Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? (4974 Views)

Christians From Other Denominations Will Bow Before You - Adeboye Prays For RCCG / Can You Cancel Marriage Because Of Church Denominations Difference? / "Sex Is Sweet": Kaduna Redeemed Christian Church Of God Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Gullah: 3:33pm On May 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I hear this a lot when topics like these get brought up but I can bet my left nut that none of these Christians really preach this message in your post

Y'all can lie to yourself on the internet but real life proves beyond reasonable doubt that its all a lie as many of these Christian denominations find many others "Heretical" and if you put your ears to the ground you can hear preachers say so so and so denominations are not from Christ while those denominations also return the favour. From Arianism to "Mariolotry", from thefilioque, to anti-trinitarian Oneness Pentecostalism, from hardline Feeneyism to Christian Universalism, from Quietism to televangelists ... any doctrinal standpoint held by one Christian group is guaranteed to be held in contempt by many other (ostensibly) fellow Christians.

"By their fruits you will know them," wrote the unknown author(s) of the book we call Matthew, and those words are quite right. The fruits of Christianity have always been discord among themselves, dehumanization of others and mutual persecution over whatever passes for heresy at that time and place. "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit" applies wonderfully to Christianity. By that very standard, the tree of Christianity is rotten to the core and more prickly than a cactus. It is evident and obvious that there is no "still, small voice" guiding Christians, that the Bible is wrong when it promises to reveal the truth to believers ... because regardless of one's belief, there are millions upon millions of other Christians who are convinced of that belief's incorrectness, convinced that the Holy Spirit has lit their path to truth (and likely think said "heretics" deserve eternal punishment to boot despite the fact that they are all supplicants to the same Lord).
You're not contradicting me, you're merely pointing out the same problems I noticed with some Christians that made me make my original post. It proceeds from ignorance of the scriptures and the true nature of the Church. There are many Christians out there that understand this truth and you can never see them engaged in interdenominational supremacy battles because they know we are all one. When I say we, I mean all who have accepted Jesus into their lives and serve him truthfully and faithfully because I'm also fully aware that there are a lot of wolves in sheep clothing masquerading as Christians while their intention is to deceive the flock. Christ is the universal head of the church and we are all one body in Him. Now remember, I said this church is Spiritual so don't ever expect to see a time where all Christian denominations will come together and be unified under one physical Christian denomination. God knows those who are His and as many as they are in this world, they are part of His Church irrespective of the denomination they belong to

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:34pm On May 10, 2018
hahn:

A place where pastors exploit gullible christians and take their money? cheesy

Wrong! What makes a person a Christian, if I may ask? undecided
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hopefulLandlord: 3:45pm On May 10, 2018
Gullah:

You're not contradicting me, you're merely pointing out the same problems I noticed with some Christians that made me make my original post. It proceeds from ignorance of the scriptures and the true nature of the Church. There are many Christians out there that understand this truth and you can never see them engaged in interdenominational supremacy battles because they know we are all one.
This is a strawman of what they do, most of them don't do "Supremacy Battles" but are simply saying what they think they know to be true. They're not really doing it to bring others down or at least I don't believe that's the intention but simply a way of preventing people from being led astray by "Wrong" doctrines of certain churches

When I say we, I mean all who have accepted Jesus into their lives and serve him truthfully and faithfully because I'm also fully aware that there are a lot of wolves in sheep clothing masquerading as Christians while their intention is to deceive the flock. Christ is the universal head of the church and we are all one body in Him. Now remember, I said this church is Spiritual so don't ever expect to see a time where all Christian denominations will come together and be unified under one physical Christian denomination. God knows those who are His and as many as they are in this world, they are part of His Church irrespective of the denomination they belong to
That's your view
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hahn(m): 6:17pm On May 10, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Wrong! What makes a person a Christian, if I may ask? undecided

You have to believe in the fairy tale of Jesus and pretend to live the kind of life he lived as described in the book of total nonsense, contradictions, magic stories and immense uselessness, the bible. smiley

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by livingoracle: 6:39pm On May 10, 2018
#CaveatEmptor

A man parading himself to be an Evangelist with the name, Evang. Chris Ayokunle Ashogbon a member who worship with Covenant Light Church, minister and mantee with the senior pastor, Nuel Manufor. He stays at Bariga, around Gbagada axis. He is currently being hunted by the Nigerian Police Force and other security agencies for the theft of a hefty amount of foreign currency.

The public and churches in particular are warned to be at alert as this man moves from one church to the other with the intent of defrauding and stealing from innocent individuals.

He was last seen around Ojudu-Berger few days back but is currently believed to be in Sango-Ota, a suburb of Lagos.

Find below a recent photographs of him and his sponsors.

