Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,645 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination (2784 Views)

Janet Kyeme, Lokoja University Student Goes Missing After Leaving For Lectures / Video: Female Student Goes Naked To Protest Poor Students Welfare / Success Adegor's Results, Comes 1st In Class (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Princsk1(m): 8:35am On May 10, 2018
Students and their teacher were left confused after a Cornell University New York, senior Letitia Chai, delivered her honours thesis after stripping down to her bra and underwear in the class to protest against oppressive beliefs and discrimination.

At least two dozen of the students also undressed in solidarity.

Chai removed all her clothes except for her undergarments during her “Acting in Public” presentation Saturday as a demonstration against her professor, Rebekah Maggor, who questioned her attire during her talk about refugee relocation.

“When I got up to start, my professor said: ‘Is that really what you would wear?”

“Your shorts are too short.”

Chai, who said she was filled with “rage and disbelief” after the incident, took to her Facebook to write about the confrontation.

She recalled wearing a “long-sleeve blue button-down shirt and denim cut-offs,” which she alleges her professor told her was “inviting the male gaze away from the content of my presentation and onto my body.

“An international male student agreed with the professor.”

Chai said Maggor tried to justify her question by explaining she was addressing her from the point of view of a concerned mother, to which Chai replied, that her mom “is a Feminist, Gender, Sexuality Studies professor” who would’ve been proud of her for her outfit.

In the class syllabus, students’ “dress” is one of the course requirements.

​“For your performances, dress appropriately for the persona you will present,” the syllabus reads, “For example, how would you dress for a specific job interview?

“How would you dress when introducing a famous speaker at a particular conference? How would you dress to give a speech at a protest rally?”

The students in the class, while still supporting Chai, wrote a joint letter defending the professor’s comments, but nevertheless the faculty will undergo “training in diversity, equity, and inclusion” as a result of the exchange, according to an email Chai posted on Monday.

Maggor and Chai refused to comment further on the issue.

Source: NIGERIA HAPPENINGS

https://nghappenings.com/news/2018/05/student-goes-naked-class-discrimination/

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by EbukaHades10(m): 8:57am On May 10, 2018
Try it in Nigeria. Na pick two or pick 3 u go collect

1 Like

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Princsk1(m): 9:13am On May 10, 2018
grin grin
EbukaHades10:
Try it in Nigeria. Na pick two or pick u go collect
Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by daveP(m): 10:30am On May 10, 2018
the fact she did that doesn't mean she has it right. Crazy cHai. Chai, Nawa!!
Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Les: 10:44am On May 10, 2018
angry angry angry where's the naked student

1 Like

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by qreem231(m): 12:50pm On May 10, 2018
Picture or ahdonbelivit.

3 Likes

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by AshCoded(m): 1:30pm On May 10, 2018
Les:

e sure fr me say u no read d story part o

Na because of the pic u dey do xpect to see made u click on dis story.....

Lol

1 Like

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by AshCoded(m): 1:30pm On May 10, 2018
Les:

Na because of the pic u dey xpect to see made u click on dis story.....

Lol
Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Les: 3:55pm On May 10, 2018
AshCoded:

Na because of the pic u dey xpect to see made u click on dis story.....

Lol
I don't even know if there's any story behind it sef! angry

1 Like

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Ayobami7(m): 6:24pm On May 10, 2018
Na lie jhoor
Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by Viserion: 6:42pm On May 10, 2018
nawooo, meanwhile buhari wey you dey?

Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by LagunJay: 6:44pm On May 10, 2018
Les:
I don't even know if there's any story behind it sef! angry
No mind him.. Feeding ur eyes with nonsense
Re: Student Goes Naked In Class Over Discrimination by acenazt: 10:01pm On May 10, 2018
Guy why where d picture. I no open dis thing to read chai story but u force me so abeg respect ur self put the picture

(1) (Reply)

Ahmadu Bello University (a.b.u.) Zaria 2011/2012 Admission Lists Out / Top Ten Faculties Of Law In Nigeria / Story Behind The Anti-cultist Member That Was Killed At The POLYTECHNIC IBADAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.