Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies (24890 Views)

I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / I Finally Had An Extra Year / Carpenter With No Child Sends 33 Strangers To University With Life Savings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Jman06(m): 11:18am On May 09, 2018
If this news is true then I'm highly disappointed in prof. Anwuka. I used to admire him a lot for his doggedness during his time as ASUU chairman.
Instead of working hard to ensure improved infrastructural development of our tertiary institutions he is there chasing shadows. Why do people lose their thinking caps once they get to the corridors of power

Can someone please tell prof that what we need is not an additional year of jamboree in the name of whatever he called it, but an increased funding of the universities to ensure that we have the right equipment in our labs and right manpower to teach the students and the right environment that would promote learning. Enough of this beating about the bush!!
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 11:18am On May 09, 2018
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by aspirebig: 11:19am On May 09, 2018
When people are using 3yrs for B.sc in Abroad, 9months for M.sc and 3 Yrs for Phd.

in Naija you only know when you start. Only God know when you will graduate.

Diaris God ooo

3 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 11:20am On May 09, 2018
which fool made this fool a minister?

3 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Newpride(m): 11:20am On May 09, 2018
The worst is yet to come.....
That’s what u get when an illiterate professor who came from the tribe with the highest number of illiterate in Nigeria is made minister of education.

The current minister of education has dragged Nigeria education system backward compare to other advance countries.

Even the normal four years is a joke.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Veyk(m): 11:21am On May 09, 2018
It's just another way to sideline the children of the masses. I have many friends who are still waiting to go to law school just because LS can't accommodate everybody at once.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by ifytop: 11:23am On May 09, 2018
Anuoluwapo3054:
Are u minding them? is that going to solve the problem of unemployed graduates?all of them are mad
please delete the mindset of working for someone
you can be your own boss
we can not wait for govt to create jobs, you can create one. thanks
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by israelboy1(m): 11:23am On May 09, 2018
it is well
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Gerrard59(m): 11:23am On May 09, 2018
If there would be an assurance of no strike in public schools, good! But it is still a ridiculous plan.

HigherEd:
Now I'm thoroughly convinced that Nigeria is governed by incredibly stupid people.

If this is what so called professors can come up with then I'm truly concerned for Nigeria. Everyone with half a brain ought to know that the problem of higher education in Nigeria is the issue of non functional universities as a result of poor funding and retrogressive lecturers. Instead of talking about equipping laboratories, creating tech clusters, university research park, improving knowledge transfer and pedagogy, reducing class sizes these mumu people are trying to add another useless year to an already useless four of five years.

The irony is that these wehreys have their children in foreign countries where they complete academic curriculum in 3 years for BSc and 1 year for MSc yet more industry relevant than the ones in Nigeria spending close to 8 years achieving a BSC and MSC...

Thank you. They just keep worsening the case for young ones. Coupled with companies asking for not more than 24 for entry-level roles. Honestly, I pity persons opting for public universities in three years from now. Especially those who study a five or six year discipline.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 11:24am On May 09, 2018
while your wayward wards graduates from Oxford, Cambridge etc in 3years abi

mentally mal-functional moorons!
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by victrick105: 11:25am On May 09, 2018
HigherEd:
Now I'm thoroughly convinced that Nigeria is governed by incredibly stupid people.

If this is what so called professors can come up with then I'm truly concerned for Nigeria. Everyone with half a brain ought to know that the problem of higher education in Nigeria is the issue of non functional universities as a result of poor funding and retrogressive lecturers. Instead of talking about equipping laboratories, creating tech clusters, university research park, improving knowledge transfer and pedagogy, reducing class sizes these mumu people are trying to add another useless year to an already useless four of five years.

The irony is that these wehreys have their children in foreign countries where they complete academic curriculums in 3 years for BSc and 1 year for MSc yet more industry relevant than the ones in Nigeria spending close to 8 years achieving a BSC and MSC...

I got nothing else to say... dude, you deserve three bottles of champagne.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 11:26am On May 09, 2018
With thier useless 10-13 courses... We are not serious in this country.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by holuwamosey(m): 11:27am On May 09, 2018
The man need to be admitted in a mental hospital he should kill us knw

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by ifytop: 11:28am On May 09, 2018
good idea
engineering students spend 5 years in the university without any skill
they can be posted to company's for one year internship
even computer science students too
A lawyer student starts answering a barrister after law school
what about the engineering students. you have to write several exams before u can be COREN registered
please i love this idea
i pray it will be implemented
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Carter4luv(m): 11:30am On May 09, 2018
5 years in the university, fail one course u come back again to borrow courses dats already extra year. Plus extra year for training dats 7 years in the university. Service 1 year 8years just for first degree.