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hopefulLandlord: 6:54pm On May 10, 2018
livingoracle:
#CaveatEmptor

A man parading himself to be an Evangelist with the name, Evang. Chris Ayokunle Ashogbon a member who worship with Covenant Light Church, minister and mantee with the senior pastor, Nuel Manufor. He stays at Bariga, around Gbagada axis. He is currently being hunted by the Nigerian Police Force and other security agencies for the theft of a hefty amount of foreign currency.

The public and churches in particular are warned to be at alert as this man moves from one church to the other with the intent of defrauding and stealing from innocent individuals.

He was last seen around Ojudu-Berger few days back but is currently believed to be in Sango-Ota, a suburb of Lagos.

Find below a recent photographs of him and his sponsors.

Our police should stop searching for this man

Yahweh might've told him to steal the foreign currencies. doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing for a god that commanded Israelites to kill all midianites while keeping young virgin girls as enjoyment

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by jozz(m): 8:01pm On May 10, 2018
Gullah:
The Church that Jesus called his bride has nothing to do with denominations, It is Spiritual and Universal. It comprises of all who are children of God and who worship him in truth and in spirit. It doesn't matter what denomination they belong to, if they have accepted Christ and serve him faithfully, they are part of the body of Christ(Church)

You are completely and emphatically wrong sir.
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Gullah: 8:21pm On May 10, 2018
jozz:

You are completely and emphatically wrong sir.
And what makes me wrong? What is the correct opinion?
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 10, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Christianity also went through a period of doing that though, they just don't do it anymore

Yes, the crusaders
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:55am On May 11, 2018
hahn:

You have to believe in the fairy tale of Jesus and pretend to live the kind of life he lived as described in the book of total nonsense, contradictions, magic stories and immense uselessness, the bible. smiley

Thank God you're wrong. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hahn(m): 10:23am On May 11, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Thank God you're wrong. cheesy

Too bad you can't prove it
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:42am On May 13, 2018
hahn:

Too bad you can't prove it

To prove God is real? undecided

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Yale9(m): 10:05am On May 13, 2018
Someone who doesn't know about christianity should not be taken seriously in a christian thread. Your understanding of the catholic church is a complete calamity

2 Likes

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Yale9(m): 10:12am On May 13, 2018
There may be over 30,000 denominations. But remember that the catholice church accounts for over 50% of the global christian population. Sounds like 2 major denominations to me (catholic and the others) address ur questions to THE OTHER DISAGREEING DENOMINATIONS and ask them what really is their DISAGREEMENT WITH EACH OTHER.

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hahn(m): 8:27am On May 14, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

To prove God is real? undecided

Your image is misleading and intelligence behind it is too low to even counter undecided
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On May 14, 2018
hahn:

Your image is misleading and intelligence behind it is too low to even counter undecided

Could the reason be because of this? undecided

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by RuthlessLeader(m): 11:12am On May 14, 2018
According to Christianity, God will send an atheist who lived a just, loving, and generous life to hell while sending to heaven a serial rapist/murderer who confessed his sins immediately before execution. It is incumbent on conscientious people everywhere to hunt down this god and kill it.

Christian theology is incoherent to the point of absurdity. God killing his son so he can forgive our future sin is like me breaking my son’s legs so I can forgive my neighbor in case she ever parks her car on my drive. It is quite ridiculous.

Asking ‘if there is no god, what is the purpose of life?’ is like asking ‘if there is no master, whose slave shall I be?’

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGjcwurXgAEadj1.jpg

2 Likes

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hahn(m): 1:16pm On May 14, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Could the reason be because of this? undecided

WOw. You have finally stooped to the art of meme arguments. Well done undecided
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by tarano: 1:22pm On May 14, 2018
Go and get your PVC.
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:34am On May 15, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Let's ask Christian sects how to define Actual Christianity:

Methodist: It is accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and publicly sharing that acceptance by getting baptized through sprinkling of water.

Baptist: No, no, no -- you must be DUNKED in water, heathen.

Pentecostal: Yer both wrong -- ye must be baptized by the Holy Spirit and ye must speak in tongues to prove you are saved.

Lutherans: You don't need to do any of that. Our founder said just believe and have faith (oh yeah and he REALLY hated Jews).

Presbyterian: How droll -- lol. No no..you see it does not matter what you do or do not, God has already decided who the true Christians will be and they are obviously all Presbyterians.

Episcopalians: Well, we each get to decide what constitutes Christianity. What is in your heart? What do you think it is for you? What say you, Bishop Spong?

Church of Christ: None of you are going to heaven because you use musical instruments in your services and God hates that.

Jehovah's Witness: Something Something Kingdom Hall; something something no birthdays, several End Times falsely predicted, no blood transfusions,,,,

Seventh Day Adventist: Pah! None of you even have the right day.

