Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,170 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. (25368 Views)

My Organic Poultry Farming / Organic Poultry Farming E-book / Organic Poultry Farming - The Use Of Spices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 9:13am On Jul 04, 2018
As I mentioned above, you may decide to process your own supplements as there are available steps on the internet to follow. However, you need to know that it entails some level of expertise which if you do not possess you may be feeding your birds with poison. I don't make supplements for my birds. I buy ready made from Mr Saka who has mastered its processing. I have attempted to make some but experience has shown me that it's actually safer for me to buy ready made ones. I also mentor people who use these supplements because I know its ingredients, process and performance. I feel comfortable handling such people because I know the source. When someone who processed his supplements begins to have issues, most times it difficult for me to identify what the problem is. I have been there, I know the issues involved. So i just choose to deal with only people using what I use. You can also get these supplements and some of the spices from me.
That been said, the following are the various types of supplements and their applications.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 6:40am On Jul 05, 2018
TAGIRI SUPER is made from natural herbs such as bitter melon which is the parent herbs among the other 25 added to it and probiotics to promote and enhance the growth of birds to super size within the shortest possible time. Packed with natural antibiotics, tagiri super will allow your birds grow without using synthetic drugs or vaccines which can potentially delay animal growth and are also linked to cancer.
From day old. 10ml to 3litres of water. Three times weekly.

PREPARATION:
You blend the Tagiri with the skin, add some water when blending. For every liter of the Tagiri paste, add 300g of molasses, allow to ferment for 4days. You can speed up the process and give a head on start by adding LAB (10ml to 1litre).
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by deborsky(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2018
Thanks for not deserting this thread . pls cab u give a clear description of how to make molasses and lactobacillus and LAB. I want to do it myself and test it on a small scale. Thanks
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by dacool1(m): 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2018
manufacjob:
Dry Maize and Sorghum processing waste available in large quantities. N30/kg. Pick up within Lagos (Ikeja area). Constant supply per week thereafter is available

Pig, fish, cattle, snail and poultry farmers, for your attention.

Contact 08179047331
What's the minimum order
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 05, 2018
davillian:

Was about saying this before I came across this post.
I'm not a commercial farmer but I rare 10 chicks every year and in most cases they survive without any vaccines. Its just that they require lots of care when they are younger.
Nice Words I Rare Chicks Too And I Never Used Vaccine Tho Some Chicks Will Die But Am Left With Good Hens And Good Eggs, I For Once Know Longtime Ago That Eggs That We Buy Are From Vaccined Hens Bucuase It Do Affect Me

2 Likes

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2018
deborsky:
Thanks for not deserting this thread . pls cab u give a clear description of how to make molasses and lactobacillus and LAB. I want to do it myself and test it on a small scale. Thanks

LAB is the same as lactobacillus. I will share the steps I got from the internet on how it's prepared. As for molasses, it's a by product of sugarcane. I wouldn't advise you go through the vigorous process. Just buy. It's between #350-#500/litre.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Afeezoladapo(m): 5:32pm On Jul 05, 2018
hello! please how often is it advisable to remove d wood shavings?
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 10:17am On Jul 06, 2018
Afeezoladapo:
hello!
please how often is it advisable to remove d wood shavings?
When you notice any foul smell, dirty or damp.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 10:50am On Jul 06, 2018
GINGER&GARLIC EXTRACT is specially formulated from selected herbs. Ginger and garlic as the name implies is rich in sulphur, antioxidants and electrolyte. This is an excellent tool in the arsenal of an organic farmer to combat diseases on the farm. The serum extract can also be used as fungicide and insecticides to repel insects and pests. When mixed with neem oil and hot pepper, ginger&garlic becomes very effective against many diseases related to birds.

How to Make:
Ginger and Garlic are quite difficult to ferment, or extract active ingredients from. By adding fermented liquid already like beer or wine, the active ingredients in Ginger and Garlic are more easily fermented. Then we add sugar. Remember, sugar gives the microbes energy to continue fermentation. After letting this sit for a week or so, you arrest fermentation and enhance potency by adding a strong alcohol.

