Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

What To Do With His Retirement Money? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What To Do With His Retirement Money? (3638 Views)

Retirement: Annuity Or Programmed Withdrawal ? / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? / What Are Your Plans For Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do With His Retirement Money? by opad(m): 12:49pm On Mar 17, 2007
After Retirement, What Next?

Hi Nairalanders i need your help concerning this, my uncle was just retrenched from the civil Service, works @ LUTH, idi-araba. He is expecting his pay of about 4-5 million, but confused in what to do, as in which business he could go into.

Of course the stock market could be the best option but he can'tjust delve everything into the stock market.

A business that if profit yielding is what is been considered. Please i would appreciate your reply on what he could do after Retirement.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by andrewdg(m): 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2007
he needs to invest. call me on 08052051269 so we can find a business that suits his style or we work on my idea
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by Seun(m): 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2008
Your uncle is well on his way to losing his entire retirement package. My advice is simple:
1) Keep the money in a bank until you know exactly what you're supposed to do with it. It will not evaporate within the six months it will take him to make an informed decision. It will not run away.
2) He should understand that many "investment opportunities" out there are designed to separate gullible people from their money. He should only trust his own judgment.
[s]3) This one is not advice; it's a criticism. He should have been thinking about this years before retirement! It is not the day you are filling your JAMB form that you start thinking about your career![/s]

The business that is right for your uncle depends on so many factors - his skills, his friends, what is in demand in his area, etc. The business section of the forum is full of free ideas - just search. No one is going to spoon feed anybody when it comes to money matters, because we're all looking for money!

1 Like

Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by FemiATL: 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2008
Good point Seun. He can also put it in an investment company in Lagos. There are some good ones, that are run by very credible ex-bankers in Lagos.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by VEGA(m): 2:23pm On Jan 11, 2008
You are right Seun before the hawks try to disposess him of ALL of it.
Not sure though about your criticism since the guy was retrenched. Perhaps not quite near retirement age yet.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by walcolm(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Opad,

i strongly advise you to make a print out of Seun's advise above and paste it on your heart and that of your uncle.

there are investment opportunites out there but they are so many you don't know which one is worth your while and which ones are fraud. your uncle is retired so this might not be the exact time he should be thinking of becoming the next big money in nigeria. so any investment that looks like fast easy money should be ruled out

what he needs right now is capital preservation so that he can have a means of sustenance month in month out for the rest of his life, so extreme conservativeness is advised when he makes any investment!!! my suggestion is that he should divide the money into 5places (20% each)

1. 20% in a savings account with a bank that does not charge unnecessarily on savings account (he'll get about 2-3%interest rate on his balance). this portion is for his monthly sustenance and emergency spending money like medical bills etc
2. 20% in a fixed deposit with any of the top 7 banks in nigeria. he should roll it over with the interest until such a time that his savings account has become depleted. that should be in about 5 years at least if he is frugal
3. 20% in a mutual fund. i will advise you go with either IBTC, ARM or KAKAWA. all the others are not worth it in my opinion
4. 20% in stocks if he wants to be a bit aggressive
5. 20% to finalise on his accommodation if he has uncompleted property because rent will probably continue increasing and after retirement it is very advisable to have your own house and not have to worry about rent

no gambling!!!! this is a life and death issue.be guided
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by denony(m): 2:53pm On Jan 11, 2008
Tell him to meet me for further advice
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by Mant(m): 5:17pm On Jan 11, 2008
Brilliant idea from seun and walcolm, thank for such advice. Similarly i will go with Walcolm advice because of the logical investment he analysed. That money may big but if he failed to plan you will just see that the man is back to square one (may God forbid) therefore pls be guided.

Also pls don't call anybody, let them post their advice, we are all learning.

Best of luck!!!
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by ololufemi: 6:55pm On Jan 12, 2008
Your uncle needs a good investment advisor.

His money can generate returns of at least 30% every month.

On N4 million, 30% is worth N1,200,000.

But conservatively, he could get N 1,000,000.

Investing will pay off for him

He should also replough it into his initial investment.

He therefore compounds his investment.

