to the training because i have no idea at all.
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by 2nde(m): 5:00am On Jan 04, 2006
Hey, Seun is very very correct, i am an A+ Certified and i have step by step text book i can refer you to get and read through for like $40. With A+, the sky is the limit as a Technician especially in this Western World.
If you are interested in the text book, reply and let me know.
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Nosleep4uk(m): 2:32pm On Jan 04, 2006
Thanks 2nde,i am very much interested.can you please let me know the book and where to get it/them,i very much appreciate you guys.
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by sbucareer(f): 3:02pm On Jan 04, 2006
Hi Nosleep4uk,

You are better off with MCP, A+ and PC Build and Maintenance are just another way of sucking money from people.  Although these courses will be useful for beginners with little or no IT knowledge but you would soon find it boring as everyone in the world that is interested in IT has used or are using computing.

Beside, MCP will teach you all these A+ in advance way.  Let look at the topics covered in MCP.  MCP is one element of MCSA/MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Administrator/Engineer)  

"Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one current Microsoft certification exam that provides a valid and reliable measure of technical proficiency and expertise (a current exam is any that has not been retired). " (1) http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcp/requirements.asp

There are series of exams to makes you MCSA/E.  for MCSA below are the elements:

1. Exam 70–2101: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
1. Exam 70–270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
( One required)

2. Exam 70–2151: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
3. Exam 70–218: Managing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Environment

4.  Selective from here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/requirements.asp

This would make you become MCSA, but one of them would make you MCP. For MCSE see here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

Make sure that your investment in studying and acquiring these certs would fetch you jobs as IT is in decline by global outsourcing pandemic.  

If you ask me I would recommend CCNA.  This is the real IT Engineering.  Only 2% of their certs students actually get CCNIE.  Many of CCNA, CCNP are all well placed in IT industry.  I know people will challenge me here.  Lets be candid for now. MCSE/A is for Microsoft and it related technologies that keeps changing every year but CCN is not only for Cisco system but WAN, MAN, ATM, FIBER OPTIC, GPS, GPRS, WIRELESS and etc technologies.  These are the real IT Engineers for me.  I would personally go for CCNA to MCSE.

Finally, Microsoft is only a software company they do NOT build most of their hardware.  There is a different.  That is why you had to study A+ like senu said before going into software.  Believe me if you can pass CCNA you don't need to read about MCSE to pass it.

My advice if anyone can take it is to start moving away from IT.  IT is generic, everyone knows IT.  My Nephew can now program Ada (A 3rd generation Language) by Ada Lovelace a Mathematician in America.  And her sister (Nephew) can fix any computer gliche.  I am not suprise they are thought at school.  And if you are bend on learning IT and getting certs for it do the Open Source Software(OSeS) ie. Unix  They are difficult to configure and debug.  Many companies uses them for critical mession system i.e. bank Stock exchange etc. not only they are not susceptible to virus they are free.  Workstation in a company can have only 2 or 3 technicians to help administer them.  Even worse outsource it.  I remember my first IT job after graduation.  I worked for a company I would not mention their name here and two of us where in a small council room answering calls from big companies like National Health Service (NHS), Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) and Housing Association in the borough of Southwark and Lewisham.  The staff calls us to log erros, we help them to fix it if we can and if we cannot we will dispatch Line 2 officers to physical go and fix it.  I can tell you 99.9% of time we can help them over the phone. Problems like I can't login, passwd expire I cannot connect to internet, my browser cannot read some special web apps i.e. download shockwave from macromedia etc.

Many companies are doing this to reduce cost and put people, IT prof out of job.  So, be careful with acquiring all these certs and find yourself in debt or no jobs.

But CCNA, you can not do it remotely infact there is demind for CCNA, the course it though but if you can get it you are in bether position for job to MCSE.  Typical jobs for CCNA

1. Setup ISP
2. Setup Enterprise Information infrastructure
3. Connection two different geographical company together (WAN) i.e Microsoft in CA to Microsoft in India  CA.com=India.com
4. etc., challenging haa...

I will stop here for now
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by 2nde(m): 4:59pm On Jan 04, 2006
The title of the book is A+ Complete Study Guide Third Edition
By David Groth
Publisher: SYBEX

Thats all you need man, go get it and you will thank me later
Re: Getting Certified For IT Helpdesk or Technical Support Jobs by Shinaj: 4:33pm On Apr 13, 2007
Hi here. After reading this thread I feel someone here can give me some candid advise or refferal as it may be. I recently passed the MCDST- microsoft entry level certification and need a place here in Lagos to improve on my skills especially hardware. Can somebody recommend a place please?

(1) (Reply)

HELP: Simple Server Has Stopped Working On PC. Anyone Experiencing This??? / HP 255 G4 Laptop For Sale / Acer Travelmate 14//corei7//256gb Ssd//8gb Ram//2gb Dedicated Graphics//pod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.