PREPARATION:
1. Get an equal amount of Ginger and Garlic, but keep them separate. As a rule of thumb, we try to ferment each material separately as you do not know if there is interaction when mixed. Once materials are fermented they are much more stable and compatible.

2. Put in container and fill with beer or wine until it is covered. Leave for 12-24hrs.

3. Add 1/3 sugar(crude sugar is best). E.g. if you have 1L worth of ginger-garlic soaking in beer/wine, you would add 1/3kg sugar.

4. Ferment this for 7-10 days. Longer the better.

5.After that time, add alcohol to arrest the fermentation process. Use at least 40%, or 80 proof.

6. Leave this mixture for 10 days. This allows the extraction process to take place, where the beneficial ingredients of the ginger/garlic are extracted with the alcohol.

7. After 10 days drain the fluid from this concoction.

8. You separated the ingredients in Step 1 and fermented them separately. Now that they are fermented you can mix them to make ginger-garlic extract

Pls note: I have never tried to make this. Also the one made by organicfoods doesn't contain alcohol as he has mentioned to me that he uses another method of extraction. So pls for those of us whose faith strictly prohibits alcohol need not worry. Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Afeezoladapo(m): 5:37pm On Jul 06, 2018
Ummulkhair20:
When you notice any foul smell, dirty or damp.
Nagode
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 10:34am On Jul 07, 2018
LAB (EM1) is an awesome organic product rich in lactic acid bacteria that produces enzymes and natural antibiotics aiding plants and animals immune system. It enhances nutrients assimilation, eliminates toxins and enhances plant and animal growth. The special products does not allow the development of disease causing organism.

I have never attempted to make LAB. However, You can follow this step;

PREPARATION:

Steps to Follow
1. Make a Carbohydrate Wash: You can make a carbohydrate wash using sources of complex carbohydrates like rice, wheat, barley, kinoa etc. Mark the words “complex carbohydrate”. Don’t use simple carbohydrates like sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, etc. To make the wash, rinse rice/wheat/barley/kinoa etc in warm water, the water left after rinsing is the carbohydrate wash. This wash will attract microbes from the air, among them lacto bacilli.
2. Allow the Microbes to Grow & Multiply: Cover the carbohydrate wash loosely and let it stand for a couple of days to a week. The actual number of days depends on temperature. Microbes grow faster in warmer temperature, therefore the warmer the temperature the lesser the number of days you’ll have to wait. It is done when you see a light film on top (molds) and it smells a little sour. It will also separate into 3 layers as follows:
i. Top layer: Consists of mainly carbohydrates leftover from fermentation and possibly molds
ii. Middle layer: This is the layer we use. It consists of lactic acid and other bacteria
iii. Bottom layer: Contains starch – byproduct of fermentation
At this stage enough microbes have establish themselves in the wash. Extract the middle layer using a siphon.
3. Adding Milk & Fermenting: Now you’ve extracted the middle layer (lacto serum), put it in a new container larger than the first and add 10 parts milk to it (e.g. if you have 1 cup of serum, add 10 cups of milk to it). The milk, which contains a lot of lactose, will prevent other microbes from multiplying, leaving only Lactobacillus to multiply.
The best milk to use in unpasteurized natural milk. But you can still use any other milk, including powdered milk.
At this stage, we want to exclude as much air as possible (anaerobic) as this will favor the growth and multiplication of Lactobacillus but prevent the other microbes from thriving. You can accomplish this by sprinkling something like rice bran, wheat bran, barley bran etc on top of the solution. Better still you can use a sealed container with a one-way valve.
Note: If flies have access to this mixture, it will eventually stink and contains maggots. So cover the container with a fine screen.
During fermentation there will be a lot of bubbling and this can lead to overflows if you don’t use a large enough container. To prevent this, the top level of the liquid should not be close to the top of the container.
After about 1 week (this depends on temperature), you’ll see curds (consist of carbohydrate, protein, and fat) on top of the milk. The yellow water below is whey and this is what we want. It is rich in lactic acid bacteria from the milk fermentation. Extract the whey by skimming out the curds or by pouring through a strainer. The curds can be eaten, given to animals, plants, added compost pile or soil etc.
Preservation
To preserve the whey at room temperature, add an equal part of sugar or molasses to it. For example, if you have 1L of serum, add 1kilo sugar or 1L molasses, otherwise store in a fridge.
Sample Recipe

