Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

All Things Great: A Story By Ayodeji - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / All Things Great: A Story By Ayodeji (363 Views)

Rume(..a Story From The South) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All Things Great: A Story By Ayodeji by Deejaygold(m): 10:31am On May 11, 2018
CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1

“Sorry, with no references I can’t hire you” said the old man; he has greyish-blackish hair, faded blue eyes, wearing a green sweater and square, bulky glasses.

Shit! what the hell am I going to do now “Sir please hire me, I need this job if I don’t get enough money this week I’m kicked out of my apartment, I’ve worked in a kitchen before……”

“This is a restaurant, not a kitchen” the old man interrupted, Ok a restaurant; they’re technology the same thing “And a pretty, young lady like yourself should have a job already” I have to admit he has a point, I have blonde, curly hair, bright green eyes, the average height for a 19 year old and I haven’t really needed a job before cause I only just got out of school and I keep looking for a job because of my phobia of spiders but that’s a whole different story I’ll get into later.

“Well how hard can it be, maybe you could…..I don’t know um…teach me how or I could just be the bin lady but only if it has good pay”

The old man stroke his chin for a bit considering it for a while “I’m not going to put a young lady in bin duty so I guess I will put on someone to teach you how to properly cook in a restaurant, oh and you can call me George or Boss which ever understood”

Before I could stop myself I hugged the ol….um I mean George “Thank you so much George, you won’t regret it, I promise you”

George pulled away and pick up his phone and said “Send Will in, would you?” and hung up

“Where there’s a Will, there’s a way” he said with a grin “Oh and what should I call you?” he asked

“My name is on my résumé”

“I can see that Sarita Cast and it’s a lovely name but I know for a fact that kids with names like yours don’t like being called that, just ask my son William, so do you have a nickname I could call you?”

He’s right I absolutely hate my name “My mother choose that hideous name, just call me Sara”

“Hello George, you asked to see me?” said a voice in the background, I turned around to see who it who it was and it was this really pretty young man, wait did I just say PRETTY what is wrong with me? Luckily I didn’t say it out loud, oh my god that would have been embarrassing; anyway he looked about 20-23 he had dark brown hair with dark rich blue eyes and he was about a head taller than me and there was this connection I had to himfor some reason, then I realised that I was staring so I sifted back to George 

“Oh great, Will this is Sara she is new in this ‘kitchen’ would you please teach her how to cook properly so she doesn’t make a fool of herself” George said

“Why is she working here if she doesn’t know how to cook properly, no offence?” he said, that last bit was directed at me

“None taken” I said

“Well she has grown on me” said George with a cheeky grandpa grin

“Ok then, I’ll be happy to” he said and flashed a gorgeous smile at me, I couldn’t help but return that smile

“Good; see you later Sara, you’re in good hands also I’m looking forward for another one of your great hugs” he said with a wink

Will and I walked in silence for while then out of the blue he asked “So what’d you do to get him to let you have the job, bribe him?”

“What! you can’t bribe someone without any money that’s kind of the point on why I took this job so you can stop accusing me” I jestered “I got this job fair and square thank you very much and if it bothers you so much, maybe you should of just turned down the offer, god people these days”

“Just joking dude” he said with his hands up in surrender “Jeez relax”

“Sorry” I apologized, oh my god what is wrong with me? I just had a spaz, over something that isn’t even worth going spaz over

“So did you really hug him?” Will asked, I laughed

“Yes but it was an accident I was too happy when he gave me the job” I said, with that I earned one of his gorgeous smiles and I felt the red rising in my cheeks, so I looked away “So why is it so strange to hug him?”

“It’s not strange, just nobody has ever tried to hug him before, didn’t think he would like it” he answered “Anyway, this way” directing me into a hallway

We walked in silence for a little until we came to a double door entry and he said “No one’s here today so I’ll be able to teach you without interruptions”

“Cool” I said “And I can cook a little, he didn’t have to put me in the kitchen, I did suggest being the bin lady” I earned another one of his gorgeous smiles

“Ok, sorry to say but knowing how to cook a little won’t do and people will notice if you can’t cook properly”

“How will they notice when there is like 20 people in here?”

“Because, sorry to say this but you are the only person in the kitchen with blonde hair”

“Crap! that sucks, now I’m going to stick out like a crack in a sidewalk” with that he laughed which is one amazing laugh

“It’s going to be fine, as long as you don’t draw attention to yourself”

“Damn, I’m great at drawing attention to myself” I said “By the way, why are you here when the rest aren’t?”

“Oh I thought George told you, I’m his son also the co-manager”

“Well no George didn’t te...oh wait your William aren’t you? Doesn’t it suck coming to work when nobody else has to?”

