Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss (1921 Views)

A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 08, 2018
Of recent have been seeing ugly tribalistic posts biting the head of headies awards organizers of tribalism for not including "Easterners" in their awards.
They further went ahead and listed south westerners influenced artists like Run town, Flavour, Phyno, patoranking, Tekno etc which i'm of the opinion they are westerners and not Easterners. They are igbo from descendants living and birth in the west. eg Lagos, Akure, Ibadan etc.

Can they be regarded as Easterners or Westerners?
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 08, 2018
Philip Emeagwali a Nigerian computer scientist was born and educated in Akure, Nigeria on 23 August 1954. is he an Easterner?

1 Like

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 08, 2018
Patoranking , is a Nigerian reggae- dancehall
singer and songwriter . He hails from Ebonyi State [3] and was born and raised in Ijegun-Egba Lagos. speaks Yoruba and sings fuji

is he an eastern or westerner?
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 08, 2018
Chidinma Ekile, the sixth of seven children, was born in Ketu, Kosofe , Lagos State.

Is she an Easterner?
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 08, 2018
Buhari was born in Agadez, Niger. Migrated to Nigeria and became President then was swapped in Sudan for Jubrin.

Is he Fulani, Nigerien, a Northerner, Nigerian or Sudanese?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Fatherofdragons: 6:01pm On May 08, 2018
Drchristian:
Of recent have been seeing ugly tribalistic posts biting the head of headies awards organizers of tribalism for not including "Easterners" in their awards.
They further went ahead and listed south westerners influenced artists like Run town, Flavour, Phyno, patoranking, Tekno etc which i'm of the opinion they are westerners and not Easterners. They are igbo from descendants living and birth in the west. eg Lagos, Akure, Ibadan etc.

ajuju

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by scholes0(m): 7:53pm On May 08, 2018
This is the question haunting the very existence of Nigeria itself.
Right of birth or habitation vs right of indigenship.

All those people you mention are Igbos but are not Easterners.

1 Like

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Emilokoiyawon: 3:07am On May 10, 2018
They are Western-Igbos just as we have Northern-Igbos. grin
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 9:05am On May 11, 2018
OP thanks for the this Thread I've been thinking of this since from well when I first knew how to read.
Indegenization don't work no more we should just practice citizenship by birth. dat way an Igbo man who's ancestral links can be traced to Enugu should have the right to contest governorship in a place like bayelsa so long as he was born there. it would ease all this Tribalism. yes I said it come an kii me cuz I know many Nigerians the old ones especially won't understand this and they are the ones rullin us.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by MetaPhysical: 11:51pm On May 11, 2018
Do you know an area called Obalende in Lagos? How about Idi Araba?

Hausas of the 10th generation or more....but they never claim anything than Hausa and North.

Do you know the history of Chief Landuji Oshodi?
His official title is Balogun Tapa of Lagos. His descendants dont even speak Tapa but they still bear names like Sanda, Umaru, Ndatsu and so on...proud of their heritage but mighty grateful for their legacy. Their ancestor was slave, and later a trader of King Eshinlokun of Lagos. 1700s! We are in 2000s! They have not abandoned their beginnings.

Those who arrived in 1930s should learn from the stocks listed above.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 12, 2018
Drchristian:

Flavour and phyno were born and bred in S.East Nigeria. Both of whom are known for singing in igbo language. You can take their names out of your list.

2 Likes

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 5:34pm On May 12, 2018
MetaPhysical:
Do you know an area called Obalende in Lagos? How about Idi Araba?

Hausas of the 10th generation or more....but they never claim anything than Hausa and North.

Do you know the history of Chief Landuji Oshodi?
His official title is Balogun Tapa of Lagos. His descendants dont even speak Tapa but they still bear names like Sanda, Umaru, Ndatsu and so on...proud of their heritage but mighty grateful for their legacy. Their ancestor was slave, and later a trader of King Eshinlokun of Lagos. 1700s! We are in 2000s! They have not abandoned their beginnings.

Those who arrived in 1930s should learn from the stocks listed above.

So hw has dat helped anything in this country. those are just people that want to stick to the old and archaic Indegenization process. to me Indegenization and the state of origin shit just slows down a countries development.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Emilokoiyawon: 3:20am On May 14, 2018
Sinistami:

So hw has dat helped anything in this country. those are just people that want to stick to the old and archaic Indegenization process. to me Indegenization and the state of origin shit just slows down a countries development.