1. 1 L rice wash

2. add 10L Milk

3. After fermentation, remove curds – around 1L. We’re left with 10L pure LAB (lactic acid bacteria)

4. add 10kg sugar or 10L molasses and this gives us 20L of stabilized lactic acid bacteria serum

1 Like

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by deborsky(m): 11:01am On Jul 07, 2018
Ummulkhair20:

LAB is the same as lactobacillus. I will share the steps I got from the internet on how it's prepared. As for molasses, it's a by product of sugarcane. I wouldn't advise you go through the vigorous process. Just buy. It's between #350-#500/litre.
Thanks ma'am. I will be waiting for it .
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by deborsky(m): 11:13am On Jul 07, 2018
Ummulkhair20:
LAB (EM1) is an awesome organic product rich in lactic acid bacteria that produces enzymes and natural antibiotics aiding plants and animals immune system. It enhances nutrients assimilation, eliminates toxins and enhances plant and animal growth. The special products does not allow the development of disease causing organism.

I have never attempted to make LAB. However, You can follow this step;

PREPARATION:

Steps to Follow
1. Make a Carbohydrate Wash: You can make a carbohydrate wash using sources of complex carbohydrates like rice, wheat, barley, kinoa etc. Mark the words “complex carbohydrate”. Don’t use simple carbohydrates like sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, etc. To make the wash, rinse rice/wheat/barley/kinoa etc in warm water, the water left after rinsing is the carbohydrate wash. This wash will attract microbes from the air, among them lacto bacilli.
2. Allow the Microbes to Grow & Multiply: Cover the carbohydrate wash loosely and let it stand for a couple of days to a week. The actual number of days depends on temperature. Microbes grow faster in warmer temperature, therefore the warmer the temperature the lesser the number of days you’ll have to wait. It is done when you see a light film on top (molds) and it smells a little sour. It will also separate into 3 layers as follows:
i. Top layer: Consists of mainly carbohydrates leftover from fermentation and possibly molds
ii. Middle layer: This is the layer we use. It consists of lactic acid and other bacteria
iii. Bottom layer: Contains starch – byproduct of fermentation
At this stage enough microbes have establish themselves in the wash. Extract the middle layer using a siphon.
3. Adding Milk & Fermenting: Now you’ve extracted the middle layer (lacto serum), put it in a new container larger than the first and add 10 parts milk to it (e.g. if you have 1 cup of serum, add 10 cups of milk to it). The milk, which contains a lot of lactose, will prevent other microbes from multiplying, leaving only Lactobacillus to multiply.
The best milk to use in unpasteurized natural milk. But you can still use any other milk, including powdered milk.
At this stage, we want to exclude as much air as possible (anaerobic) as this will favor the growth and multiplication of Lactobacillus but prevent the other microbes from thriving. You can accomplish this by sprinkling something like rice bran, wheat bran, barley bran etc on top of the solution. Better still you can use a sealed container with a one-way valve.
Note: If flies have access to this mixture, it will eventually stink and contains maggots. So cover the container with a fine screen.
During fermentation there will be a lot of bubbling and this can lead to overflows if you don’t use a large enough container. To prevent this, the top level of the liquid should not be close to the top of the container.
After about 1 week (this depends on temperature), you’ll see curds (consist of carbohydrate, protein, and fat) on top of the milk. The yellow water below is whey and this is what we want. It is rich in lactic acid bacteria from the milk fermentation. Extract the whey by skimming out the curds or by pouring through a strainer. The curds can be eaten, given to animals, plants, added compost pile or soil etc.
Preservation
To preserve the whey at room temperature, add an equal part of sugar or molasses to it. For example, if you have 1L of serum, add 1kilo sugar or 1L molasses, otherwise store in a fridge.
Sample Recipe