“Not as much as you think it would, besides I get to meet pretty girls like you” he answered with that gorgeous smile of his “And yes I’m William but I prefer Will”

Whoa, he just called me pretty; oh my god I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks, damn

“Anyway, could you go wash your hands and tie your hair back?” he asked “Oh and put on an apron”

“Sure, I can do that” I said, I got my apron on and I’m in the middle of washing my hands when Will comes behind and I don’t notice his there until he speaks

“Can you hurry it up?”

I jump at the sound of his voice and I say “Can you not come out of the blue and scary the crap out of me please, god”

He laughs his amazing laugh and says “Well hurry up, I want to see how bad a cook you are”

“Hey, I’m not that bad I could be an amazing cook, so don’t judge a book by its cover”

“Prove it” he said with a wink “I bet you are hideous”

I roll my eyes after he leaves and mumble “You wish”

“I heard that”

“That’s the point” I say while walking into the kitchen tying up my hair

“Harsh” he said looking at me with those gorgeous blue eyes of his

I laugh and say with a cheeky grin “You started it”

“Whatever, Hurry up and come here” he said while motioning me next to him at the bench

I moved next to him trying not to go red while goes through the basics

“….you got it” he finishes, shit! I wasn’t paying attention

“What”

He laughs “Pay attention”

“Sorry, start again I’ll give you my full attention”

“Ok I was saying that you have to keep your station clean and your sleeves, don’t stab, harass, provoke or accuse someone and stuff like that, got it?” he asks

“Why would I stab someone or any of those things” I said while flashing him an innocent smile

“I don’t know people are crazy and you went crazy when I accused you of bribing George” he said before I could stop myself I punched him in the shoulder

“Excuse me that was mildly inappropriate” he said with a cheeky grin I couldn’t help myself, I stuck out my tongue at him, he laughs

“Now show me how you cut a tomato”

“I’m pretty sure more than half the population can cut a tomato”

He laughs and says “Well, you might think you know how to cut a tomato but do you known what knife?”

“And YUK! I hate tomatoes, do I have to?”

“Now you do”

“That’s not fair what if I say I’m allergic to tomatoes” I said with a cheeky grin

He laughs again “Too late” he said with his own cheeky grin

“Damn” I said while picking up a tomato

“Good now pick your knife” he directs, I pick up the knife I know that you use to cut tomatoes and started cutting them

“No, not like that” he says, then gets behind me and puts his hand on top of mine and guides it I try so hard to ignore the good feeling of his hand on mine

“How’s the teaching going?” says a voice from the door way

I jump out the sound and Will backs away, I look up to see George in the door way grinning at us like a fool

“Great, she choose the right knife for cutting tomatoes with even though she hates tomatoes” Will answers

“Interesting, Sara how did you know that knife was the right one?” George asks

“Um…my mom she used to be a cook at Napoleon” I answer, Napoleon is a massive famous restaurant, my mom used to be the chef there then she passed away

“How come that wasn’t on your résumé? I would have hired you right away, what was your mother’s name?”

“Melissa Cast, why is this important?” I asked, I hate remembering my mother is dead

“Your mother was Melissa Cast” George and Will said at the same time

“Yes…so” I said wanting to change the subject

“Did you get to cook in the restaurant sometimes?” George asked

“Yes my mom sometimes teached me the basics” I answered really wanting to change the subject

“Amazing, what did she teach you?”

“I…I…can we please change the subject, I don’t like speaking about it” I asked George and he look generally sorry

“No problem, keep up the good work” he said and left

I blew out a sigh of relief and said “Thank god he left” and continued cutting

“Why?” asked Will

“B…because my mother p…passed away four months ago”

“Hey, it’s ok” he said and wrapped me in a hug, god is everything perfect with him, even his hugs are perfect “I’m sorry, should have figured it out by the look on your face”

“No it’s not your fault” I mumbled in his shoulder and pulled away “We should get back to work”

“Only if you promise you’re ok” he said

“I’m Ok, I promise” I said and got back to cutting

After about an hour of cutting and rules, I’ve got most of the basics down when George came back in to check on us

“Time to go home Will, Sara you you’ll be starting on Wednesday but you will be paid on Monday and Tuesday, you just have to come back in the afternoon with Will to learn more, understood” he said

“Understood” I said while saluting with a cheeky grin

“Good, now come here and give me a hug”

I would’ve been creeped out if he didn’t look like my grandpa, so I went over and gave him a quick hug

“Bye now”

“Byes” I said with a smile “Catch you later Will”

“See ya” he answered

(1) (Reply)

Hunger (A Haiku) / Cocoon: The Mother And Her Daughter (poetry By Uc Truth) / Illusion Of Perfection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.