The problem is your proposal will favor certain tribe (s) over others which will lead to more ethnic suspicion/hostilities that you were originally complaining about.

1 Like

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 9:34am On May 14, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

The problem is your proposal will favor certain tribe (s) over others which will lead to more ethnic suspicion/hostilities that you were originally complaining about.

Explain more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Emilokoiyawon: 1:32pm On May 14, 2018
Sinistami:

Explain more

Part of your goal is to "ease all the tribalism." So if an Igbo becomes governor in Kano (partly because of their relatively high population in Kano) but a Hausa does not become Anambra governor (partly due to their relatively low population in the state), how does that "ease all the tribalism.?" It seems that would enhance tribal suspicion and even lead to outright tribal hostility against the tribe or tribes that seem to be benefiting most due to their nomadic tendencies. So your proposed solution will end up exacerbating the original problem as opposed to solving it. It might be difficult for you to realize but it is likely that the current indigenization policy is one of the factors keeping tribal hostilities and wars largely at bay in this country.

4 Likes

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

Part of your goal is to "ease all the tribalism." So if an Igbo becomes governor in Kano (partly because of their relatively high population in Kano) but a Hausa does not become Anambra governor (partly due to their relatively low population in the state), how does that "ease all the tribalism.?" It seems that would enhance tribal suspicion and even lead to outright tribal hostility against the tribe or tribes that seem to be benefiting most due to their nomadic tendencies. So your proposed solution will end up exacerbating the original problem as opposed to solving it. It might be difficult for you to realize but it is likely that the current indigenization policy is one of the factors keeping tribal hostilities and wars largely at bay in this country.

Well you're right buh dats one of the disadvantages but I know it does have its advantages although I can't state it now.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 3:01pm On May 14, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

This is something that we still see in Nigerdeltan Cities like Warri, Portharcourt etc. But the Current System still isn't just Working for Nigeria. Many Countries like the USA, Great Britain,Etc tried it and it works although they are still some ethnic Clashes they still manage to be one of the most successful Countries in the world. why can't we just try it. if u only look at the Bad side of every idea and you don't take risks then you can never ever be successful.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Emilokoiyawon: 6:20pm On May 14, 2018
Sinistami:

This is something that we still see in Nigerdeltan Cities like Warri, Portharcourt etc. But the Current System still isn't just Working for Nigeria. Many Countries like the USA, Great Britain,Etc tried it and it works although they are still some ethnic Clashes they still manage to be one of the most successful Countries in the world. why can't we just try it. if u only look at the Bad side of every idea and you don't take risks then you can never ever be successful.

Not clear what you mean by Warri, Portharcourt etc. At any rate your intentions are very laudable. However, I am not so sure about the effectiveness of your method (as I stated earlier). Sometimes its almost impossible to legislate 'progress.' It took America 144 years after the abolition of slavery before a black man became president. And even today black Americans still face some serious institutional racism and discrimination. Great Britain has never elected a non-white person as Prime Minister -ever. I rather prefer a regional system of government - this in my opinion will be the most effective in making Nigeria a more successful country.

5 Likes

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by BabaRamota1980: 6:50pm On May 14, 2018
Why are Igbos ashamed of their roots and region, and always agitating to dump their Igboness for a new identification

4 Likes

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 8:51pm On May 14, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

Not clear what you mean by Warri, Portharcourt etc. At any rate your intentions are very laudable. However, I am not so sure about the effectiveness of your method (as I stated earlier). Sometimes its almost impossible to legislate 'progress.' It took America 144 years after the abolition of slavery before a black man became president. And even today black Americans still face some serious institutional racism and discrimination. Great Britain has never elected a non-white person as Prime Minister -ever. I rather prefer a regional system of government - this in my opinion will be the most effective in making Nigeria a more successful country.

Forgive me am only 19 so maybe am just stupid and young buh aren't we all black why can't we just be one. I don't think we dat different from each other like the way they make us to be.
About the Warri and PH thing I mean Cities with mixed ethnicities already do have the problems u speak of I was just agreeing with what u said.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Emilokoiyawon: 9:24pm On May 14, 2018
Sinistami:

Forgive me am only 19 so maybe am just stupid and young buh aren't we all black why can't we just be one. I don't think we dat different from each other like the way they make us to be.
About the Warri and PH thing I mean Cities with mixed ethnicities already do have the problems u speak of I was just agreeing with what u said.