United Church of Christ: It's all good; let's listen to an acoustic guitar solo and accept gay people.

Non-denominational: Gay people? ewww. No no, ye must build megachurches with gyms and cafes to be righteous to god.

Catholic: Ummm....oldest sect here, guys. Forget that "accepting Jesus" stuff. You must mediate with God via a priest and eat crackers to get saved (just do not leave your kids alone with said priests, OK?). Oh yeah..and Virgin Mary is way cool.

Church of England: Yeah, what the Catholic said...but divorce is 100% OK.

Unitarian Universalists: Why are you guys even trying to define Christianity? All beliefs are the same (whoops.we aint even Christians).

"CHRISTIANITY: 2,000 YEARS OF EVERYONE MAKING IT UP AS THEY GO!"

Wrong characterisation of the Christian Church.

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:44am On May 15, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

www.livingwaters.com

"Over 30,000 denominations of the Christian church and not one can agree with the other!"

Most of those denominations agree on the basic tenants of the Christian faith. Only on non-essential doctrines there is disagreement.

However, it's human nature to disagree about almost everything. I'm sure you would agree with that.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 1 May 2017 ·

Bill Hicks said: "There are over 30,000 denominations across continents and countries. There are fundamental elements being disagreed upon. And yet you're all reading the same book and all claiming to be possessed by God himself. It's nonsense."

I don't think that there are two human beings on the face of this earth that could fully agree about anything. I'm sure you would agree with that. We disagree about politics, about what foods are the best to eat, about two human beings not being able to agree, which is the best sport, whose teams are best, about why certain things happened in history, and a host of other different issues.

This carries over into religion. While there are many denominations that disagree about how much water to baptise with, when or when not to take communion, about church discipline, there are a number of essential doctrines almost all of them agree upon—and that is that Christ died for our sins and rose again on the third day. So I wouldn't use the fact that human beings disagree on some issues as an excuse for you to stay in your sins. On Judgment Day you will have to give an account of yourself to God, no one else.

Watch -> www.EvolutionVsGod.com

2 Likes

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On May 19, 2018
"In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity."

- Rupertus Meldenius

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On May 22, 2018
"In the early 1500s, a German monk named Martin Luther was so conscious of his sins that he spent up to six hours in the confessional. Through study of the Scriptures he found that salvation didn't come through anything he did, but simply through trusting in the finished work of the cross of Jesus Christ. He listed the contradictions between what the Scriptures said and what his church taught, and nailed his "95 Thesis" to the church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther became the first to "protest" against the Roman church, and thus he became the father of the Protestant church. Since that split, there have been many disagreements about how much water one should baptise with, how to sing what and why, who should govern who, etc, causing thousands of splinter groups. Many of these groups are convinced that they alone are right. These have become known as Protestant "denominations." Despite the confusion, these churches subscribe to certain foundational beliefs such as the deity, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his (2 Timothy 2:19)
"

"Thomas Jefferson once wrote of a preacher, Richard Mote, "who "exclaimed aloud to his congregation that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added that, in heaven, God knew no distinctions"

"For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish" (Psalms 1:6).- The Evidence Bible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OKUCHI11(m): 7:15pm On May 28, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Let's ask Christian sects how to define Actual Christianity:

Methodist: It is accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior and publicly sharing that acceptance by getting baptized through sprinkling of water.

Baptist: No, no, no -- you must be DUNKED in water, heathen.

Pentecostal: Yer both wrong -- ye must be baptized by the Holy Spirit and ye must speak in tongues to prove you are saved.

Lutherans: You don't need to do any of that. Our founder said just believe and have faith (oh yeah and he REALLY hated Jews).

Presbyterian: How droll -- lol. No no..you see it does not matter what you do or do not, God has already decided who the true Christians will be and they are obviously all Presbyterians.

Episcopalians: Well, we each get to decide what constitutes Christianity. What is in your heart? What do you think it is for you? What say you, Bishop Spong?

Church of Christ: None of you are going to heaven because you use musical instruments in your services and God hates that.

Jehovah's Witness: Something Something Kingdom Hall; something something no birthdays, several End Times falsely predicted, no blood transfusions,,,,

Seventh Day Adventist: Pah! None of you even have the right day.

United Church of Christ: It's all good; let's listen to an acoustic guitar solo and accept gay people.

Non-denominational: Gay people? ewww. No no, ye must build megachurches with gyms and cafes to be righteous to god.

Catholic: Ummm....oldest sect here, guys. Forget that "accepting Jesus" stuff. You must mediate with God via a priest and eat crackers to get saved (just do not leave your kids alone with said priests, OK?). Oh yeah..and Virgin Mary is way cool.

Church of England: Yeah, what the Catholic said...but divorce is 100% OK.

Unitarian Universalists: Why are you guys even trying to define Christianity? All beliefs are the same (whoops.we aint even Christians).

