Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Herdsmen Killings - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Herdsmen Killings (755 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Herdsmen Killings by haywhybamz(m): 5:41pm On May 05, 2018
HERDSMEN KILLINGS: THE WORLD WILL CONTINUE TO WATCH
I was a bit skeptical when I saw a post on a popular Nigerian website NAIRALAND where someone made claims that the world is watching the activities of herdsmen with their killings a s they are waiting for it to get to a stage before they intervene, well I'm not against the writer but it's high time to take responsibility of our lives and no one should be held responsible for whatever happens to us. "The one without money is not poor, you are poor if you think someone else must take responsibility for your life" this is a quote that I've coined for the purpose of this opinion piece.
While the herdsmen struck again, I was bitter in my mind and at the same time, my mind went to the Rwandan genocide, are we not having a repeat at hands? What will happen if other tribe decide to strike back? Isn't it time the president declare herdsmen as a terrorist group? All this am more was going through my mind but perhaps I was a utterly disappointed to learn that this issue has gained less prominence on the pages of our national failed and our online platforms, and perhaps all we focus on is the alleged claim of the president calling Nigerian youths lazy, the tour of the just concluded big brother naija housemates and the drama or perhaps the brouhaha between the Nigerian Senate and senator Dino melaye. Yet we make claims that the world is watching, why won't they watch? When the people that are of concern are not even taking it as a issue. So with the world and other countries still battling with its own internal issues, they will continue to watch.
Late Nelson Mandela in an interview with Dr Hakeem baba ahmed in 2007 made his stance about not being happy with Nigeria, and he asked a vital question if young Nigerians are being taught history? Well going down memory lane will give an insight to what is at hand on the issue of HERDSMEN killings. The Rwandan genocide according to Wikipedia
"The Rwandan genocide , also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100-day period from 7 April to mid-July 1994, constituting as many as 70% of the Tutsi population. Additionally, 30% of the Pygmy Batwa were killed. The genocide and widespread slaughter of Rwandans ended when the Tutsi-backed and heavily armed Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame took control of the country. An estimated 2,000,000 Rwandans, mostly Hutus, were displaced and became refugees." This should give an insight of what is to happen on the earlier question I asked on what if other ethnic groups decide to strike back?
I was bemused when Nigerians attack mark zuckerberg on why the "pray for Paris" sticker would be made available for use on Facebook after terrorists attacked France but none has been done since book Haram killings in Nigeria. I was ashamed that humanity has gotten to such level where we segregate attacks by terrorist groups. Well an adage says it all "as You lay your bed, you like on it" perhaps it's safe to say our leaders haven't laid our bed so well for other countries to lie on it. This is a story of two nations and why the world will continue to watch as we battle the menace of herdsmen. Few months ago, pictures of France president Emmanuel Macron surfaced online after he led a national ceremony on Wednesday honouring Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame who died offering himself as a hostage in a jihadist attack.
"In giving his life to bring to an end the deadly actions of a jihadist terrorist, he died a hero," Macron said ahead of the ceremony. Despite the fact that only one soldier was involved, the president took it as a duty to pay his last respect to the hero.
On the other end in Nigeria, Masa burial for citizens who were victims of herdsmen attack in okopokwu Benue state was cancelled without any reason and it was alleged that it was due to the visit of the president. Several attacks have been made by herdsmen in the past months, but the government have done little or nothing to visit the scene of the attacks, or perhaps offer support to the families of the victims. With these contrasting stories, isn't it safe to say the world will continue watching unless we take charge of our own welfare? Unless we realize that we are in charge of our own Happiness and we must react spontaneously to events happening our us before calling on others, the world will continue to watch.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me. / 5 Great Laptops To Buy At Budget-friendly Price / Foreign Used Elite Book 8460p Core I5 @ 60k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.