I agree with the emboldened. I actually have chosen (recently) to recognize/respect ALL life. My choice is to see the same life in all humans. However, religious and ethnic identities are very strong. Not only in Nigeria but all over the world. In seeking to find out what works, we have to factor in these realities. Nevertheless, you are quite perceptive for your age and I would advise you to not let go of your optimism - at the very least your heart is in the right place. But recognize this : - To get a great society you need to work on producing great people. Not the other way around.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 9:39pm On May 14, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

I agree with the emboldened. I actually have chosen (recently) to recognize/respect ALL life. My choice is to see the same life in all humans. However, religious and ethnic identities are very strong. Not only in Nigeria but all over the world. In seeking to find out what works, we have to factor in these realities. Nevertheless, you are quite perceptive for your age and I would advise you to not let go of your optimism - at the very least your heart is in the right place. But recognize this : - To get a great society you need to work on producing great people. Not the other way around.

I understand thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Intrepid01(m): 4:47pm On May 15, 2018
Thank you sinistami and emilokoiyawon for the wonderful engagement. Like Emilokoiyawon said, Nigeria is not yet ready for what you're proposing and I don't think we'll be in any distant future.

The South was close to this in the 30s, 40s, 50s but some of the southern elements were not trustworthy. I can confidently tell you Yorubas do not have problem with given settlers native rights in their domain. But it becomes a problem when settlers see the gesture as stupidity and their superior influence. As we speak there are Chiefs in Ibadan who are of eastern dissent and are being treated with respect. they were given the title cos of loyalty and long years of habitation.

The truth is Nigerians are not just black, we are different in so many fronts. Yorubas and Igbos are very different people with different personalities...You can't put the two in the same bucket. Chaos is inevitable

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by BabaRamota1980: 4:16am On May 16, 2018
The three posters above me need to go and find a "kiss and make up" thread to post on. This here is for political turf tackle.
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 9:47pm On May 16, 2018
Intrepid01:
Thank you sinistami and emilokoiyawon for the wonderful engagement. Like Emilokoiyawon said, Nigeria is not yet ready for what you're proposing and I don't think we'll be in any distant future.

The South was close to this in the 30s, 40s, 50s but some of the southern elements were not trustworthy. I can confidently tell you Yorubas do not have problem with given settlers native rights in their domain. But it becomes a problem when settlers see the gesture as stupidity and their superior influence. As we speak there are Chiefs in Ibadan who are of eastern dissent and are being treated with respect. they were given the title cos of loyalty and long years of habitation.

The truth is Nigerians are not just black, we are different in so many fronts. Yorubas and Igbos are very different people with different personalities...You can't put the two in the same bucket. Chaos is inevitable

Well what you said holds water N I think Tribes who are most Marginalized by the Government are the ones who are most likely to not give Native Rights to Settlers. and more likely to feel a Tribe is being Stupid if it does dat. Eg Tribes in the Nigerdelta. even though they are seen as Hospitable to strangers. Thank u though I like conversations like this without the Normal Tribal E fights always.

1 Like

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Sinistami(m): 9:52pm On May 16, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
The three posters above me need to go and find a "kiss and make up" thread to post on. This here is for political turf tackle.

You say this because we don't go Spewing Tribal Insults like you would love us to. Abi? you Should go find a Yoruba VS Igbo Thread to post on too.

1 Like

Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by BabaRamota1980: 12:18am On May 17, 2018
Sinistami:

You say this because we don't go Spewing Tribal Insults like you would love us to. Abi? you Should go find a Yoruba VS Igbo Thread to post on too.

grin grin
Leave me alone
Re: Can igbo People In The South West be regarded as Easterners? Discuss by Nobody: 9:48am On May 17, 2018
Ipob want to be part of other regions by fire by force grin grin so they can be contesting for governor there!

(1) (Reply)

17 Years After Oba Adeosun's Death, Prince Isaac Ayeni Emerges Erin-Ijesa King / How The Yorubas Lost The Ilorin Throne / I Need A Hausa Tutor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.