Pgd. 2 years

Masters degree. 1 year 6 months

11 years and 6 months just for education.

Searching for job use 2-4 years.

We go die for school.

NUC if ur children we school in Nigeria then the idea is better, but if u will send them to abroad to school and come here to punish the poor Nigerian bcux of education. God will not let ur evil plans work.

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Jethrolite(m): 11:32am On May 09, 2018
HigherEd:
My own university, Covenant uni protested to NUC as regards NUCs mathematics curriculum(2007) being severely outdated and then decided to go with the 'new' 2014 curriculum created by NUC. Only to be told by NUC that the 2014 curriculum was just a recommendation and that CU must revert to 2007 just as every other Nigerian uni, which is outdated. Even the so called 2014 is outdated not to talk of 2007, yet govt wants industry relevant graduates.

Many private universities have queried a situation where a Computer Science student is compelled to take Physical Chemistry in 100 level while counterparts in the UK go straight to the point... I think its high time govt allows academic freedom and let each university determine its own path and stop this nonsense of creating a central curriculum.
This is confusing, why is CU following Nigerian curriculum and not a British or US curriculum as Baze and AAU are doing?

I have a dream of opening a university but God forbid I use Nigerian curriculum, it is worthless with the standard of graduates I hope to create.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by DonroxyII: 11:35am On May 09, 2018
Inioluwa01:
Lord! How did we get here? They had better also send out memos to all Federal institutions, banks, corporate organizations and private companies compelling them to make the age threshold for recruitment 35 years downward. It's 4 years now (minus stupid strike actions and unnecessary delays) and we are still battling the menace of age discrimination during recruitment, and we want to now add an extra year. Rapture should just happen abeg
CriticMaestro:
Make dem come kill us kawai
A common 4 year course , some of us know how many years we spent before completing it
Natural occuring factors like strike and renovation took 2 years
1 year for spill over

And yet they still want to add more years?

Crazy and wicked people
Wisdomkosi:
Dem dey crazy ni!!
einsteine:
May a healthy dose of lightning strike the people who thought of and communicated such a stupid suggestion.
Inioluwa01:
Hmmm
Nukilia:
This is simplya bad idea brought by dullards!
Inioluwa01:
Hmmm
Problem with my MTN network, see Na me last for 11:10am and I first una come here but when I post Na him my network hanged

Onto the matter sha,

It is not the number of years that one spend in school that matters but the quality of education we are receiving , as far as our lecturers keep using the same old and odd notes my uncles used during their own time , the quality of our education shall be old and outdated !!!

Only graduates who developed themselves out of the box shall thus become employable but if u stick to that modules in your school, you will remain dejected !!!

Immediately after I graduated from Unilorin , I served alongside some guys from University of Manchester ..... We were all commercial/social science students. I swear to God, when these guys were recanting their experience as undergraduate students and I compared with mine, I was world apart from them. Its exactly the same as difference between UK and Nigeria

I looked at myself and said, these are the calibres of guys I would be competing with in the Job market ....,

Nobody teaches me before I enter Google and YouTube and many Professional sites as well as other professionals to retrain myself beyond whatever my school has given me !!!

So, Professor Awukah abi wetin, A Nigerian Professor with such a proposal of extra years is suffering from Buharism

What we need is more practical and entrepreneurship ...... All science/engineering students should carry out more practicals thus , their laboratory should be world class while all social science/art/humanities and management students should go out there and do internship and report their experience back to their various department from 100L-400/500L

A political science student should intern with National/State House of Assembly members as well as other politicians instead using THUGs being P.A grin ......

I too sabi pass Anwukah sef grin

2 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Makawhizzy: 11:40am On May 09, 2018
When you have morons in power what do you expect? Instead of removing all the useless courses in the curriculum for a particular field and replace with more practical and real life courses a minister is speaking of extra year. Imagine medical biochemistry having courses like Ordinary differential equations, statistics 201, csc 201 that as to do with archaic 1730 computing as university courses when their mates in developed world's they train on robotics and high level programming
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Carter4luv(m): 11:42am On May 09, 2018
Other foreign countries 3 years of first degree they are granded with the specialty, but here in Nigeria we spend first year learning phy, Chem and England.