Thanks
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by spoilt(f): 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2008
stock market. he's too old for business. Who will run the business for him?
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by nigeria1: 12:08pm On Jan 14, 2008
No man is too old.

Nigeria ONE.com
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by kunleola1: 5:04pm On Jan 14, 2008
Ololufemi,
What type of investment would generate 30% profit every month? I dont mind if you can inform me of the investment.
I have interest in it.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by Datope(f): 6:16pm On Jan 14, 2008
Walcom, You have given me some good advise. God bless you.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by yewaman1(m): 11:06pm On Jan 14, 2008
Seun, God bless YOU.

@ Poster shine ur eyes. cool
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by walcolm(m): 11:42am On Jan 15, 2008
Datope:

Walcom, You have given me some good advise. God bless you.

U're welcome
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by bidex(m): 5:57pm On Jan 15, 2008
when we talk of people with brain i think seun and walcom will carry the vote.

@ topic, please dont call anybody because if you do so they will want you to spoon feed them ratehr than investing your money for you. mind you there's loads of frausters out there
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by TYLagos(m): 10:32am On Jan 16, 2008
Hi all,
I am currently working in a MNC and I do not intend to work (for someone else) for life. I am therefore interested in starting an 'upscale' launry & dry cleaning business. I will appreciate any information from members concerning this line of business or preferably refer me to someone who has started one before and is currently running such a business.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by GMG(m): 7:20pm On Jan 16, 2008
One business idea that came to my mind that your uncle could do with the money is to open a frozen depot where market fish mongers can store their goods overnight and also be selling fish as a whole distributor.

With such business, you will always have income everyday. Not many people thought of such a dirty business like this but a white collar business with no idea of what they are doing.

I don`t have all the facts about that with me but could be researched further.

The area of business are:

1. Over storage facility for market ppl to store their goods.
2. Sell frosen chicken and fish as a wholeseller

I believe the money might just be enough for the business.

All the best with your uncle money.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by toladop(m): 9:31pm On Jan 18, 2008
Actually, my opinion is that 4 - 5 million is a small amount of money.I am not so familiar with banking, but if he pays that money into his account, I believe he should be able to qualify for a loan. Some of the advice here are good and very practical but I have an observation about Walcolm's idea. 20% of this money cannot do any reasonable thing on a building especially if he is starting from the scratch. I have completed a building recently and I know how much it costs to raise foundation. It seems your Uncle's retirement is unexpected, so if possible he should get a job that would take care of his needs for now.When I have a good idea on what he should do with the money I would post it. I think the suggestions about savings or fixed deposit account would be O.k while your Uncle is working.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by babadee(m): 1:13am On Jan 19, 2008
playing baba ijebu!!!
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by almondjoy(f): 10:11am On Jan 20, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I ain't gunna touch this topic with 100 foot pole!

4-5 million Naira? undecided

Less than 40 thousand dollars?  To start what kind of a business? In Nigeria? shocked  Na akara you wan fry?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I would have said invest in real estate but the money is just not worth the hassle.  The only thing I have the nerve to invest in in Nigeria is real estate.  Build a plaza and rent out the office spaces or shop spaces. Or build a block of flats and rent them out.

Alternatively convert it to a forex and invest it outside Nigeria! Hopefully, you will sleep better at night! kiss 

Stock exchange in Nigeria?  No way Hosea! cheesy

Goodluck!   Beware of 419ners sha sha!
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by chrysler(m): 12:51am On Jan 21, 2008
The situation of Nigeria is so corrupt nowadays to the extent that even the outside world knows that Nigeria is corrupt

What i will advise you is that you don`t need to publicise this thing too much even to the extent of people knowing your uncle is collecting so much, and some1 advising you to call him or her,

Tell ur uncle not to rush into things.As soon as the money is paid into his bank account,he shld think deeply about businesses that appreciate in value like buying land,house and stuffs like that, i will partially agree to buying of shares only if he can do his findings very well on shares that are worth the while because not all shares are worth investing on.