1. 1 L rice wash

2. add 10L Milk

3. After fermentation, remove curds – around 1L. We’re left with 10L pure LAB (lactic acid bacteria)

4. add 10kg sugar or 10L molasses and this gives us 20L of stabilized lactic acid bacteria serum
oh thanks for the update.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by oluwasemipe(m): 5:23am On Jul 08, 2018
I appreciate your write up but one thing is to write and another thing is to demonstrate or carried out an experiment on what you have written.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 6:48am On Jul 08, 2018
oluwasemipe:
I appreciate your write up but one thing is to write and another thing is to demonstrate or carried out an experiment on what you have written.
Thanks for the compliment. However, I am not only a writer but a practicing organic farmer. If you go through my write-up carefully, you will notice I indicate my experiences. For better clarification on this, you can go through my Instagram page (nigrows_organic). There you will be astonished. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 6:52am On Jul 08, 2018
I will try to quickly drop all the write-up I intend to share here within few days as I have an upcoming online (whatsapp) training on organic poultry production. Pls kindly bear with me. Thank you.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 6:54am On Jul 08, 2018
MULTIVITAMINS AND CALCIUM(MVC) This is a powerful electrolyte that is served directly in water for the birds. It also contains roasted egg shells which serves as a soluble calcium phosphate. Commercial feed are of various quality and some do not contain the required calcium needed by the birds hence your bird may suffer paralysis as a result of weight gain. However, some cases of paralysis may not be related to calcium deficiency. With this MVC, you are covered if you find yourself in possession of such feed.
From 2weeks old. 10ml to 3litres of water. Three times weekly.

PREPARATION: Blend some carrot, cucumber, pawpaw, watermelon, mangoes, banana, pineapple add molasses and ferment for at least five days. The longer the better. Roast some eggshells and blend into powder. After 5days, drain the fruits liquid, divide into 2 parts and add powdered egg shell to 1part then ferment for another two days. After 2days add some fermented fruits juice again from the other part. Once you notice there's no foaming/shimmer when you add the remaining juice the supplement is ready for use. The harvested water is rich in calcium phosphate supplement, carotene, essential vitamins Plus powerful electrolyte that will aid spontaneous growth.

CAVEAT: I shall not be held liable if any mistake or problem occurs as a result of this product.

1 Like

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 7:01am On Jul 08, 2018
MOLASSES is a viscous by-product of refining sugarcane or sugar beets into sugar. Molasses varies by amount of sugar, method of extraction, and age of plant. Molasses is primarily used for sweetening and flavoring foods. It is also used for fermentation of commercial feed to break down some of its synthetic ingredients and it provides energy for the microorganisms to carry out fermentation. There are no organic feeds presently in Nigeria. So what we do to raise our birds naturally is to ferment the commercial feed in order to break down some of the synthetic ingredients in it.

TURMERIC
Turmeric is best known for its powerful antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. It has marvellous antioxidants that increase the antibody titre (immunity) against Newcastle disease, and Gumboro disease. It also counters coccidiosis and reduces inflammations drastically. It also increases growth. Turmeric is also very vital prebiotic to lactobacillus. It energizes and ignites the lab to increase in d gut vitamin A & K are there also.

To maximally optimize turmeric's benefits, I will suggest u add black pepper (uziza) to it. The combination is greater. Uziza is like fuel to fire for turmeric sincerely.

I use half teaspoon of turmeric and less than half teaspoon of black pepper to 3litres of water from 2weeks old, 2times weekly till slaughter. Teaspoon of turmeric is 4-5g, depending on the country's standard (UK or American). You have to be careful not to give above the prescribed dosage as it may lead to weight loss.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 7:12am On Jul 09, 2018
BLACK PEPPER
Black pepper (Piper nigrum) is a flowering vine extracted from the core of a pepper plant, and belongs to the family Piperaceae, genus Piper and species Piper nigrum.
Black pepper contains a lot of vitamins and nutrients. It also functions as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant. In addition, it helps flush toxins and absorb nutrients from its food sources. Chickens are prone to respiratory problems. Adding a few pinches of black pepper to their feed or in their water can help prevent respiratory problems and ease coughing. To achieve this,
I use half teaspoon of turmeric and less than half teaspoon of black pepper to 3litres of water from 2weeks old, 2times weekly till slaughter.