"CHRISTIANITY: 2,000 YEARS OF EVERYONE MAKING IT UP AS THEY GO!"
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

"In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity."

- Rupertus Meldenius

Way to go! smiley
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:34am On Jun 11, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I hear this a lot when topics like these get brought up but I can bet my left nut that none of you Christians really preach this message in your post

Y'all can lie to yourself on the internet but real life proves beyond reasonable doubt that its all a lie as many of these Christian denominations find many/most/all others "Heretical" and if you put your ears to the ground you can hear preachers say so so and so denominations are not from Christ while those denominations also return the favour. From Arianism to "Mariolotry", from thefilioque, to anti-trinitarian Oneness Pentecostalism, from hardline Feeneyism to Christian Universalism, from Quietism to televangelists and everything inbetween each categories ... any doctrinal standpoint held by one Christian group is guaranteed to be held in contempt by many other (ostensibly) fellow Christians.

"By their fruits you will know them," wrote the unknown author(s) of the book we call Matthew, and those words are quite right. The fruits of Christianity have always been discord among themselves, dehumanization of others and mutual persecution over whatever passes for heresy at that time and place. "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit" applies wonderfully to Christianity. By that very standard, the tree of Christianity is rotten to the core and more prickly than a cactus. It is evident and obvious that there is no "still, small voice" guiding Christians, that the Bible is wrong when it promises to reveal the truth to believers ... because regardless of one's belief, there are millions upon millions of other Christians who are convinced of that belief's incorrectness, convinced that the Holy Spirit has lit their path to truth (and likely think said "heretics" deserve eternal punishment to boot despite the fact that they are all supplicants to the same Lord)
the Bible claims what?
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:48am On Jun 11, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
"In the early 1500s, a German monk named Martin Luther was so conscious of his sins that he spent up to six hours in the confessional. Through study of the Scriptures he found that salvation didn't come through anything he did, but simply through trusting in the finished work of the cross of Jesus Christ. He listed the contradictions between what the Scriptures said and what his church taught, and nailed his "95 Thesis" to the church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther became the first to "protest" against the Roman church, and thus he became the father of the Protestant church. Since that split, there have been many disagreements about how much water one should baptise with, how to sing what and why, who should govern who, etc, causing thousands of splinter groups. Many of these groups are convinced that they alone are right. These have become known as Protestant "denominations." Despite the confusion, these churches subscribe to certain foundational beliefs such as the deity, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his (2 Timothy 2:19)
"

"Thomas Jefferson once wrote of a preacher, Richard Mote, "who "exclaimed aloud to his congregation that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added that, in heaven, God knew no distinctions"

"For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish" (Psalms 1:6).- The Evidence Bible.
if all that was needed is the deity death and resurrection of Jesus... then what use was the Protestantism because the Catholic Church already believe all that.

1 Like

Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hopefulLandlord: 11:58am On Jun 11, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the Bible claims what?
Holy spirit would reveal the truth to believers
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:09pm On Jun 11, 2018
hahn:

Or as much as a Buddhist and a Sango worshippers
I'd vote Christianity as the most confused religion
LOL IT'S NOT EVEN CONTESTABLE.
THEY HAVE IT ALREADY. grin
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:15pm On Jun 11, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Holy spirit would reveal the truth to believers
you think he didn't?
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by hopefulLandlord: 12:17pm On Jun 11, 2018
Ubenedictus:
you think he didn't?

Of course he did, he revealed the truth to you and those that differ from the truth he revealed to you either don't have it or are lying or are heretics. its almost as if you're holy spirit
Re: Over 30,000 Denominations Of The Christian Church And Cannot Agree? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Of course he did, he revealed the truth to you and those that differ from the truth he revealed to you either don't have it or are lying or are heretics. its almost as if you're holy spirit
nope dear, he formed his Church, he revealed the truth to the apostles and promised his Spirit upon his Church to guide her for all ages.

in the Church the apostles taught the Truth and ministered the spirit, if there was an issue they knew that the holy spirit is with them, they come together, decide on the matter and it is established, they bestowed this teaching to faithful men to teach others, these were given authority in the Church. so that after the apostles died others continued in their place with the same teaching, the same authority and the same spirit and promises. That is the Church, some years later those leaders gathered some of the apostles writings and they recognized according to the spirit that it is inspired, they called it the Bible.

those who fall into trouble are those who leave the Church formed by Jesus and the apostles, steal out one of the Church properties-the Bible, and interpret it how they feel like.... they end up misinterpreting it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Catholic Priest Cures A Cripple In London: Live Video.. Ebube Muonso / Why Is Pastor Kunle Ajayi Not Ministering At This Convention? / What Jesus Meant By "Fullfiled The Law"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.