Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,911 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Social Justice Through Music - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Social Justice Through Music (566 Views)

See The Top 7 Nigeria’s Best Storytellers Through Music / Hot 40 Chart (Week 3): Changing The Narratives Through Music (Find Out More) / Davido Speaks On “shaping D Image Of Africa Through Music” At Columbia Uni (vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Justice Through Music by pansophist(m): 3:35pm On May 09, 2018
Just about two days ago, Childish Gambino released a track titled ''this is America'', a video that trend as number one on youtube and gathered over 50 million views. Not to name others like Tupac, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson etc.

It got me thinking, that Nigerian artists are doing little in bringing social justice to the spotlight through their music. The country decays every day and somehow, music relating to sex and romance occupy the spotlight. This is sad and just goes to show that no one cares about the country, even Nigerians themselves in as much as they make their money.

2 Likes

Re: Social Justice Through Music by hammed71(m): 4:14pm On May 09, 2018
don't mind them if it isn't sex.it either weed or money.
Re: Social Justice Through Music by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 15, 2018
they are hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Social Justice Through Music by Nelson21(m): 11:13am On Apr 29, 2020
pansophist:
Just about two days ago, Childish Gambino released a track titled ''this is America'', a video that trend as number one on youtube and gathered over 50 million views. Not to name others like Tupac, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson etc.

It got me thinking, that Nigerian artists are doing little in bringing social justice to the spotlight through their music. The country decays every day and somehow, music relating to sex and romance occupy the spotlight. This is sad and just goes to show that no one cares about the country, even Nigerians themselves in as much as they make their money.

I know this is an old thread. I think falz tried his best in doing that. His album, Moral instruction, reflected alot about what's happening in our society. I think most artist run away from doing that because of what people crave for. People hate hearing the truth and I wonder why. What do you think? By the way, Ive gone through almost all of your threads and I must say I enjoy reading your posts. Very educative with alot of facts. It is really rare seeing posts like yours here on nairaland. A thread like this is suppose to create meaningful discussions but it seems people prefer to discuss in mundane threads like the new SUV davido just bought. Apart from nairaland, what other forums do you frequently visit?

1 Like

Re: Social Justice Through Music by pansophist(m): 4:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
Nelson21:

I know this is an old thread. I think falz tried his best in doing that. His album, Moral instruction, reflected alot about what's happening in our society. I think most artist run away from doing that because of what people crave for. People hate hearing the truth and I wonder why. What do you think? By the way, Ive gone through almost all of your threads and I must say I enjoy reading your posts. Very educative with alot of facts. It is really rare seeing posts like yours here on nairaland. A thread like this is suppose to create meaningful discussions but it seems people prefer to discuss in mundane threads like the new SUV davido just bought. Apart from nairaland, what other forums do you frequently visit?

True. People do not hate the truth, they only hate uncomfortable truth. Especially when the acknowledgement of such truth put them in the faulty side and requires redress. People generally have been soft, that uncomfortable discussions are avoided, talk more of taking positive actions.

Furthermore, celebrities are business people. They give to the society what it wants. From garbage such as mainstream music, entertainment and gossip, it's simple an economics of supply and demand. It is not even about the vilification of those than enjoy such content, I do sometimes, it is more of the avoidance of meaningful topics and engagement in things that brings value. There should be a balance, and the pendulum shouldn't be swinging far to one side.

I frequent mostly quora and reddit alot.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Other Room Wahala: Why John Dumelo Couldn't Keep Any Actress As A Wife / Noble Igwe Noble: How Stopping Yahoo Yahoo Can Save Lives / Royal Wedding: 5 Things You Never Knew About Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Bride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.