Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming (1698 Views)

PRIDE Farm(is All About Rabbit) / Just Killed This Animal But Don't Know It's Name. / Start A Lucrative Business This Year(rabbit Farming) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 10:31pm On May 09, 2018
To fulfill the food demand for Nigeria's growing population, we have to find out different ways of food production.
The rabbit known as “Micro-Livestock” can be a great source of food production. There is a great opportunity of rabbit farming, and commercial production can be a great source of income and employment.
The following are things most people don't know about rabbits...

1) Rabbits are very fast growing animal

2) Their food converting rate is better than other animals.

3) One female rabbit can give birth about 2 to 8 kids each time.

4) Rabbits can be raised within a short space.

5) Production costs are less, compared to other large sized animals.

6) Rabbit meat is very tasty, nutritious and easily digestible. All aged people can eat without any problem

7) There are no religious taboos consuming rabbit meat.

cool In case of meat production, rabbits are placed after poultry.

9) Kitchen wastes, grass, plant leaves etc. are favorite foods of rabbit. So you can raise some rabbits for your family needs, using this type of low cost and easily available commodities.

10) Rabbit farming require less labor compared to another animal farming business. You can easily use your family labor for successful commercial rabbit farming business.

11) Commercial rabbit farming business require relatively less capital and you will get back your investment within a very short period.

12) As it is a highly profitable business, so commercial production can be a great source of earning and employment

13) You can meetup your family nutritional demands through raising a few number of rabbits.

People usually raise rabbits as pets. But raising them commercially, can be a great source of income and a smart way of employment. The annual demand of meat is increasing rapidly throughout the world. Right now poultry, beef and pork meat are controlling this huge demand. Commercial rabbit production can play a very important role to meetup this demand. So rabbit farming business has a great opportunity...

If you would I would take us through how to start a mini rabbitery in my next topic....

Need Consultancy On Rabbits, Call or Chat us on 08054818393....Stay Blessed.

1 Like

Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by DonBenny77(m): 11:02pm On May 09, 2018
Cool
Na to start rabbit farm be that
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by Meajor(m): 6:37am On May 10, 2018
I dey Abuja, I have been able to build the cage, but I dunno where to get them
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 8:13am On May 10, 2018
Call or chat me up on 08054818393
Meajor:
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 8:15am On May 10, 2018
Yes when you are ready and need consultancy, contact me on 08054818393
DonBenny77:
Cool
Na to start rabbit farm be that
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by deborsky(m): 7:17pm On May 10, 2018
OK
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 1:55pm On May 16, 2018
Will be dropping step by step process of starting A Rabbit Farm #StayTuned....
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by CChillz: 1:50pm On Jun 29, 2018
Meajor:
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 9:16pm On Oct 23, 2018
We would be talking about housing...
What is best housing forc commercial rabbits? Cage or Free range??

Feel free to comment...
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by Senatordeproff: 10:57pm On Oct 23, 2018
AgentXxx:
We would be talking about housing...
What is best housing forc commercial rabbits? Cage or Free range??

Feel free to comment...

CAGE
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 12:55pm On Oct 24, 2018
Both colony and cage do have advantages and disadvantages.. I will be treating it in my next post...
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 1:03pm On Oct 24, 2018
Rabbit Colonies

Rabbit colonies do have many advantages. Rabbits require a living area 3-4 times their size, and in a rabbit colony, this space requirement is easier achieved. Your bunnies are free to move about a bigger space, and can interact with other rabbits as they might in the wild. Rabbits have complex social hierarchies, with several smaller groups coalescing into one warren (group of rabbits). Living together in a colony allows them to indulge in this natural behavior.

To some extent, raising rabbits in colonies might reduce your workload, since you are not required to clean individual cages (although you still have to clean their living area in a colony).

In my next post, I will be posting the disadvantages...
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 11:42am On Oct 29, 2018
The following are some disadvantages to colonies that anyone thinking about raising meat rabbits should know about.

When housed together, I found that our does, in particular, got into more territory disputes than I had bargained for. After several bloody ears and mornings finding fur everywhere, I decided colonies were not for me.

Rabbits will mate to establish social dominance, and between males, we found this to be a particular issue. One male kept hounding another to the extent that neither were eating, and their constant running disrupted the rest of the warren. Because does sometimes prefer one buck of another for mating, simply having only one male is not an option at times, especially if you’re breeding rabbits for a constant supply of meat.

1 Like

Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by billyG(m): 9:12pm On Nov 11, 2018
Can rabbits b fed with poultry feeds- growers,finishers?
Re: 13 Things You Don't know About Rabbit Farming by AgentXxx(m): 1:52pm On May 13, 2019
Its not advisable cos poultry feeds are low in fibre which is essential for rabbit nutrition and high in protein.. Best to get feed made for rabbits
billyG:
Can rabbits b fed with poultry feeds- growers,finishers?

(1) (Reply)

My Farming Business Journey From Zero To One With Pictures / Pellets Versus Mash...which Is Better / Used Poultry Cages For Sale In Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.