CINNAMON
Cinnamon reduces inflammation and boasts of anti-infectious, antibacterial and antioxidant properties as well. It also aids in the prevention of neurological disease. A compound in the spice helps enhance blood flow to the feet, wattles, and combs to ward off frostbite. It also help with the prevention of congestion, coughing, infection, and respiratory problems. It also helps in treating diarrhoea.
I only use this for treatment if there is need. It works effectively for diarrhoea.
Half teaspoon of cinnamon and Epson salt to 5litres of water for 2/3days.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 12:14pm On Jul 11, 2018
BITTER LEAF
Bitterleaf(Vernonia Amygdalina) according to literature is found to contain carbohydrates, tannins, saponins, alkaloids and non-cyanogenic glycosides with great antimicrobial activities.
Bitter leaf when sqeezed and introduced in "controlled quantity" to the water given to your birds serves as broad spectrum antibiotics with numerous benefits to your birds. simple application: a ratio of 1 part of bitterleaf extract to 3 part of water and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper is a guarantee for preventing & treating coccidiosis, for de-worming and for improved gut health.
There is a caveat to the use of bitterleaf, it should be administered in controlled quantity, even though excesses can be overlooked in organic farming one should be careful. Excess application of Bitter leaf can lead to weight loss due to the fact that the leaves are bitter n so is the solution, it is only natural that ur birds would want to take less water, and if there is a drop in water consumption, there will also be a corresponding drop in feed intake and u know the implication (loss of weight).

1 Like

Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 8:27pm On Jul 14, 2018
smiley
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 8:33pm On Jul 14, 2018
I have posted 3 times but it seems it's not been uploaded. Not so used to this platform. I will repost, maybe I am doing it the wrong way. Thank you all for patience...
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Nigrowsorganic: 7:35am On Jul 16, 2018
Good morning everyone, so for some days now I have been battling on how to post. It either I post and it doesn't show or I am told to repost after few hours. Only to discover this morning that I was banned from posting by antispam till 17th. Don't know exactly what happened but I guess it's probably a mistake by whoever is in charge. As a result of this, I had to create another username(nigrowsorganic) in order to continue. NIGROWS is actually my business name so it even better to switch. Thank you all for reading through patiently. I have just few write-up to drop and my personal chart I use from day old to 6weeks.
I must say that with what I have shared, anyone can start raising birds naturally. However, there are other complex topics in organic poultry production which I will be training people on via whatsapp on the 30th of July. It has a price though but it's worth it.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 10:13am On Jul 17, 2018
NEEM LEAF
Neem ( Azadirachta indica) is an antiviral environmental buffer. The bark, leaves, and seeds are used for a large number of conditions in farm animals. As we have bitter leaf in the south, east and west, the North has enough neem. So where ever you are you make use of what's available both work wonders.
Neem Leaves: Fowl pox –Turmeric and neem paste for external application.
Neem Oil: Fly control -As spray on litter

CAYENNE / HABANERO PEPPER
Cayenne / habanero pepper burns parasites that make their way into the digestive system. Simply add half a teaspoon of any of these pepper to your chicken water as a natural way to keep them away from parasites.
Personally I make use of fresh habanero often than cayenne pepper. It enhances growth of the birds and its hotter than cayenne.
2 medium size habanero (crushed) add to 3litres of water and serve from 7days old once weekly. You may add scent leaf or bitter leaf.
Re: Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. by Ummulkhair20(f): 6:21pm On Jul 19, 2018
Hi everyone, I have been trying to post but each time I do so I get banned. Even with the new name. Don't know exactly what to do now...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's / Production Of 4-6weeks Noilers / Mudu To Kg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.