He can now divide the money into three i.e
1.He can decide to fix one third but

2.He can decide to invest another one third in appreciable things like i mentioned above(The first two, he knows he is not going to get the return back soon but he knows he is investing greatly for the future

Thirdly and lastly he can find a business that will bring return on investment in the nearest future.This is ry important because he may need money for pressing needs soon and it is not advisable for him to invest all in lon term investment.

My last word is dat he needs to open his eyes and brain very well in engaging in all this and he should look out for professionals in these various fields so that he doesn`t make mistakes.

All the best!
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by toladop(m): 8:51pm On Jan 21, 2008
Don't you get my point that 4 - 5 million is a very paltry amount of money .people are still dividing the money into percentages. Tell me what real estate 5 million would buy. this money is 2 small. How much is a new bus or truck? How much is a completed house? How much is rent for an office and other payments/taxes/levies. How much is a solid gen? plus running cost?
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by SAYTEK: 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2008
@ everyone
cool ideas smiley
i advice he strategically move to the northern part of nigeria and start a cyber cafe.
it pays than anything because getting a standard cafe in some part of the north is like getting blood out of a stone.

good luck lipsrsealed
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by Kress(m): 6:59am On Jan 30, 2008
A word is enough for the wise .This is not the time for trial & error.Opportunity once lost can not be regained.Money is not easy to come bye.I'm in support of Seun's views.He needs feasibility study as well.I want to advise you strongly,you dont need to meet anybody & no phone calls,anybody that has any idea should paste it.Dont be lured.Your uncle is counting on you,dont disappoint him.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by Outstrip(f): 4:23am On May 09, 2009
If he is already in retirement then he should be mostly in an income generating vehicle not in anything aggressive. He should not be taking risks at this point.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by romero(m): 11:49am On Dec 16, 2009
Your uncle needs a good investment advisor.

His money can generate returns of at least 30% every month.

On N4 million, 30% is worth N1,200,000.

But conservatively, he could get N 1,000,000.

Investing will pay off for him

He should also replough it into his initial investment.

He therefore compounds his investment.

Thanks

Bros you did not remember to tell us the kind of business will yield 30% on N4ML

kindly generously tell us.

thank you.

On the other hand, I will suggest the uncle of the poster fix his retirement benefits first and roll it over every month.

2ndly, he should please make frantic effort to get another job. His benefits seem small to fetch him the salary he was getting in a month from his ex employer.

Any investment on his benefits must exactly give him his last salary or more than that. And that is why he must get another job immidiately using his working experience.

Most people who dont allow their wives to work are highly affected when they are retired or fired at work.

Are you one of those pple? I believe if you really love her, you will set her and yourself free and empower her.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by emmadeiza(m): 5:31pm On Jan 01, 2010
My candid advice 4 ur uncle is 2 keep d money in d bank first. He should go 2 a farm he knows; if possible, obj farm or any other one and spend a month. He will not need advice 2 know what 2 do with his money. I still prefer farming, say fish farming, poultry keeping, grasscutter farming, pig farming, etc, 2 most other businesses or investments. If properly managed, the risk is very low, prifit high, market av available , I wish him all d best.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by gerald2(m): 1:16pm On Jan 03, 2010
@poster, that money is more than enough if ur uncle can start importation of laptops, palmtops, phones and lots more from china, uk and others. And he wil be selling at a discount prices. What of cement depot thats ok too. 40% of d money you called can do these tins. Think of it.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by hazh(m): 11:09pm On Jan 11, 2010
My idea is that your uncle should relax
a little bite and cool off the stress from
his just recently work-ridden life.

By this way he can settle down and now
focus on the necessary job or business to
venture in.But one thing I know is that the
kind of business he decides to invest in will
be determined by his already aquired skills,
tenacity and level of flexibilty.

I wish him success in his choosen course.

Thank you.
Re: What To Do With His Retirement Money? by LagBlogger(m): 2:04am On Nov 19, 2011
OP,

He could try out his hands on some Business ideas for pensioners

(1) (Reply)

CBN Ban On Naira Cards: How To Make Foreign Payments. / What Business Do I Start With N50,000? / Warning!!!! Dont Do Busines Wit @sam10000 N @blissauto:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.