Second year they confuse us with strength of material, thermodynamics. Applied mechanics

Year 3 u move to ur departmental courses, lecturers start making guy to come to class to lecture, at the end of the semester they ask u to sort them.

We are still moving yet no where to land

Year 4 they start with ur option, if ure in electrical department dats wen u move to power or electronics. Still yet no gud practical.

Final year they start killing u with project topics and all that.
From day 1 the education sector is bad in Nigeria.

Instead thinking of how to reduce the years ure planning to increase it.

If the education sector we produce good facilities for students to carryout research and good laboratory equipments for practical in each of the department we will be better students. From year one u start going into your departmental laboratory for work in less than 3 years the students we be groom for industries. The fourth year u start ur project and graduate. The system will be better.

Not this plan that won't work.

2 Likes

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Orpe7(m): 11:46am On May 09, 2018
U cant create jobs so ure looking for alternatives for people to remain jobless
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by otokx(m): 11:50am On May 09, 2018
aspirebig:
When people are using 3yrs for B.sc in Abroad, 9months for M.sc and 3 Yrs for Phd.

in Naija you only know when you start. Only God know when you will graduate.

Diaris God ooo

That professor Anwukah or whatever his name is needs to be stripped of his professorship.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by otabaotaba: 11:53am On May 09, 2018
Holy Ghost fire, Buhari Back to sender_you are always bringing backwardness
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by enemyofprogress: 11:55am On May 09, 2018
I just doesn't know why this people are just trying to frostrate us in this country. We wants to leaf higher institutions on time, now they wants to hard more years to it. God will not allows it to work
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by lottomkyes200: 12:00pm On May 09, 2018
jajajaja i laugh in Spanish this pof sorry Prof i mean i thought you went to school now am very sure you are insane when we are thinking of making it 3yrs you want to make it five and am very very sure your children are oversea doing 3 year may amadioha fire u.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 09, 2018
Plan To Attend Or Worship Online

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Badookelzi(m): 12:07pm On May 09, 2018
enemyofprogress:
I just doesn't know why this people are just trying to frostrate us in this country. We wants to leaf higher institutions on time, now they wants to hard more years to it. God will not allows it to work

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by spiritedtete: 12:09pm On May 09, 2018
Now I am well convinced... Nigeria is in trouble ... it is finished!!!
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by enemyofprogress: 12:10pm On May 09, 2018
Badookelzi:

what?I go shook hand for your eyes tongue tongue
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by kmaster007: 12:14pm On May 09, 2018
maybe Dem tink say sch easy like dat.. mumu govt
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Funkybabee(f): 12:15pm On May 09, 2018
Nonsense conclusion,wonder which kind brain full some people head shaaa..would extral year solve the problem of unemployed graduates ni..

My advice for now is for government to focus on IT/SIWES either by posting various student to their course line,empower them from there give them incentive to boost their moral,re-build NYSC let them serve with their course company even if it to sign deal with private sectors no problem after graduation government should prepare some fund if either loan or for best student to start their own business if they can do all this no body will complained that they are not doing anything..

It's just a big slap to a nation for a first graduates or distinction to be searching for job after alot of hardwork,stress and other thing he/she might have encounter..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 09, 2018
The thunder that will strike the people ehn, dey still dry manufacture am.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by redsun(m): 12:35pm On May 09, 2018
The problem of Nigerian is at the foundation level. Children should be engaged interactively from nursery stage and be made to understand the importance and needs for learning without force or violence. They should be in a position where their surroundings and the actions of their mentors reflect progressive learning,critical thinking and positive innovations. And by the time they are in key stage two primary,they will be well attuned with the importance and significance of education,then they will realise they can not cheat their ways through education because by doing so they are invariably cheating themselves,just like the country is doing to herself at the moment.

Nigerian education is a brainwashed one where the educators themselves are as mentally as primitive as the Stone Age people that copies what oyinbos says,without having their own views of how things come to be. It is fundamentally flawed due to lack of common sense, human ingenuity and originality. That’s why Bihari goes to London for headache checkups,even though the so-called universities are mass producing thousands of medical students every year.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 UTME: JAMB Stops Use Of Cyber Cafes For Registration Of Candidates / Almajiri pupils taking Lessons on a drainage in Northern Nigeria(photo) / Gunmen Kidnap DELSU Students, Kill One (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.