Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

"SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE (741 Views)

DROGBA - A Short Story ( Written In Pidgin English) / "Captain Jack": A Val Story Written By John Mfon / I AND Marcel(gay Story , Written By Chidera Chokolate) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by ibgeorge(m): 11:50am On May 09, 2018
Ibiso!!!! Ibiso!!! Ibiso!!!.
I was sitting outside with my neighbours who had just moved into the neighborhood when I heard my name from inside the house, I knew it was Esther, well I am very much aware of the fact that she is my senior and I am supposed to give her all the respect in this world, but there are times when she gets very annoying, always getting on my nerves, I was still outside trying to figure out the reason why she called my name, like , did I offend her? Did I not do all my chores, I was still trying to figure out loud, when I heard her scream my name again. This time, I stood up, went inside to see the reason why my name was screamed like a new brand advertised on radio, I got inside and what I saw got me a bit confused but very much discouraged, I saw my sister sitting like one who had just seen a ghost, I was quick to ask her what the problem was, yes she might be annoying, but for the records, she is my favourite sibling , there are times when I wish she was my twin and there are times I wish she was aborted at conception, like what was mum and dad thinking when they brought her into this world, I saw my hyper active sister humbled like a baby, I tapped her shoulder and asked in a low tune the reason why she called me, she turned slowly and gave me the keep quiet sign on her lip and all she said was ‘watch and learn’ at this point, the level of my confusion grew, I was already getting frustrated with the whole thing until the moment came, the moment that changed everything about me, my sweet loving sister who was always full of life was already caught up in the atmosphere, she was already out of this world, worst part is that she did not realize her phone was ringing on the table, I myself did not bother, I quietly dragged a chair close to me, to join my sister observe what I call the real reason for existence, the reason why we were born, I saw them moving in a straight line like they were trained by the US army, I saw communication going on at every point in time, I saw all hands on deck everyone was involved, everyone was working and contributing his own little quota, I saw Unity, I did not see any general dishing out instructions, I did not notice any leader in there midst , everyone was serving and slowly they were achieving there aim.
The tiny ants had already made a crack in our wall and were working tirelessly to move the very large cockroach they just found lying dead on how kitchen floor. At this point, I was overwhelmed, everything fixed into the right proportion in my head, the real reason for existence was right in front of my eyes, the word that was able to come out of my mouth was SURVIVAL.
Well in case you skipped this earlier. my name is IBISO and this is my story, I was born into a family of 6, my dad and mum had decided they wanted to have a house filled with kids, reasons best known to them, my life began when i ran the ultimate race of survival, I was given a gold medal out of a million contestants mind you I was a sperm cell , I wonder what happened to the millions that lost the race, growing up wasn’t easy, we the kids had to compete for everything, we stepped on each others toes to achieve our goals, there is always a competition for who gets the highest share of everything, who does the least job, who gets the best clothes, who becomes dad and mum’s favourite child, I myself have not always been lucky in achieving any of this, but then I had my moments when I was the star, the star in my family. Even in school, we had something we do at the end of the term, we were given a paper filled with questions for us to answer, at the end, our names are published on the schools website, in an order of first to last, this process they call examination, all these had fit properly in my head , when I realized the ants too want to survive in this wicked and cruel word, they want to have enough to eat, they want to have shelter when the rains come, they too want to survive, and yes they are surviving, peacefully with no wars, no battle, no fights, everyone is considered equal every one plays equal role, even with there population they still enjoy peace unspeakable, like i have not seen the ants in our house staging a war with the ones from our neighbours house, probably using our spoons, broom sticks, forks, toothpicks has weapons, they strive and survive this world by doing things equally, play your role I play my role, they survive by communicating always, communication they say is key, life itself is cruel to man, my question is why can’t we team up like the ants and defeat earth and it’s cruelty, I did not notice any leader while observing the ants, which means the leader was in the battle field with his people working tirelessly to survive, no leader is worth dying for, I saw them doing things orderly no wonder the holy book says , “Go visit the ants and be wise” even as higher beings we were still referred back to the ants, this day changed my whole life, they are very little but they possess too much wisdom for there size, while sitting there, I then realised that this world would be a better place if we the inhabitants can learn one or two from the ants.
No leader is worth dying for, if you want to lead, you must first follow, good leaders are good followers, we seriously need to improve our level of communication, communication I mean just like the ants, you have been to the top, try bringing up younger ones by telling us the dangers we would face, I notice every ant coming down has something to tell the one going up, I think the word there is be your brother’s keeper.
It is true we all have our personal goals and aspirations, but of what relevance is your goal if the aim is not to help others, As we struggle to survive always remember not to pull the ladder that got you up, cause people may use it for your sake on your way of coming down.

Amaibi George

1 Like

Re: "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 09, 2018
Amazing piece, with a great moral. You can do better next time.
cc: makydebbie, have you seen this? wink
Re: "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by makydebbie(f): 12:34pm On May 09, 2018
queenkunta:

cc: makydebie, have you seen this? wink
No baby, I haven't seen.
Re: "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by ibgeorge(m): 1:47pm On May 09, 2018
queenkunta:

cc: makydebbie, have you seen this? wink

Thanks alot, we are getting better
Re: "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by ibgeorge(m): 1:48pm On May 09, 2018
makydebbie:
No baby, I haven't seen.

See it
Re: "SURVIVAL" A Short Story Written By AMAIBI GEORGE by ibgeorge(m): 4:15pm On May 09, 2018
Amazing

(1) (Reply)

The Uncommon Sugar Mummy Part 1 / Comedy And Riddles Time / Be A Proud Freethinker/atheist, Publish Your Diverse Thoughts With Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.